Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

2 wk old Volk Phantom Series Wheels...Paint Flaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:58 AM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where were you driving? Was there gravel or debris?

That said, I still think that the chipping is unacceptable.

My whites have been pretty sturdy. Recently curbed a front
which will require a respray of the outer lip. The barrels have
road nicks, but then again I put 20k miles on them...
Old 03-22-2010, 09:00 PM
ZeezCustomz

They the damage was significant and unexceptanble but.... They are bringing back the GTS's this summer, but they said I would have to send my wheels back now and wait the whole summer to get a replacement set. Ah...no, can't do that, I drive my Z like 5 months out of the year and I can't wait that long for thier mistakes.

Basically they sent me a set of gay lugz and and set of center caps for me to sell so I could use the money to repaint my exsisting wheels. No wonder they discontinued the Phantom Black....

Whatever, some might say I should have waited for the replacement set of pick out a new set, but I didn't save up $3K to buy wheels...only to have to deal with all of this. I spent hours on the phone and sending emails with these people and even though I was right in the end they screwed me over. I have an account at a powdercoat shop and can have my wheels blasted and powdercoated for like $600.. Sorry but lugs and center caps doesnt even come close to covering half of this cost.

Originally Posted by zerafian
damage wasnt significant enough im guessing
Old 03-22-2010, 09:01 PM
ZeezCustomz

Originally Posted by lgear080
Where were you driving? Was there gravel or debris?

That said, I still think that the chipping is unacceptable.

My whites have been pretty sturdy. Recently curbed a front
which will require a respray of the outer lip. The barrels have
road nicks, but then again I put 20k miles on them...
I drove the car from storage to my house, all pavement and no road debri. Sorry bout your curb action
Old 04-15-2010, 08:16 PM
ZeezCustomz

I am sure you guys will get a kick outta this. This large piece of paint flaked off as I was washing my wheels 2 days ago...and no I didn't use solvents of any kind, just plain ole' water out of the garden hose. Thanks again VOLK!

Mackin continues to blows me off, I need your guys' help and support if possible.

2 wk old Volk Phantom Series Wheels...Paint Flaking-wheel-flake.jpg

Last edited by ZeezCustomz; 04-15-2010 at 09:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
markm5 (02-18-2021)
Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 PM
sfearl1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeezCustomz
I am sure you guys will get a kick outta this. This large piece of paint flaked off as I was washing my wheels 2 days ago...and noI used no solvents of any kind, just plain ole' water. Thanks again VOLK!

Mackin continues to blows me off, I need your guys' help and support if possible.

Attachment 284277
could you help and support us with some more pics of the matte black amuse front and phantoms you're rockin!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 09:40 PM
ZeezCustomz

LOL, thanks. I haven't yet taken photos since I added the 07 hood and headlights but you can see photos in my album on this forum.

Originally Posted by sfearl1
could you help and support us with some more pics of the matte black amuse front and phantoms you're rockin!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 12:08 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Attachment 284277

i thought they offered replacements when they do the next run of Phantom GT-S What support do you want, should we start phoning Mackin and tell them they need to crank out a few sets of GT-Ss for you sounds like they will take care of your problem but you don't want to wait It sounds sh1tty after paying that kind of $$$ but what else can they do, see if you can keep your wheels until they do the next run of GT-S and then send yours back.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:39 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mackin doesn't care about your woes, story at 11.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:29 AM
jtabraham

Old 04-16-2010, 11:04 AM
ZeezCustomz

They did offer it but yeah, this is my only set of wheels to drive the car with. I live in MN so I only get to drive my Z for like 4-5 months out of the year.

Exactly, why won't they let me keep these wheels until the next run of GTS's are done? It's so much BS, theres no reason I can just drive on these till new ones are made and switched out to me. I can't begin to tell you how many calls and emails I have done with these people and it always the same outcome...ridiculous. What's their point of even claiming they give you a warranty if they do nothing about it. I waited 3 months for these wheels originally, I can't justify to wait another 2-3 for a replacement set. Summer will be over and my Z will go back to storage and that's just not acceptable. Putting my Z away for the winter is hard enough, I can't put it away during the summer because of some shister company.

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
i thought they offered replacements when they do the next run of Phantom GT-S What support do you want, should we start phoning Mackin and tell them they need to crank out a few sets of GT-Ss for you sounds like they will take care of your problem but you don't want to wait It sounds sh1tty after paying that kind of $$$ but what else can they do, see if you can keep your wheels until they do the next run of GT-S and then send yours back.

Last edited by ZeezCustomz; 04-16-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:04 AM
ZeezCustomz

Originally Posted by jtabraham
I love it! Nice work jt, thanks for the laugh!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:06 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

They did offer it but yeah, this is my only set of wheels to drive the car with. I live in MN so I only get to drive my Z for like 4-5 months out of the year.

Exactly, why won't let me keep these wheels until the next run of GTS's are done? It's so much BS, theres no reason I can just drive on these till new ones are made and shipped to me. I can't being to tell you how many calls and emails I have done with these people and it always the same outcome...ridiculous. What's their point of even claiming they give you a warranty if they do nothing about it. I waited 3 months for these wheels originally, I can't justify to wait another 2-3 for a replacement set. Summer will be over and my Z will go back to storage and that's just not acceptable. Putting my Z away for the winter is hard enough, I can't put it away during the summer because of some shister company.
You gotta be kidding. You think they are going to send you a set of wheels FIRST and then you return your damaged set?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Steve-O Z33

Honestly, you could probably have them all powdercoated for less than $500. Yeah, it sucks... but at least they'll hold up. If you return these to Mackin, you're probably looking at shipping charges anyway. Might as well put that toward some powdercoat.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:20 PM
ZeezCustomz

Originally Posted by dikspiel
You gotta be kidding. You think they are going to send you a set of wheels FIRST and then you return your damaged set?
You have to be kidding me...there's always someone that thinks negatively. No, sorry I never said that I wanted them shipped to me before I return the originals. Read the posts before you go jumping to conclusions. I said I can't send my wheels back to them and then wait 3 months for the replacements. Obviously I would send the originals back when the new one's are ready. I would never expect them to send me a set while I have set to be returned in my possesion.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:23 PM
ZeezCustomz

Originally Posted by Steve-O Z33
Honestly, you could probably have them all powdercoated for less than $500. Yeah, it sucks... but at least they'll hold up. If you return these to Mackin, you're probably looking at shipping charges anyway. Might as well put that toward some powdercoat.
Yes but the GTS need to be separated to be painted or powder coated. My problem is that no one at Volk, Rays, Mackin will give me torques specs so I have to guess what to torques them back to. I work at a custom paint shop and I even have an account at a powdercoat shop so I am getting good pricing.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Steve-O Z33

Yes but the GTS need to be separated to be painted or powder coated. My problem is that no one at Volk, Rays, Mackin will give me torques specs so I have to guess what to torques them back to. I work at a custom paint shop and I even have an account at a powdercoat shop so I am getting good pricing.
Use a TQ wrench and slowly increase the settings until you find the right one?

I'm sure some of these wheel refinishing places know how to do this. People have been taking wheels apart for customization for years. In NC, I was quoted at $45 per wheel to powdercoat my centers on my GTSs. That's with the shop taking them apart and reassembling them. I decided against it but I thought it was cheap. The same shop has done plenty of 2 piece wheels.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:33 PM
TSG-Z

Damn, bro you have a set of 3K+ rims and dont have your stocks anymore? It does suck, but why dont you have another set to roll on? For those that know in your area, know what you got and your issues with them!
Old 04-16-2010, 04:55 PM
TheFarmer

Damn, that flake is huge in the last picture you posted. I see why you're upset, I would be too.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:36 PM
ZeezCustomz

Originally Posted by TheFarmer
Damn, that flake is huge in the last picture you posted. I see why you're upset, I would be too.
I know, it's very upsetting only because they are basically still new. They only have like 300 miles on them now.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:23 PM
markm5

Default 2021 RAYS Paint Still Sucks

I know, it's very upsetting only because they are basically still new. They only have like 300 miles on them now.
Man I’m sorry to see this. I got my TL37 SL Pressed Graphite and the paint quality is ****. There are splatter spots, debris in the actual finish and I have the same issue with the distributor. RAYS said they would replace 1/4 wheels, but the others are bad enough. I do not for the life of me understand how that can be. Such over hyped and over priced **** wheels.

Major debris in the paint. Horrible. Brand new in box.

Fish eye from debris in clear and paint. And chips. Brand new still in box. Never mounted.

Quick Reply: 2 wk old Volk Phantom Series Wheels...Paint Flaking