Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Massive Nitto Invo Failure - 3 months old

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:42 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i run my close to max pressure (40psi) for mpg purposes but drop it when i go to the track (26 psi).

just make sure that hot inflation #'s are less than the max psi noted on the sidewalls and its fine.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:53 PM
SoldzMyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to run high tire pressure for mileage purposes, but the more I thought about it, the higher the outside temp plus prolonged driving increases the tire max pressure leading to potential bursting. I would not want to drive 300 miles on the 42 psi in the hot summer.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:48 PM
black06z

I used to look thru this wheel/tire thread on a daily basis and 35-36 PSI is about your average pressure. Good luck on getting the new tires. Those bubbles look scary nasty.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:56 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,325 Likes on 1,674 Posts

2 new tires should be easy to get , 4 probably not , considering our front and rear sizes are different.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:44 AM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got off the phone with them. I have to take the tire to discount tires for inspection, if they determine its manufacture error then they will prorate just that tire. They will not cover the other rear tire. Dude wtf, he wouldn't even look at the picture I took, he simply said its a common issue with tires in general.

me- "Well, I don't think its common to have SIX golfball size bubbles, maybe one"

him- "Well its most likely caused by overloading or road hazard"

me- "well f*ck you very much"

So much for Nitto having great customer support. Guess I have to find someone to take me to Discount tires now....
Old 04-30-2009, 07:55 AM
O_SO_ICY_Z

used to work for discount tire...keep at 32 psi for daily use
Old 04-30-2009, 08:30 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

42 is very high, fine on a perfect road, but as soon as you hit a bump or pothole, well.... Herpes happens.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Doh-Joe

Originally Posted by OCMan
i hate nitto tires.
i had 2 set of tires with sidewall cracking. they are notorious for weak sidewall.

no more nitto for me.
oh man I was just looking to get these recently too. Anyone else agree?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:47 AM
avandss

i would be so pissed with that type of customer service
Old 04-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where was that ******** sponsor review for these? haha.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:53 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Motormouth
mid to low 30s is not right for a DD. high 30s is appropriate for most passenger car hipo tires. it messes up the contact patch, sidewall deflection and your fuel mileage running too low a psi.

that is totally ****ed, and hilarious at the same time. I would ask them to replace all 4 even though you can't prove or figure out if they were from the same batch... just to be safe... bubbles are extremely dangerous when they are that big. like blow the **** our of your sidewall dangerous.

good luck.
I've been running 32-35psi on my Invos for over a year now with no issues
Old 04-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Steve-O Z33

I have Invos and I run 36 PSI. I've only had them about a month but no issues yet. Before that, I had Neo Gens and before them, I had NT555s. Never had problems with Nitto tires. Any tire can have a flaw to it and be defective. I won't support a company that won't stand behind its product though. Imo, these tires cost way too much for them not to stand behind them. Especially with the economy sucking *** and lots of people being strapped for cash. So I'll probably be trying out something different when the time comes. F some greedy companies.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Get_Zwole

42 is a little high i think 35 to 38 with 38 being on the high side is good. I keep mine at 35 all times. Terrible customer service for sure that sucks man sorry to hear
Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX350
Just got off the phone with them. I have to take the tire to discount tires for inspection, if they determine its manufacture error then they will prorate just that tire. They will not cover the other rear tire. Dude wtf, he wouldn't even look at the picture I took, he simply said its a common issue with tires in general.

me- "Well, I don't think its common to have SIX golfball size bubbles, maybe one"

So much for Nitto having great customer support. Guess I have to find someone to take me to Discount tires now....
Ask to speak to a supervisor. Ask to speak to his supervisor. Keep on going until you get someone that has the authority to do what you want done. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:52 AM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol @ the overloading..how much can you possibly fit in the Z? A lunch box? Why is it again that you guys are trying to replace both the rears instead of one again? Have you spoke to the vendor you bought it from?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:50 AM
WheelDude.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Sorry to hear about your tire Eric This is the first time I've seen a tire this bad I left a message on your voicemail, please give me a call and we can discuss everything regarding the tires. I made some comments below regarding the tires and my opinions.

A buddy at work told me my tire was flat, I went outside and couldn't find any nails. so after I filled the tires to 20psi I started looking around and felt MASSIVE bumps on the interior side wall.
I know you had mentioned that the tires are always kept at 42psi in the first post, but something did happen to the tire to cause it to deflate. There could still be a nail in the tire that is hard to notice, the bead blew causing the tire to leak (not likely due to the proper tire/wheel size), or in fact a defect (also not likely, but not impossible). If you look at the tire, there is a very dark black ring around the middle of the sidewall. This is an indication that the tire was ran with low tire pressure which did damage the sidewall resulting in the tire bubbling. Just like an engine needs oil to provide a layer between the crank/bearing, a tire needs air to provide support between the wheel and the tire.

I already submitted the pictures to our tire distributor and will contact Nitto to also discuss everything and see about them looking at the tire for you.

-Dan

Last edited by WheelDude.com; 04-30-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the goodyear eagle GSD3s had a known issue with this (not this extreme).

and blasian: my point was that he might have had a tire from a defective batch or something (hence swapping all four).
Old 04-30-2009, 12:04 PM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Motormouth
blasian: my point was that he might have had a tire from a defective batch or something (hence swapping all four).
Ah... I see.

See you in a month
Old 04-30-2009, 12:17 PM
WheelDude.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

I just spoke to Eric on the phone. He did take the wheel/tire to a local tire shop and they did find a nail in the tire.

This was not a defect in the tire. It's really unfortunate and I hate seeing situations like this as the tire is practically brand new and a nail ruined it. If anyone ever notices their tires low on tire pressure, be sure to fully inspect them and find out what the cause was for the low pressure. Even if the tire inflates again and holds pressure you need to figure out what caused the low tire pressure.

-Dan

Last edited by WheelDude.com; 04-30-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So ...

nail + tire = leak
low air pressure + tire = f*cked up sidewalls
f*cked up sidewalls + adding psi = tire herpes

Quick Reply: Massive Nitto Invo Failure - 3 months old