Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Appropriate tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 08:46 AM
peptidbond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Appropriate tire pressure

Good morning,

Before you flame, I did do a search. At any rate, I took the Z in to have an alignment done and have the tires rotated off the rim. If you have less than 12,000 miles, you can get a free alignment and I highly suggest that you do so. I killed my tire noise at low speeds and greatly improved the handling.

At any rate, the tech said he adjusted my pressure back to stock. I was running 35 all around when stone cold. He adjusted it to 32 stone cold. Since my daily commute does not heat the tires very much and it is cold out now, I never get back to 35.

So my question is: is it better to run 32 with the idea that it will be 35-36 hot or should I run 35 cold which will be 38-39 hot? What do most people around here run?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:59 AM
barrybell

Manual says 35 psi cold, this tech maybe thinking he's dealing with 60 series tires that was their cold 32 psi, just a thought.
In Ohio the temperatures will be falling and I think 35 would be the lowest you should go. What do you think?
Old 10-08-2003, 09:25 AM
HaNkYs_Z

Wink

Yup Yup , 35psi!!!!
Old 10-08-2003, 09:34 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Yup, 35 psi--especially if you're going to be somewhere where it gets cold.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:38 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Default Re: Appropriate tire pressure

Originally posted by peptidbond
Good morning,

Before you flame, I did do a search. At any rate, I took the Z in to have an alignment done and have the tires rotated off the rim. If you have less than 12,000 miles, you can get a free alignment and I highly suggest that you do so. I killed my tire noise at low speeds and greatly improved the handling.

At any rate, the tech said he adjusted my pressure back to stock. I was running 35 all around when stone cold. He adjusted it to 32 stone cold. Since my daily commute does not heat the tires very much and it is cold out now, I never get back to 35.

So my question is: is it better to run 32 with the idea that it will be 35-36 hot or should I run 35 cold which will be 38-39 hot? What do most people around here run?

Thanks.
Free rotation. Where is that written at?

My next question is. You rotate them left to right, right to left, right?
Old 10-08-2003, 09:41 AM
whatever
Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Appropriate tire pressure

Originally posted by zand02max
Free rotation. Where is that written at?

My next question is. You rotate them left to right, right to left, right?
I thought the Z has directional tires and different sizes front/back? Doesn't this mean you shouldn't rotate the tires any which way?
Old 10-08-2003, 11:40 AM
peptidbond

YOU SHOULD NOT ROTATE THE TIRES. However , the dealership can. They remove each tire from the rim and rotate them right to left (not front to back in any form). If you do the math and say "switching right to left will screw with the directional pattern", keep thinking.

This is called for by one of Nissans TSB's. It really helped my tire noise while slowing down at low speeds. The difference is amazing.

As for a free alignment, this is typical of any car dealer. After you buy and use a car for a little while, the suspension springs and struts get broken in and slightly change. They might move a little, compress a little. So it is very typical to need an alignment after about 6000 miles. Nissan allows for a free one before 12,000. It is not mentioned in the manual.

I will go with 35 PSI as this is what I think is appropriate. I do not know what that tech was thinking.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:43 AM
peptidbond

Default Re: Re: Re: Appropriate tire pressure

[i]Free rotation. Where is that written at?

My next question is. You rotate them left to right, right to left, right?[/B]
The alignment is free for anyone with less than 12K miles, TSB or not. The rotation is not, but it was covered under warranty for me because it was related to a TSB.