Old 03-14-2009, 04:27 PM
_NIZMO_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rotating asymmetrical tires

can I rotate my asymmetrical tires....they are the Bridgestone Potenza re050a's
Old 03-14-2009, 04:49 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rotating as far as swapping front and rear? Are you running aftermarket wheels with the same widths? Do you have TCS? I may be misunderstanding your question.

Or are you talking about swapping your left and right tires to combat toe or camber wear?
Old 03-14-2009, 05:11 PM
_NIZMO_

left to right
Old 03-14-2009, 05:15 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...nal-tires.html
Old 03-15-2009, 01:06 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure how you can swap tires and keep them going in the proper direction. Oh wait. Take them off the wheels. That's the ticket.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:46 AM
itsjiggajames

^^ Hey mr. always sarcastic man, if you want to continue relaying those sarcastic remarks, at least be consistent with one thing; a correct answer.

To the OP: asymmetrical tires like the RE050As can be rotated as long as they aren't asymmetrical and unidirectional. (I believe the RE050as are only asymmetrical) So you can rotate left to right but i'd see no difference. There is an outside and an inside to an asymmetrical tire and you cannot take off the tire and mount it on the opposing side going the same direction. (The inside of the tire will now be on the outside, opposing what the tire was designed to do) Cross swapping the tire like in the link DaveZ showed you is only ok for tires like Toyo T1-Rs, or any other unidirectional tire. Asymmetricals can be rotated like you want, but not cross swapped. You will not gain extra life from swapping the tires from left to right, because the inner camber wear will be present still on the inside of the tire.. hope this is not confusing to you.

If you were to have a tire that is unidirectional like the Toyos, you can cross swap and put the inner part of the tire on the outter portion facing the same direction. Your tire is like the Pirelli Pzero tires; there is always an outside to them. They are designed this way to help cornering (hence outside) and inside usually is designed to channel water. You do not want to cross mount the RE050a tires.

Cliffs: You can rotate your tires, but do not dismount and mount on the otherside facing the same direction. Rotating = Removing rim with tire mounted, and putting it on other side of car. Cross swapping = dismounting the right tire and mounting on the left and vice versa, facing the same direction.

Last edited by itsjiggajames; 03-15-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:21 AM
_NIZMO_

Originally Posted by itsjiggajames
^^ Hey mr. always sarcastic man, if you want to continue relaying those sarcastic remarks, at least be consistent with one thing; a correct answer.

To the OP: asymmetrical tires like the RE050As can be rotated as long as they aren't asymmetrical and unidirectional. (I believe the RE050as are only asymmetrical) So you can rotate left to right but i'd see no difference. There is an outside and an inside to an asymmetrical tire and you cannot take off the tire and mount it on the opposing side going the same direction. (The inside of the tire will now be on the outside, opposing what the tire was designed to do) Cross swapping the tire like in the link DaveZ showed you is only ok for tires like Toyo T1-Rs, or any other unidirectional tire. Asymmetricals can be rotated like you want, but not cross swapped. You will not gain extra life from swapping the tires from left to right, because the inner camber wear will be present still on the inside of the tire.. hope this is not confusing to you.

If you were to have a tire that is unidirectional like the Toyos, you can cross swap and put the inner part of the tire on the outter portion facing the same direction. Your tire is like the Pirelli Pzero tires; there is always an outside to them. They are designed this way to help cornering (hence outside) and inside usually is designed to channel water. You do not want to cross mount the RE050a tires.

Cliffs: You can rotate your tires, but do not dismount and mount on the otherside facing the same direction. Rotating = Removing rim with tire mounted, and putting it on other side of car. Cross swapping = dismounting the right tire and mounting on the left and vice versa, facing the same direction.
thank you and thank you also davez#3

davidv
Old 03-15-2009, 12:44 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by itsjiggajames

Thanks for bringing my attention to DIRECTIONAL vs ASYMMETRIC. Very helpfull.

Last edited by davidv; 03-15-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:38 PM
itsjiggajames

^^ wasn't bringing to your attention anything, I was helping the OP. Just stating that you are giving him information he doesn't need, like taking the tires off the wheels, and keeping them going the same direction on the wrong side of the car.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by _NIZMO_
can I rotate my asymmetrical tires....they are the Bridgestone Potenza re050a's
I have RE050A Pole Positions. IIRC, there is an "outside" and "inside" part on the tire. Running a staggered setup, you can only rotate left to right. Why would you even bother rotating these types of tires? The same wear line on the left tire will end up in the same relative spot on the other side of the vehicle...
Old 03-15-2009, 04:11 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spork
I have RE050A Pole Positions. IIRC, there is an "outside" and "inside" part on the tire. Running a staggered setup, you can only rotate left to right. Why would you even bother rotating these types of tires? The same wear line on the left tire will end up in the same relative spot on the other side of the vehicle...
That's what I was wondering also. The only benefit I can see is the myth that people talk about when it comes to fixing toe feathering by swapping the wheels.

IMO, the only way you're going to get anywhere is by dismounting the tire and swapping the wheels so that the inside/outside is swapped.

Of course, we don't even know what the reason for the swap is so it's all conjecture.