Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

New Rays Logo...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:06 AM
VQpoweredZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rays Logo...

I've been reading that Rays has recently changed his logo. It doesn't look too different in my opinion, but I think it looks pretty nice. Thought you guys would like to know about the wheels we all love to put on our Z/G's. Hopefully it isn't a repost.

It's kind of like the old logo but slanted..

What do you guys think?

Last edited by VQpoweredZ; 07-09-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 AM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you, i needed this on a cloudy day.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:20 PM
VQpoweredZ

Originally Posted by huyrua
Thank you, i needed this on a cloudy day.
I just don't know what to think of that comment
Old 07-09-2010, 01:08 PM
NismoZ_840

Hooray, now the wheel ****** can berate those who have the old logo and everybody else!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:49 PM
aloh

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Old 07-09-2010, 02:53 PM
VQpoweredZ

It's growing on me everytime I check back on the thread. It's the subtle things that count. Now I wonder when they will start to switch things over.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:54 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like they just made it italicized and took out the word engineering. not much difference there.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks nice, better matches the Volk logo.

Where did you find this?
Old 07-09-2010, 03:59 PM
VQpoweredZ

Here, my bad I should have put this in the thread as well.

http://www.rays-msc.com/news/index.cgi?d=178
Old 07-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VQpoweredZ
Here, my bad I should have put this in the thread as well.

http://www.rays-msc.com/news/index.cgi?d=178
Old 07-09-2010, 04:04 PM
IC3D

I dig it.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:25 PM
FilthyZ

The new logo def looks a lot better. It's new, it's more modern and def up to date. The old one just had that outdated look, didn't have that look of speed, style and the sexiness that Rays brings to their wheels. This is def refreshing. I'm a Graphic Designer for a living as well teach Graphics Design at my local University, the designers hit this one on the head. Wonder when they will start releasing the stickers for the new wheels?
Old 07-09-2010, 05:25 PM
VQpoweredZ

I'd love to have some updated decals and license plate frames haha.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:50 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

looks good...
Old 07-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Damn it now I have to cover up my old rays tattoo with a new rays tattoo!FML!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:25 PM
moforeynolds

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FilthyZ
I'm a Graphic Designer for a living as well teach Graphics Design at my local University, the designers hit this one on the head.
Hit it on the head? Why is that? It's not really modern, and I'm not really sure what you are looking at that shows "style an sexiness". I understand the speed part; the slanted type is design cliche, but fine, I get it. The most obvious point to me though, you TEACH graphic design and you don't have a big problem with that "Y"? I'm a graphic designer too, and I would think anyone in the business would spot that from a mile away. Whoever designed this simply took the outgoing logo and slanted it by a few degrees, and didn't even bother to fix the distortion in the "Y"; IMO that's lazy and sloppy. I'm not trying to pick on you, but if you are a designer and teach it at your school, I'd like to know what grade you would give a student if the assignment was to redesign the RAYS logo and that is what you received.

Not that Rays gives a damn about my opinion, but purely from a design perspective, I don't like it as much as the old. The previous logo was rigid and strong, upright and concrete. It stomped it's foot and said "we are the authority".

Besides what I've already said, this new one looks softer and more "accessible". Like something that would be used on an entry-level line, like G-Games.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:21 PM
VQpoweredZ

To be fair, RAYS liked it enough to make it their new logo. It can't be THAT bad. I'm not a graphic designer though, just speaking from common sense.

They're not a low budget company as we all know, I doubt they were being lazy and sloppy when designing this logo.

Looks fine to me, might be missing the point because i'm not in the graphic design field.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:02 PM
FilthyZ

Originally Posted by moforeynolds
Hit it on the head? Why is that? It's not really modern, and I'm not really sure what you are looking at that shows "style an sexiness". I understand the speed part; the slanted type is design cliche, but fine, I get it. The most obvious point to me though, you TEACH graphic design and you don't have a big problem with that "Y"? I'm a graphic designer too, and I would think anyone in the business would spot that from a mile away. Whoever designed this simply took the outgoing logo and slanted it by a few degrees, and didn't even bother to fix the distortion in the "Y"; IMO that's lazy and sloppy. I'm not trying to pick on you, but if you are a designer and teach it at your school, I'd like to know what grade you would give a student if the assignment was to redesign the RAYS logo and that is what you received.

Not that Rays gives a damn about my opinion, but purely from a design perspective, I don't like it as much as the old. The previous logo was rigid and strong, upright and concrete. It stomped it's foot and said "we are the authority".

Besides what I've already said, this new one looks softer and more "accessible". Like something that would be used on an entry-level line, like G-Games.
I wasn't out to critique Rays company logo. I was just stating that the overall logo in my eyes says a bit more about the company. The sharper lines of the R and the S balance out the look of the logo. The old one felt "Chunky" but did feel strong. I like the old logo, don't get me wrong, but I feel this one suits the company better. The use of "italicizing" the letters or "slanted" as you say, gives the sense of speed, cliche or not.

Yes the Y needs to be tweaked so the stroke is not distorted, but will they? I'm sure they won't. Mainly because this is because they took the old logo for reference and adjusted and made changes to it instead of hand drawing a new logo to make sure the stroke thickness was proportional throughout each letter. That's where real typeface creators will throw up a flag. But I wasn't out to give a letter grade to Rays Engineering about their logo. 95% of the people won't notice distortion and thickness difference between the left and right stroke of the Y. That's why I wasn't out to harp on it. I do notice it, trust me. But I also notice other parts that also need to be corrected before I would let this be put into production as the logo and sticker of my company.

But if a student would come to me with this logo, I would feel it's a very strong starting point and could slowly be tweaked and adjusted so that it could be a finished piece. Just because you are a graphic designer, does not mean what you feel is right "is right". The old logo is dated and too heavy. This new logo appears to shed a few pounds (just like Rays have done to the wheel game), and the sharpness of the letters create a cleaner feeling logo that involves speed. The new S has a road course feel to it in my eyes now. And the sexiness comes from my mind when I visualize this logo on the wheel, or even on the windshield or hood of an import car. It just suites the industry better. If you don't like my opinion I understand, I can't please everyone.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:05 AM
moforeynolds

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VQpoweredZ
To be fair, RAYS liked it enough to make it their new logo. It can't be THAT bad. I'm not a graphic designer though, just speaking from common sense.

They're not a low budget company as we all know, I doubt they were being lazy and sloppy when designing this logo.
I wouldn't say that the antithesis to graphic design is common sense, but yes, I'm purely speaking from an industry nerd point of view. Designers sometimes over-analyze these sorts of things, just like an audiophile would complain about the recording quality of a CD they just purchased.

As for not being lazy when designing the logo, keep in mind that I am referring to whoever they had design it, not RAYS themselves. But for argument's sake, you would be very surprised at what a lot of big-budget companies will approve Hell, just look around. Budget has nothing to do with good design. Designs happen, designers debate about them, and nobody else in the world gives a damn.

Originally Posted by FilthyZ
95% of the people won't notice distortion and thickness difference between the left and right stroke of the Y. That's why I wasn't out to harp on it. I do notice it, trust me. But I also notice other parts that also need to be corrected before I would let this be put into production as the logo and sticker of my company.
Fair enough, and of course nobody else will notice that but designers. I would not have said anything at all in this thread until I read that a designer thought that this was a fantastic logo. As a design teacher, you were scaring me for a second there But I appreciate your details and thanks for expanding a bit, even if I agree with only some of it.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:07 AM
VQpoweredZ

Haha I guess I get what you guys are saying after I stared at it for a while. But yea 95% of people won't even notice it. And the other 5% are people who are graphic designers haha.

Quick Reply: New Rays Logo...