Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

' WHEELS & TIRES '!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 05:15 AM
Driven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TXstyle (or SKIDAZZLE),

Since you've had first hand experience with the feel of ride can you explain or compare it to stock? I want to change suspension for three reasons: Looks (lower) Course handling (adjustable) and just as important to me street comfort. I think the stock setup sucks and compared to my friend's 348 my Z handles like crap on the highway. Drinking coffee is a nightmare! This car is purely a pleasure vehicle for me....but I do like to drink a coffee or pop once in a while without wearing it! Don't flame and say I bought a sports car and should have expected this...something is definitely out of "tune" with the OEM suspension when the ride in a $160K exotic is smoother (yet just as if not more firm). Comments?
Old 03-15-2003, 07:08 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Originally posted by Driven
TXstyle (or SKIDAZZLE),

Since you've had first hand experience with the feel of ride can you explain or compare it to stock? I want to change suspension for three reasons: Looks (lower) Course handling (adjustable) and just as important to me street comfort. I think the stock setup sucks and compared to my friend's 348 my Z handles like crap on the highway. Drinking coffee is a nightmare! This car is purely a pleasure vehicle for me....but I do like to drink a coffee or pop once in a while without wearing it! Don't flame and say I bought a sports car and should have expected this...something is definitely out of "tune" with the OEM suspension when the ride in a $160K exotic is smoother (yet just as if not more firm). Comments?
I will agree with you on the "bouncy" suspension Driven. BUT......When you say the Z handles like crap on the highway.... I guess you mean the bounciness. Cause' the Z handles like a DREAM! At any rate, yes, I can say that the suspension upgrade (coilovers) on Mikes car is an improvement. For me, I can take the stock ride. I'm just not happy about the stance/height of the car....that'll be fixed VERY soon!
Old 03-16-2003, 05:27 PM
Driven

Yup...the "bouncy" is what I refer to. I live where the highways are riddled with cracks and imperfections (like potholes and cows)! Anyway...our winters are hard on the pavement and every year they seal the cracks with that rubbery asphalt...and the car handles these conditions poorly in my mind. So the coilovers make a large improvement on this characteristic? Or are you saying it is just "noticable"? Trying to justify the outlay.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:17 PM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Properly dampened springs should not bounce, regardless of conventional or coil-over(adjustable perch) setup. If you are already experiencing a bouncy ride you would be better off with an adjustable damper setup than just changing springs.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:35 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by krinkov
Properly dampened springs should not bounce, regardless of conventional or coil-over(adjustable perch) setup. If you are already experiencing a bouncy ride you would be better off with an adjustable damper setup than just changing springs.
Yeah, K. I just went through that on another thread. If you buy adjustable springs, the OE shock wear is accelerated. If you only want to pay for one part at a time the shocks are it. Some good ones will be fine until you get some new springs. If you want an optimal ride, IMHO, you need both or a set of coilovers. Prices may be comparable, especially if you wait on springs and have to pay labor again. It may be a wash. Just like taking a bath.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:22 AM
Z-Freak
Charter Member #12

Default help me....

Hey can someone with photo shop set me up with a pic of a LaMans Sunset with TE-37 in ,bronze , Gunmetal , black.... You know how hard it is pickin a wheel please help.... Thanks in advance...
Old 04-11-2003, 10:13 PM
little_rod

Well, this is my first official post on this site, and I feel that I deserve to post in this trend since I have just completed reading this entire thing, lol. Don't have a Z yet, will be getting one this summer. Looking at an immediate wheel upgrade as soon as the purchase, and this trend has been real helpful. Thanks to everyone who contributed, and for schooling this newbie a little.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:32 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Originally posted by little_rod
Well, this is my first official post on this site, and I feel that I deserve to post in this trend since I have just completed reading this entire thing, lol. Don't have a Z yet, will be getting one this summer. Looking at an immediate wheel upgrade as soon as the purchase, and this trend has been real helpful. Thanks to everyone who contributed, and for schooling this newbie a little.
LOL! So tell us. How long did it take to read all the way through?
Glad it was informative for you! Wheels IMO are the "essential modification" for any car.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:00 PM
little_rod

Dude, it took days, literally, to read it all. But I am interested in what goes with the Z, so I had to do it. I am thinking of putting some SSR GT3 on it with the toyos wrapping around them. Just down to sizes now, they don't come in 18x9.5, only 18x9 or 10. So it would have to be 18x8.5 on front and 18x9 on back, but I really want them to fill the wheel well so if that doesn't do it, let me know. I do have concerns over how to keep them clean, as they look real difficult to keep clean. Also, I heard that they were lightweight and I was hoping that they are a tad lighter than the stock wheels, not counting the rays. Any info would be much appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by little_rod; 04-12-2003 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-12-2003, 04:52 PM
screwZ

Default 5zigen hyper black...grey...gunmetal...

CAn anyone photoshop the 5zigen spoke wheels for me on a silver z?

Old 04-13-2003, 12:42 PM
little_rod

Hmmm, after more research, I am more up in the air on what type of rims I would get. Too undecided to ask any questions, so don't worry about my previous questions, lol.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:12 PM
silverz

Default TX Style....

Hey Bro,
Since you are the "Guru" I would like to know a couple of things. I should be getting my rims and tires in about 2 weeks. I have also ordered the Eibach Pro kit to lower it. I'm now on my 3rd set of tires because of the feathering problem. I finally got the car aligned and the toe-in adjusted accordingly and back to where it should be. I have ordered a set of Toyo Proxes TS1 in the same size that you have and don't want to be replacing them 4k miles from now. Will the Eibach kit make my tires wear faster? Will I need to get the toe-in adjusted again after the wheels/tires are mounted? What do you recommend I do once they're mounted to keep the tires from feathering and lasting more than 4k miles. How many miles should I expect to get from the tires? Thanks for your advice and great thread!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2003, 09:12 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Lightbulb Re: TX Style....

Originally posted by silverz
Hey Bro,
Since you are the "Guru" I would like to know a couple of things. I should be getting my rims and tires in about 2 weeks. I have also ordered the Eibach Pro kit to lower it. I'm now on my 3rd set of tires because of the feathering problem. I finally got the car aligned and the toe-in adjusted accordingly and back to where it should be. I have ordered a set of Toyo Proxes TS1 in the same size that you have and don't want to be replacing them 4k miles from now. Will the Eibach kit make my tires wear faster? Will I need to get the toe-in adjusted again after the wheels/tires are mounted? What do you recommend I do once they're mounted to keep the tires from feathering and lasting more than 4k miles. How many miles should I expect to get from the tires? Thanks for your advice and great thread!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats on the AWESOME Tire choice! Man, this 'feathering issue' just plain sucks! I can honestly say that it has not YET affected me to the point of concern. Meaning my TOYO'S show VERY minimal signs of this. I have been constantly monitoring my tires since I installed the TOYOS (waaay back in November I believe) and since I installed the Eibachs (couple of weeks ago) and I'm still doing good. Now don't get me wrong, I have feathering, BUT it is so minimal. Why? I don't know? I would assume the diameter & width change have something to do with it. I do however need to go in for a toe-in adjustment (this week) just for piece of mind. I am well over 5k miles on these tires and they look to have "much more miles to go"! As I stated previously, this is my 3rd set (I had 2 other sets on my GS400) and they wear exceptionally well for such a HIGH-GRIPPING & SMOOTH RUNNING tire. There is NO substitute for tires in this category as far as I'm concerned!
Let me ask you guys. Where are most of you going for your allignments? The dealer or elsewhere?
Old 04-14-2003, 05:31 PM
silverz

Default TX Style

Thanks for the reply. I got my alignment at a Nissan Dealer. I did it there because they did it under warranty, otherwise I would probably go somewhere else. Thank again.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:34 AM
owali1

I want to get some new rims and tires, but I am affraid that the dealer will not be obligated to fix the feathering problem later on because it is not factory equipment. Does anyone have this concern or know what the dealer will do if I did change it by the time they find a fix?
Old 04-15-2003, 03:18 PM
silverz

Default Concerned

Yep, I'm concerned too. I will be getting my new wheels/tires next week. After talking with 3 Nissan dealers, ALL of them said that they will NOT fix the problem once I change wheels/tires. I spoke with Nissan yesterday morning and they said that Engineering is aware of the problem and that he they expect the issue to be resolved in 2-3 months. Nissan did offer to give me a spoiler (at no charge) for my Z because of the tire issue though. I accepted the offer and will be having the dealer install the spoiler on Friday. Good luck!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2003, 08:43 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Concerned

Originally posted by silverz
Yep, I'm concerned too. I will be getting my new wheels/tires next week. After talking with 3 Nissan dealers, ALL of them said that they will NOT fix the problem once I change wheels/tires. I spoke with Nissan yesterday morning and they said that Engineering is aware of the problem and that he they expect the issue to be resolved in 2-3 months. Nissan did offer to give me a spoiler (at no charge) for my Z because of the tire issue though. I accepted the offer and will be having the dealer install the spoiler on Friday. Good luck!!!!!!!!!
Who told you Engineering was aware of the problem and it should be fixed in 2-3 months? I am extremely interested in your info and need it ASAP, please. Boomer
Old 05-11-2003, 11:10 AM
nychotcop

I need a good 5 spoke rim for my Z
Old 05-11-2003, 05:53 PM
koolzero

Default Aren't these purty

These look so awesome (can't wait to get them on my car)
Attached Thumbnails ' WHEELS & TIRES '!!!-dsc00708.jpg  
Old 05-11-2003, 05:55 PM
koolzero

Thumbs up

As soon as my Nismo suspension gets in these will be going on

Can't afford toyo so this is the setup I'm going to go with:
Bridgestone Potenza S-03
Front $202 (tirerack)@ 245/40/18
Rear $249 (tirerack)@ 275/40/18
Attached Thumbnails ' WHEELS & TIRES '!!!-dsc00709.jpg  

Last edited by koolzero; 05-11-2003 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply: ' WHEELS & TIRES '!!!