Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Car Dances

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:33 PM
zlatan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Dances

So I currently am running some MB battles 18x9.5 +15 offset with 25mm rear spacers and 20mm front= -10 and -5 offset. I am lowered on Hotchkis springs and have the rear bump stop removed. The tires are Toyo all season proxies Z rated. 245.40.18 and 235.40.18. The problem I am having is if I flick the wheel left or right, and let go it tries going back to the middle and dances the opposite direction before correcting. Now I understand a staggered setup would lead to more grip in the rear making the tires catch more. However at 80mph for example if you do it the rear dances a few times. It feels scary as it loads the suspension under speed like that. The car used to feel really safe taking trips above 140mph. Now I don't want to go to 100mph. Any suggestions where I start. I've checked rotation, balance, tire pressure, next is alignment, but I ran those spacers and had an alignment done with my old oem wheels and tires.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here are some pics of the car, Droid camera so they aren't the best in the world....

Old 07-09-2010, 06:48 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Sounds like you properly f%cked your suspension up. Good chance it has to do with slamming your car.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:29 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

^^^ exactly. The further you push the tires out away from the hub (via lower offsets, spacers, etc.) the more you change the dynamics of the suspension. Certainly if you are out of alignment, that is going to make it handle squirrley.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:32 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Could also be bad balljoints, worn bushings (LCA is common ) even the sways being set way to stiff can also cause this, and blown shocks.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM
zlatan

I'm pretty sure it's alignment. I checked my front LCA bushings they're a little worn, but nothing major. I'll replace them this weekend. I think I should save up for some coilovers.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:52 AM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coilovers will not solve your alignment problem.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:15 AM
zlatan

Originally Posted by huyrua
Coilovers will not solve your alignment problem.
Thanks, never said they would. I will have blown shocks eventually from the springs. So I figure I can just get some coilovers and have a fully adjustable suspension. Maybe a camber kit and and some sways. I'm going to swap bushings this weekend just in case and get my alignment done.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Lee R

Why do offsets have to be so low these days? 20-25MM spacers....that is a huge chunk of metal to mount in there.

Last edited by Lee R; 07-09-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:29 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Low offsets push the wheels further out to fill the fender gap - it's the desire to be flush. I bet a 25mm spacer has to add a couple of pounds of unsprung weight to each wheel.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Lee R

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Low offsets push the wheels further out to fill the fender gap - it's the desire to be flush. I bet a 25mm spacer has to add a couple of pounds of unsprung weight to each wheel.

hence OP's dancing problem....thanks.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:59 AM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why waste money on wheel spacers, aftermarket wheel, lowering springs and the end results is lost of handling and performance. You should have stay stock and your car will perform and handle better. Again, coilovers will not solve your lost of handling and performance.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would first start with an alignment. Running spacers on stock wheels then adding these wheels with different offsets probably changed something.

You might also want to not go so fast if you're having issues, doesn't sound too safe dude.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:33 PM
VQpoweredZ

Idk why you need that low of offsets in the front when your not even lowered enough to make it look right. I felt a little shaky at high speeds when I put on spacers as well. I didn't like the way it felt, so I bought other rims with the offsets I wanted.

Describing your cars ride as dancing and still going 100+ really doesn't sound safe at all, agreed. Take it to a shop and have them align it correctly. Best of luck
Old 07-09-2010, 11:10 PM
zlatan

Originally Posted by VQpoweredZ
Idk why you need that low of offsets in the front when your not even lowered enough to make it look right. I felt a little shaky at high speeds when I put on spacers as well. I didn't like the way it felt, so I bought other rims with the offsets I wanted.

Describing your cars ride as dancing and still going 100+ really doesn't sound safe at all, agreed. Take it to a shop and have them align it correctly. Best of luck

I never had problems with spacers before, they're hubcentric not really sure what issues you would feel. I bought wheels in my budget. That I'm very happy with. The front will be lower eventually. I need time to save up money unlike the majority of this forum that has mounds of cash to shovel into their cars. I'm 21 a student **** takes time home skillet.

Last edited by zlatan; 07-09-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:11 PM
zlatan

Why waste money on wheel spacers, aftermarket wheel, lowering springs and the end results is lost of handling and performance. You should have stay stock and your car will perform and handle better. Again, coilovers will not solve your lost of handling and performance.
Why reply to a thread that your not answering the question to?
Old 07-10-2010, 12:40 AM
litoflow

ok ok! i have to say something cause this is getting retarded. First off i want to start by saying: You are Wrong! i bet my pink slip i will take you with my z any time. Second: it all comes down to how u modified your z when it comes to handling. the way i see it. Spacers and Springs are a waste of money, been there done that and i will never go back to it. We learn from our own mistakes. Just my $$.02

OP: i got some questions for you boy cause i had the same spacers before and suspension!.only difference i had the sway bars too. Before you where lowered and had spacers on, where you running stretch tires or fat tires before the shaking around started to happen? The only reason why i ask this is because a couple months back i was running same setup as you but with the rear bushings on the springs and same spacers as yours and i had no problems whatsoever. The day i put my WEDS on with stretched tires i would not dare to go over 90mph because it was so shaky in the rear that i just told myself i needed coils asap. Once i got my coils same week i put the WEDS on, i never regret i did. first time in the hight way i was mad rubbing tires but i hit 160mph and i felt like i was doing 30mph with no fear of my z sliding/shaking on me. Remember also that your rear is way lowered than your front and thats why before i mentioned to you, the z looked like a mountain bike. My point is, that is really not your spacers as long as they are torqued correctly, or your alignment unless yours is really bad.

Last edited by litoflow; 07-10-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:41 AM
sdZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee R
Why do offsets have to be so low these days? 20-25MM spacers....that is a huge chunk of metal to mount in there.
Someone clearly did not read the OP's sig!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 06:14 AM
Lee R

Originally Posted by sdZ33
Someone clearly did not read the OP's sig!!!

hmmmm....his sig shows he has super low offsets and I quoted "why does one need to have such low offsets these days". Don't understand what point you are trying to make or why that makes you mad other than me not agreeeing with you "lifestyle" even if you need these huge ugly spacers to achieve.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:55 AM
reverse

i don't think its your spacers either. i'm running 20mm kics & i hit 100mph + just fine. take the spacers off & run it. it might be your tire size. your stretch might be causing the problem. i run a 275/30 on a 9.5 @ +5 & if i understand whats happening then your car is (don't know how to explain it) but your feeling every crack / crevice of the road. i take it this isn't the first car you've ever lower'd right?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:57 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get an alignment first.

Is your rear sitting lower than the front?

Quick Reply: Car Dances