Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

VDC does not like new rear tires.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 05:01 PM
cer2225

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VDC does not like new rear tires.

I know...Search. Been there, done that. As a matter of fact, I think I have read about every post on this site that has anything at all to do with VDC.

Here is my problem.

I recently replaced the rear stock Pilot Sports as they were pretty worn with some new Toyo T1R's. They are the exact same size as stock. The fronts are probably worn a little more than half. As I was going to the track in a few weeks I put about 500 miles on them before I went. My first session out the VDC went crazy.

Now here's the weird part. Last fall I did 2 days at Watkins with the old tires and never had an issue. I probably put 1-2k on them since then and as a matter of fact I did some laps at Watkins with the old tires 2 weeks prior to the new rears without any issues.

With the VDC off the car drove great. There was no slip at all, so I know the tires themselves were fine. I have read that the VDC does not like to big of a difference in overall tires size front to rear but come on. I replaced the rears with the same stock size and the fronts are half worn. I suppose it could be a bad wheel sensor but if it is that would be some serious coincidence.

Has anyone else with VDC experienced the same problem?
Old 09-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Please post the tire sizes.

And... No saying they are the same as stock isn't enough information. Different z models have different size wheels and tires. Please post the tire sizes you are using to get the best help with your question/problem.

--Spike
Old 09-04-2008, 05:26 PM
cer2225

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ Please post the tire sizes.

And... No saying they are the same as stock isn't enough information. Different z models have different size wheels and tires. Please post the tire sizes you are using to get the best help with your question/problem.

--Spike
245/45-18 rears
225/45-18 fronts

Rears were replaced with the same size (different brand) tires.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:27 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Please go check and make sure they didn't screw up and give you a different sized tire.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by cer2225
245/45-18 rears
225/45-18 fronts

Rears were replaced with the same size (different brand) tires.
Those sizes should work perfectly with VDC.

I find it difficult to believe VDC is failing here (it's a safety feature that has no history of failure), but certainly your tire sizes are correct.

I'm not sure what to think except that the tire-dealer might have mounted sizes that are not what you think you have.

I don't know what to tell you.

--Spike
Old 09-04-2008, 05:42 PM
cer2225

Originally Posted by iStan
Please go check and make sure they didn't screw up and give you a different sized tire.
They are the correct tires. Checked twice. It is wired for sure.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Spike100

^^ If the tire sizes are correct, then it's a VDC failure.

You are the first person reporting a VDC failure. This is very unusual because it (VDC) is a thoroughly tested feature. This is something that you should document and report with complete information to Nissan.

--Spike
---------------------
An after-thought...

EDIT: Your car is not safe to drive with VDC on until this is fixed. You should turn VDC to OFF, report the problem to Nissan, and wait for further instructions.

Last edited by Spike100; 09-04-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:52 PM
cer2225

^^ If the tire sizes are correct, then it's a VDC failure.

You are the first person reporting a VDC failure. This is very unusual because it (VDC) is a thoroughly tested feature. This is something that you should document and report with complete information to Nissan.

--Spike
That's what I was thinking but was just wondering if anyone else had this issue. I suppose it could be a bad wheel sensor but thats just a guess. I will have to call the dealer and see what they say. I am pretty sure they will be of little help.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Spike100

That's what I was thinking but was just wondering if anyone else had this issue. I suppose it could be a bad wheel sensor but thats just a guess. I will have to call the dealer and see what they say. I am pretty sure they will be of little help.
For sure… turn VDC to OFF until you resolve the problem.

You really need this to be fixed. A faulty VDC operation could potentially be disastrous. Consider the fact that VDC will “tap” braking as well as kill power. If VDC were to do “bad,” it could possibly send your car into a situation that you could not control.

Turn it OFF for now, and have the dealer determine the problem and the repair. I am certain the dealer can fix this.

--Spike
Old 09-04-2008, 06:21 PM
cer2225

For sure… turn VDC to OFF until you resolve the problem.

You really need this to be fixed. A faulty VDC operation could potentially be disastrous. Consider the fact that VDC will “tap” braking as well as kill power. If VDC were to do “bad,” it could possibly send your car into a situation that you could not control.

Turn it OFF for now, and have the dealer determine the problem and the repair. I am certain the dealer can fix this.

--Spike
Maybe I need to clarify this a little.

With VDC on it will kick in very early during twisties.Both under acceleration or even coasting through a curve. I have had this car for 3 years and this is a new phenomenon so I am not just experiencing it's normal behavior. It does not do anything when just normal driving. The feeling I have is that the computer is always sensing a difference in wheel speed and once the lateral sensor is past its point the system kicks in. This leads me to think it is always sensing that difference in wheel speed (front to rear). Am I making sense?

Last edited by cer2225; 09-04-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Nismospeed4life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running 285/35/19 Back - 245/35/19 Front with no problems.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:45 PM
cer2225

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
I am running 285/35/19 Back - 245/35/19 Front with no problems.
I agree that it makes no sense. It is either that there is to big a difference in the new tires (yes, every tire is actually a little different in size) But my research shows that the new tires (sock) are actually 2/10's of an inch smaller than the Pilots when they are new or an issue with a sensor or the whole system.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Spike100

Maybe I need to clarify this a little.

With VDC on it will kick in very early during twisties.Both under acceleration or even coasting through a curve. I have had this car for 3 years and this is a new phenomenon so I am not just experiencing it's normal behavior. It does not do anything when just normal driving. The feeling I have is that the computer is always sensing a difference in wheel speed and once the lateral sensor is past its point the system kicks in. This leads me to think it is always sensing that difference in wheel speed (front to rear). Am I making sense?
With VDC turned ON, your driving description should never have any interference from VDC.

You describe something that is unusual. It's worse than "unusual" since you describe a safety issue that Nissan will certainly be very interested in receiving your report.

Please send your problem-report with its full description to Nissan. I am interested in reading Nissan's response to your problem report.

--Spike
Old 09-04-2008, 06:54 PM
cer2225

With VDC turned ON, your driving description should never have any interference from VDC.

You describe something that is unusual. It's worse than "unusual" since you describe a safety issue that Nissan will certainly be very interested in receiving your report.

Please send your problem-report with its full description to Nissan. I am interested in reading Nissan's response to your problem report.

--Spike
Where would I send a report to? Through a dealer?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Spike100

^^ You should start the process with your dealership. They obviously can confirm your problem-report, and describe the issue well, sending a report to Nissan USA.

You should be aware that you are the only one with this problem, so you must provide accurate documentation.

--Spike
Old 09-04-2008, 07:13 PM
cer2225

^^ You should start the process with your dealership. They obviously can confirm your problem-report, and describe the issue well, sending a report to Nissan USA.

You should be aware that you are the only one with this problem, so you must provide accurate documentation.

--Spike
Thx
Old 09-04-2008, 10:05 PM
redlude97

I don't think its VDC failure, it sounds like an issue with the new t1r's having a significantly different level of grip and/or slip characteristics compared to the ps2's. This happens pretty often on g35driver.com because all g35's have vdc. People run into these issues when replacing 2 tires with other tires of another brand.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redlude97
I don't think its VDC failure, it sounds like an issue with the new t1r's having a significantly different level of grip and/or slip characteristics compared to the ps2's. This happens pretty often on g35driver.com because all g35's have vdc. People run into these issues when replacing 2 tires with other tires of another brand.
I was going to say something similar.

Different tread patterns along different levels of grip and worn versus new tires can all creates issues with VDC.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:27 AM
cer2225

Originally Posted by redlude97
This was certainly something else I was considering, In fact, one of the other drivers at my track day said the same thing. As I was planning to replace the fronts with new T1R's very soon because I have a few more track days coming up, I am wondering if I should wait untill after that to take it to the dealer.

I guess waiting might make sense becuase if the problem goes away there will be no reason to take it in. If it is still acting up then I am where I am now and can take it in at that time.

If that is the case then Nissan should advise against replacing only a single set, especially with a different tire. Usually as long as the same tire is on the same axle there is no problem with replacing only 2 with a different brand. I even confirmed this with a call to Michelin and a senior driving instructor before I purchased them so I wouldn't have any issues.

I do want to thank eveyone for thier input.

Last edited by cer2225; 09-05-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:00 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,297 Likes on 1,654 Posts

If that is the case then Nissan should advise against replacing only a single set, especially with a different tire. Usually as long as the same tire is on the same axle there is no problem with replacing only 2 with a different brand. I even confirmed this with a call to Michelin and a senior driving instructor before I purchased them so I wouldn't have any issues.
Nissan probably doesn account for the car being driving near the edge on the track with VDC turned on.

Quick Reply: VDC does not like new rear tires.