Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Question/Comments regarding snow tires.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Sammzway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question/Comments regarding snow tires.

Hey folks, i'm brand new to the RWD world. I need some help with my Z. I just purchased a 05 6mt enthusiast Z. Since i'm in NY and snow blizzards are around the corner I was planning on purchasing some winter tires. What is your recommendation on snow tires? Any help will be appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Sickboy101

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Dunlop M3 Winter Sports - you won't be disappointed.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:09 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 11-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Sammzway

Awesome, thanks for the chart. I'll shop around for that brand.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Studless snow tires are the best for winter driving since they handle everything (i.e., driving in snow and on ice, and driving in subzero temperatures). If you go with this type of tire, you probably will need 17” winter wheels.

If you are in an area where the streets are plowed soon after a snowfall or you do not get a lot of snowfall or subzero temperatures, winter performance tires are a good choice. You can usually get this tire in OEM sizes for 18” wheels. Winter performance tires are not as good in snow as studless snow tires, but the winter performance tire performs about as well on ice and plowed streets, and it’s much more fun to drive.

I run a dedicated winter tire/wheel setup using studless snow tires because Minnesota experiences subzero temperatures several times during winter. In a warmer winter climate, I would go with winter performance tires.

If you are comparing brands, the chart David posts on your thread is a good starting point.

--Spike
Old 11-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Sammzway

Originally Posted by Spike100
Studless snow tires are the best for winter driving since they handle everything (i.e., driving in snow and on ice, and driving in subzero temperatures). If you go with this type of tire, you probably will need 17” winter wheels.

If you are in an area where the streets are plowed soon after a snowfall or you do not get a lot of snowfall or subzero temperatures, winter performance tires are a good choice. You can usually get this tire in OEM sizes for 18” wheels. Winter performance tires are not as good in snow as studless snow tires, but the winter performance tire performs about as well on ice and plowed streets, and it’s much more fun to drive.

I run a dedicated winter tire/wheel setup using studless snow tires because Minnesota experiences subzero temperatures several times during winter. In a warmer winter climate, I would go with winter performance tires.

If you are comparing brands, the chart David posts on your thread is a good starting point.

--Spike
You pretty much answered all my questions and concerns. Thank you.