Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Too Rough!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 12:28 PM
Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Too Rough!

Originally posted by thardwick
I know I'll get a lot of **** about this one...but here goes! The 350Z is the best looking car to come out in a LONG time. I'm amazed at the comments I get about it (Pike's Peak White, Touring, every option, 3M clear bra). The car really is beautiful. However, it rides way too rough! I would be embarrased for all of these people who drool over the car to actually ride in it! I've driven plenty of 300's and from what I remember, they didn't even compare to the 350 in ride harshness. Nissan should have put some sort of sport/touring suspension switch on the car. With 1500 miles on it, I'm really thinking about looking for something else...maybe a G35 sedan?? Surely other people feel the same way and just won't admit it!
If your Z has the Bridgestone Potenza 040s, get another set of tires. The 040s are a large part of the harshness in the ride. I switched to Michelin Pilot Sports A/Ss and the ride improved drastically. Also, the suspension really needs to breakin some, the more miles I put on it, the better the OE suspension rides. This is unusual for most cars but, it's true for the Z.

You will lose several thousand dollars if you trade now, I've driven the sedan and it rides much more smoothly w/ its sport suspension than the Z, it will be my wife's next car. If you put on new tires and springs, the Z's ride will improve a lot and its cheaper than trading it.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:44 PM
thardwick

Default Re: Re: Too Rough!

Originally posted by Boomer
If your Z has the Bridgestone Potenza 040s, get another set of tires. The 040s are a large part of the harshness in the ride. I switched to Michelin Pilot Sports A/Ss and the ride improved drastically. Also, the suspension really needs to breakin some, the more miles I put on it, the better the OE suspension rides. This is unusual for most cars but, it's true for the Z.

You will lose several thousand dollars if you trade now, I've driven the sedan and it rides much more smoothly w/ its sport suspension than the Z, it will be my wife's next car. If you put on new tires and springs, the Z's ride will improve a lot and its cheaper than trading it.
Thanks for the advice! I might have to try that. I'm a huge Michelin fan anyway...in fact, haven't bought anything else in many years. Did you put the same size Michelins on it?
Old 07-30-2003, 04:12 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Re: Re: Too Rough!

Originally posted by thardwick
Thanks for the advice! I might have to try that. I'm a huge Michelin fan anyway...in fact, haven't bought anything else in many years. Did you put the same size Michelins on it?
Yes, but I have a Touring w/5AT which has 17" wheels/tires. The 17s seem to be worse riding than the 18s. A lot of the people here have traded up to 18s, 19s and a couple of 20s! I kept the same size and the Michelins are Ultra High Performance All Seasons, but they out-perform or equal the OE "summer" tires, according to Tire Rack. com, and I do a lot of driving in high altitude on trips, so you may just want the summer tires. Do a search for wheels/tires, there is a huge on-going thread with all the info you could ever use, IMO. Don't sell unless you can get almost all your money out of the Z.

Boomer--my advice, use it or lose it, I don't care.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:34 PM
johnsZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ride

well, it is pretty tight, but relative to my F40, it is soft.
The F40 does not even settle down until 75-80 MPH when the downforce begins to quiet the dance. At 40-50, it is almost unstable. The Z does not like certain concrete roads, but otherwise is stable as a rock.