Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

GoodYear Eagle F1 All Season Decision [Double Checking]

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 AM
hellsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GoodYear Eagle F1 All Season Decision [Double Checking]

Hello Guys,

I have been thinking since early morning about whether i should ask this question or not.. As you can see i...

Info: I have a 2008 350Z Touring, with no modifications.. Everything is bone stock. Because of the weather changes this year, i had some rough luck with the Z in the South New Jersey area. After the first snow storm i have been reading regarding to the tires, and eliminating them by the experiences of forum members. After the second snow [2 days ago], i have decided to act fast and buy them right away.

I have decided to buy All-Season Tires, and the best candidate for my current bang for buck seems like Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season tires. My tire sizes are 225/45R-18 for fronts, 245/45R-18 for the rear.

I'm currently looking at TireRack.com to purchase these tires, however whenever i add 225/45ZR18 XL Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season tires, it is showing me this message :
The following tire you have selected has a higher load rating than the vehicle's Original Equipment (O.E.) tires. This typically results in increased ride harshness, which some customers may find undesirable.
I picked 245/45R18 Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season for the rear.. It has not given me a warning for this tire.

Looking at the tire names, it seems like there is a difference, but not quite sure what XL means when it comes to details for the tire..

I have searched at another website, mavistire.com, and i was able to find Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season 225/45ZR18 XL 95Y BK 420AAA XL 4 & Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season 245/45ZR18 XL 100Y BK 420AAA XL 4. This seems like they are a match for the tire name..

My question is, what is the difference between the tires on tirerack? Will it make a difference? Since i am sticking to stock specs, should i worry about anything else? Should i consider the tires at mavistires.com because of the matching name? Am i missing something here?

Thank you
Old 01-02-2010, 08:04 AM
ASW

the "ride harness" comment is due to the higher load rating of the tire, the 95Y front and 100Y rear rating. i believe your original tires came with 94Y front and 95Y (or 96) rear. the higher the number, the "stiffer" the side wall, the greater the load capacity, resulting in increased ride "harshness". i don't know what the XL means, maybe XTRA LOAD? just a guess. since your keeping with original specs, anything you buy wont affect the VDS and stuff like that.

as a side note, i just replaced all four also. went through tire rack, had them sent directly to the shop. the shop is pretty reputable so i trusted their opinion. they hate goodyears. in a nutshell, wear too fast and too expensive. hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:31 AM
hellsy

It seems like my front tires are 91W, and the rear are 96W... Now this only adds more questions The set i have picked at tirerack are 95Y XL and 96W. I couldn't find one in tirerack that is close to the stock. Actually this is the only tire that seems to be the closest match..

At the Mavis Tires, both sets are XL specs, and load rating are 95Y and 100Y respectively. I guess it would affect the ride that much?
Old 01-02-2010, 09:03 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe 18 inch OEM tires have a load rating of

Front - 91
Rear - 96

You can go up. No big deal

BTW V, W and Y are speed ratings.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:09 AM
davidv

XL will allow you to run 41 PSI. Since you are NOT towing a trailer do not worry.

Oh yes for autocross and HPDE I run 40 PSI.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:23 AM
hellsy

I was just reading "http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35" when you responded the thread. Thank you for clearing my questions.. I will buy these sets once i get home..

Edit:I assume once i change the tires, the pressure levels also be different from other tires.. What would that be? Or will it still be 35psi ?

Last edited by hellsy; 01-02-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:36 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by hellsy
I was just reading "http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35" when you responded the thread. Thank you for clearing my questions.. I will buy these sets once i get home..

Edit:I assume once i change the tires, the pressure levels also be different from other tires.. What would that be? Or will it still be 35psi ?
Yes. 35 PSI.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:27 AM
hellsy

Thank you.. All left to do is find a good place to get them replaced..
Old 01-04-2010, 03:49 AM
KillerRide350Z

Originally Posted by hellsy
Thank you.. All left to do is find a good place to get them replaced..
so how did it turn out? were you able to find a good place? let me know how that goes, as I had a similar question too.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:59 AM
hellsy

Since i work during the weekends, i usually do not have time to look for places. I'm going to talk to few places near my area early tomorrow, to see if they can do price matching with tirerack.. if not, i will order tomorrow and look for a place to get them replaced.. I will update here once i complete the process..
Old 01-05-2010, 12:42 PM
hellsy

Update:
Since today was my day off, i have went to few tire places.. After going through 3-4 places, i have found one Goodyear store near my area which have found the tires on stock, did a price match with Tirerack, and they charge 20$/per tire for mounting/balancing. I believe Goodyear has a rebate of $80 when you buy 4 tires.. I have found out that, if you open a Goodyear account [and if you qualify], it will bump up the rebate to 160$..So i bought the tires, opened up the account and got the 160$ rebate.. I will get the tires mounted tomorrow at 1PM. I will get some pictures afterwards..
Old 02-08-2010, 02:00 PM
hellsy

I know this thread is a tad bit old, just over a month, i just wanted to update this thread with my last month observations.. I had the tires mounted on Jan 6th, and have been driving non-stop. I have nearly 3k miles on the tires so far, and i just went through two snow storms, and one more approaching.. I am very happy with these tires.. The ride comfort, and cabin noise have been improved..Turn responses are excellent. Snow driving, well, is within acceptable limits.. Definitely a good choice, thank you for the help..