Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Weird problem while mounting new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:48 PM
vnarang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird problem while mounting new wheels

So I bought some Volks a couple of months ago, they're Volk CE28N with sizes of 19x9.5 +22F and 19x10.5 +22R. So I went to a local tire shop and ordered some tires, they were BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW with tire sizes of 255/35/19 and 285/35/19. They had finished mounting all of the rims and one of them started leaking, and everytime you pushed into the sidewall of the tire, air would come out as it sounded like it was leaking. This was on the front tire and rim. I made sure the tires were corresponding with the rim. So the guy who was helping me out tried pushing the sidewall on two other rims, and said they were supposedly said air came out when he pushed it. I saw him reproduce the effect he was talking about so I know he wasn't ********ting me.

SO I decided I had waited long enough and asked what other tires I should go with, and he listed off Michelin's and Toyo's being the big ones. I went ahead and ordered the PS2's, 255/35 and 285/35 which should be here tomorrow. Just wanted to see if anyone had heard of this problem before.

I'd appreciate it if I could get some feedback on the situation.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:57 PM
vnarang

Also, I don't know if it matters but I wasn't using the volk/rays valve stem
Old 01-09-2009, 05:03 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like the problem is your tire shop, especially if they were clueless as to why they were leaking. i would be scared with whatever work they perform on your next set... hope you didnt have to pay for the BFGs that they incorrectly mounted or damaged.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:17 PM
bdblackz

Where was the air coming out of, the sidewall/valve stem etc?
Old 01-09-2009, 05:24 PM
vnarang

it seemed to be leaking out of the sidewall..but it just sounded like it was leaking. I wanted him to check the psi and see how much it was losing or was it just a sound but forgot to ask.. everytime he pressed down with his thumbs the pressure would cause more air to come out
Old 01-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Davidb

Did he de-mount the tires? How did the bead area look? Sounds like a install error....
Old 01-09-2009, 05:39 PM
vnarang

Originally Posted by Davidb
Did he de-mount the tires? How did the bead area look? Sounds like a install error....
No he didn't demount the tires. I don't know how any of that sounded, but now that I saw what they did wrong, I'm 100% sure they're full of retards. They put my wheels back on, and I have 'aftermarket' sportmaxx wheels right now, and in the front they mounted a 265/40 (front left) and a 245/40 (front right) and the rears are teh same way. I don't understand how you can put wheels on the wrong way. I swear theyre stupid.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:46 PM
kham25

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vnarang
No he didn't demount the tires. I don't know how any of that sounded, but now that I saw what they did wrong, I'm 100% sure they're full of retards. They put my wheels back on, and I have 'aftermarket' sportmaxx wheels right now, and in the front they mounted a 265/40 (front left) and a 245/40 (front right) and the rears are teh same way. I don't understand how you can put wheels on the wrong way. I swear theyre stupid.
I feel your pain...Ive had Goodyear mount brand new wheels to my car and the ****** forgot to balance the 2 fronts and 1 Rear.. I mean common
How do you balance 1 and forget 3!!!
My car shaked like a mother****er
Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Originally Posted by vnarang
Dude. I had unidirectional tires a few years ago, you know the kind the basically "point" in the direction that they are supposed to be turning. They mounted one pointing to the rear of the car. Sometimes I think a requirement to work at some of these tire stores is to have an IQ less than 100. Mind boggling to say the least.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:09 PM
vnarang

Yeah I got an oil change right after and I was like wtf, this car feels weird? I went home and noticed i forgot to get something and went to my car and was like wait...something is wrong with this picture, i looked and the right rear had the front left tire and vice versa. Common sense. I don't have any jack stands and have no idea how I'm supposed to swap the front left and the rear right. I'm waiting for some friends but theyre not going to be done until 5-6 hours working. FAWK!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:10 PM
vnarang

Should I leave it how it is and go fight with them tomorrow and not get out tonight, or should I just go to a friends later and swap it and tell them how stupid they are tomorrow?
Old 01-09-2009, 06:13 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

If you've got the time, patience and energy, I'd fight them. There's no reason whatsoever that those tires shouldn't fit. My guess is they didn't use enough bead sealant and probably didn't "lube" the tires enough when putting them on. They might even have rolled the edges of the tires. Inexcusable in my opinion. I'd wear 'em out.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:19 PM
vnarang

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
If you've got the time, patience and energy, I'd fight them. There's no reason whatsoever that those tires shouldn't fit. My guess is they didn't use enough bead sealant and probably didn't "lube" the tires enough when putting them on. They might even have rolled the edges of the tires. Inexcusable in my opinion. I'd wear 'em out.
Well right now I'm getting different tires tomorrow and they said theyre going to put them on tomorrow. I left my Volks over there and hopefully nothing goes wrong. I was skeptical leaving them there, I hope nothing bad happens. Right now they put my other wheels on, I guess you can call them 'stock' but what should I do about how they switched the front and the rear?
Old 01-09-2009, 06:35 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

I think I'd get a hold of the manager/owner/high potentate and complain a little bit about the incredibly incompetent service. I can never figure out why tire stores seem to be the worst. I can't say I EVER had a good experience at any of the stores I've been to. I went in last week to have my alignment checked and tires balanced and it took them over 2 1/2 hours. I'd definitely make known all of the problems that you've had and if they can't do better quality work you'll go elsewhere and steer as many people away from their business as possible. Accountability is a strong force.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:52 PM
mpowers

From what you describe it sounds like they split the tire bead when mounting them. That is a installer error so make sure your not footing the tab on there inexperince.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:44 PM
A.H

Wow that sucks pretty hard but if u think about it, it wasn't too bAd because now u have PS2's (that's if they can mount them correctyl)
Old 01-09-2009, 08:52 PM
urbanchaos

I got BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW NT with tire sizes of 255/35/19 and 285/35/19 on my re30s and didnt have any problems with them.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:36 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How about never returning to this shop.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:41 AM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vnarang it's pretty bold of you to leave your Volks at this shop full of retards..

Good luck dude!
Old 01-10-2009, 04:58 PM
vnarang

no problems with the PS2's. got them mounted today, might take pictures within the next 20 minutes because i have to go out to dinner soon.

Quick Reply: Weird problem while mounting new wheels