Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Question/Advice on Wheel Repair/Repainting

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:56 PM
AUtigers350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question/Advice on Wheel Repair/Repainting

I have read many threads on here suggesting best place to get wheels repaired or powdercoated but I guess I kinda want some feedback on what you guys think about this, and where the best place to get this done for the money would be. Somewhere in the Southeast would be preferred, but I'm not against shipping to Cali or elsewhere if the price is right.

I've got some 19" Volk GT-S and want to get them refinished for a few reasons. First, the front passenger wheel has a little curb rash, and there are a few spots on the rears from where tiny rocks have gotten picked up on the interstate or wherever that I would like to get fixed. Second, the faces of the wheels have black spots in them from what I would imagine to be hot brake dust that has cooled down in the paint and fused to it. Third, the anodized finish on the lips is starting to get cloudy and the fronts have some nasty black/almost rust type spots on them.

That being said, I want to get an estimate on having them taken apart and get the barrels refinished in something that is easier to clean/maintain than the anodized finish that came on them. If possible, I'd like to have the barrels done in either a black chrome or a satin black finish similar to the Volk GT-S Phantom Editions. If it's not possible to get it in a black finish that won't be constantly dirty, just a regular chrome or polished finish would be great. Something I could use a mag/chrome polish or a non-neutral pH cleaner on and not worry about messing them up. Then I would want to get the faces painted to color match my car (Silverstone) and clear coated.

If someone could point me in the right direction or give me an idea how much something like this would cost, I would much appreciate it! Sorry for the long post.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:21 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds good. Take the wheels to a shop and get an estimate.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:54 PM
AUtigers350z

Perhaps I should explain the type of response I'm looking for. I realize that obtaining an informative answer on here these days is pretty rare, but I still have faith in those members that are more concerned about posting relevant information than upping their post count.

Looking for an opinion on the following question..
What type of finish would be the best looking/easiest to clean for the barrels? Would prefer something black or darker. Black chrome? Powercoated? Etc. I'm not sure what else is out there. What type of coating does Volk ship out on their Phantom GT-S?

Once I figure out what I want to do, then I will take the wheels to a shop and get an estimate. Not wanting to waste my time taking them to a powdercoating shop when getting them black chromed would be a better option, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by AUtigers350z; 04-18-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I personally will always have a painted wheel because they are easier to keep clean than the polished lips.

It really comes down to personal preference and what type of products you use to wash the wheels (nothing harsh, just soap/water and quick detailer)

In the subject of cost, I paid $400 for all four to be professionally repainted gloss black two years ago and my wheels still look brand new, but I'm super **** with my possessions.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:34 PM
AUtigers350z

I wonder if a satin black would be easier or harder to maintain than a gloss black. A buddy of mine has gloss black lips on his wheels and they are always dirty. Then again, I suppose it's the difference between someone that takes care of/cleans their wheels often and someone that doesn't.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AUtigers350z
I wonder if a satin black would be easier or harder to maintain than a gloss black. A buddy of mine has gloss black lips on his wheels and they are always dirty. Then again, I suppose it's the difference between someone that takes care of/cleans their wheels often and someone that doesn't.
I think satin would be more difficult to clean.

Literally for me it's just wash the Z, drive around for a bit to let the wheels dry off, then quick detailer, then pimp status. LOL
Old 04-18-2010, 11:53 PM
redman333

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exotics-inc.com/

This company repaired my Volk GTS wheels and they did a great job on them. They are in NC. I just took the rims to them and did the mount and dismount of the tires myself, but the price was very good for what they did for me. They repaired one rim that had some curb rash on them also and you can't even tell they were damaged. I talked to a guy named George there. Tell him Jared sent you and he should give you a good price.

I have my lips the satin black and they stayed clean longer than my gloss black spokes on my last set of rims.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:10 AM
AUtigers350z

Originally Posted by redman333
http://www.exotics-inc.com/

This company repaired my Volk GTS wheels and they did a great job on them. They are in NC. I just took the rims to them and did the mount and dismount of the tires myself, but the price was very good for what they did for me. They repaired one rim that had some curb rash on them also and you can't even tell they were damaged. I talked to a guy named George there. Tell him Jared sent you and he should give you a good price.

I have my lips the satin black and they stayed clean longer than my gloss black spokes on my last set of rims.
Thanks very much for the info! This is exactly what I was looking for. I will give him a call ASAP. Checked out some of your pics in your profile and the wheels look great. Thanks again