Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Multiple balancing weights???

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 06:13 AM
peptidbond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple balancing weights???

Good afternoon,

Well, I have a rather wierd question. I have always noticed that my track rims have multiple balancing weights on them in different locations. There is a weight located on the rim just inside the spokes and there are other weights on the inside lip of the rim.

I am used to having the weights only on the rim lip (usually on the outside) and not on the rim just inside the spokes. After thinking about this, I think I have a theory as to why there are two sets. Please let me know if I am right because I think the dealer might have screwed my rims on a tire rotation. The weights on the rim just behind the spokes are to balance the rim itself. The weights on the inner rim lip are to balance the rim with the tire mounted. Is this correct?

The reason that I ask is because my dealer messed up my rims when I had a tire rotation done. The did the rotation to service a TSB and afterwards I noticed some rim scratches that I could live with. However, it was apparent that they had pried off the weights located just behind the spokes. It then looked like the stuck them back down next to where they were originally. Of course they did not bother to remove the original black adhesive tap. So, did they pry up a weight that they should have never touched, or am I just loosing my mind?

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:00 AM
Michael-Dallas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tire guy told me that if you're going to use stick on weights, then the rim may require balancing weights on the inner and outer rim. I've got a pretty good relationship w/ my tire guy... he lets me watch and help him out. The machine they use to balance tires is pretty mindless. It spins the wheel / tire and tops at a where a weight is needed. Then you put the stick-on weight on an arm and rotate the arm out to the rim. The process continues until the computer says the wheel / tire is balanced.

If you use clip on weights, then that eliminates that requirement, however, clip on weights don't look attractive and can damage your rim lip.

Michael.