Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Questions on Tire Sizes on 8.5 FR and 9.5 R

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 10:25 AM
350z4steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on Tire Sizes on 8.5 FR and 9.5 R

1)Are there any advantages on going with wider front tires than say 245's and what is the max tire widths you can get out of 18 inch rims 8.5 and 9.5 safely?

2)Is there a valid reason to keep the stagger for normal driving and what about track use?.. Im asking a general question perhaps all this has been addressed many times but given the cost of tires and the limited sizes for my next purchase I want to think about all this carefully.

3)Ideally I want the car to handle better with a decent ride but where is it diminishing returns on certain sizes?
Old 10-05-2003, 01:54 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tires have massive drag in a straight line. so you dont want your tires any larger then ABSOLUTELY nescassry to do what they need to do.

be like putting a 200hp engine in an F1 car, yeah downforce is good, but not if you dont have the power to hit the performance where it becomes required.

things to consider is under and over steer characteristics, wide rear tires will make it harder to put the tail out. youll notice SCC went with 255 on front and 265 on back for that reason, a bit off of the ussual 245/275 combo most of us have.

then some here have 10.5" rims with 295 and larger, question is, do they have enough hp to really need that much tread, or is it just dead weight. I donno really, personally I went with 8.5/9.5 combo figuring that if I ever do have turbos and what not I will sell off the 8.5s and move the rears up front and add 10.5s in the back. that was my thought process anyway.

widest I would go on those sizes are 255/285. basicly thought it wasnt nescessary at this time for the money. again, if when I replace the tires I have more HP somehow, I may go up a size to adjust. but its easier to spend an extra 100 on tread when it isnt coinciding with a huge rim cost.

hope that puts a few ideas in your head. theres plenty of ways of viewing it. only thing I reccomend is that you sacrifice in tread to increase rims quality... tread will be replaced in a year or 2 with something new, the rims will be with you forever possibly.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:12 PM
350z4steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info..its just that yea I do see alot of 245 275 setups not necessarily bad but I guess is what im asking is it optimum to have that or less stagger or wider. Alot of it boils down to is choices and or lack of them if your looking only at specific makes or types of tires. In all honesty the car can oversteer fairly easily with the throttle planted so going wider in the back isnt a bad thing I dont think..hmmm..