Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Why do Volks use stickers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:20 AM
fatboy.yoshi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
Engraving could harm the structural integrity of the wheels, plus throw the wheels out-of-balance.

wrd...its like they would have to re engineer the design of the wheel for frivalous design?...
Old 01-20-2009, 07:39 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

engraving wheels with logo's the size of the decals would look crappy in my opinion...but im sure they do decals for the reasons some of you guys said...."to remove if wanted for the clean look"

and yes, i agree with the structural integrity going into question.....

I know for a fact engraving will add stress concentration points on the load carrying "spoke" of the wheel its engraved on. the radius at bottom of the engraving would have to meet a minimum radius in order to be safe. so yes, everything would have to be re-engineered......All of this is based on knowing the loads and positive MS used when designing them...

i do these calculations all day at work......with and without software.......
-J
Old 01-20-2009, 07:58 AM
fatboy.yoshi

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
engraving wheels with logo's the size of the decals would look crappy in my opinion...but im sure they do decals for the reasons some of you guys said...."to remove if wanted for the clean look"

and yes, i agree with the structural integrity going into question.....

I know for a fact engraving will add stress concentration points on the load carrying "spoke" of the wheel its engraved on. the radius at bottom of the engraving would have to meet a minimum radius in order to be safe. so yes, everything would have to be re-engineered......All of this is based on knowing the loads and positive MS used when designing them...

i do these calculations all day at work......with and without software.......
-J

jason is a geniussssss
Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 AM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboy.yoshi
jason is a geniussssss
No he's just really good at pretending.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:10 AM
dhwang80

well that makes sense (jeopardizing the integrity/stress points)
Old 01-20-2009, 10:11 AM
fatboy.yoshi

Originally Posted by AllstarE4
No he's just really good at pretending.
hahah...an academy award is in order for that guy then...
Old 01-21-2009, 10:54 AM
ThE_JacO

No matter how good the stickers are, they cost peanuts to make.
To give you an idea, industrial grade safety instructions for machinery that can take upwards of 150 degrees Celsius (like the "don't touch here you idiot, it gets hot) without warping or fading, guaranteed legible print for 15 years under stress, in large sizes and bright lettering cost as low as 8 bucks each to produce in small batches.

Custom, laser-cut work supposed to take a serious beating from desert sandstorms in waaay bigger sizes than any wheel sticker costs (to make) only slightly more than what they charge you for replacement stickers (if you're wondering how I know, www.desertscorpionteam.com I used to help my brother, the owner, with all the design and print work for the cars, and those take way harsher beatings on a daily basis during a malasyan rally than your 350z will take during its whole life).

Regarding structural stability, one thing is carving a few numbers on the lip, another is a big-*** coaxial engraving on forge aluminium along a spoke. OZ only does it with cast, and never with forged, for a reason I'm told.

I can only assume that they want to give people the option to have a clean wheel (which I would take if I was to buy volk again), and since the stickers are cheap to produce they just dump them in the box for you to use if you wish.
Selling them separately for the accessorize option would make absolutely no difference on the price of the wheel, not enough to bother really.