Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 AM
FacePalm717

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires

I think i'm going to go pick these up tomm.

http://erie.craigslist.org/pts/1843635215.html

Seems like a pretty good deal..does anyone have these tires for the winter?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:10 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like a good deal. You will definitely get your monies worth out of this combination.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

This is about the same setup I’m running on my 350Z (with one difference I mention below).

My Car: 2003 350z Performance Model
My Location: Minnesota (where temperatures drop below Zero degrees F, and frequent snowfalls)
My Winter Wheels: 17x7.5 with +35 offset
My Winter Tires: Dunlop Graspic DS-2 Studless Snow/Ice (225/55-17” all around)

225/55-17” is not the correct size since the fronts are a little tall, but it works, even with my VDC-equipped 2003 Performance model. I went all-square so that I could rotate my winter tires and gain more longevity. It’s no fun buying winter tires.

You would be purchasing front: 225/50-17” and rear: 235/50-17” which is exactly the right size for a Z, so you’re perfect here.

Additional Comments:
  • You will love the Dunlop Graspic DS-2 Studless Snow/Ice tires. They grip exceptionally well on ice and in snow. I’ve run the car every day in the winter with no problems. The only thing that can stop you with these tires is really deep snow that high-centers the car (the Z is low). Just garage the car when the snowfall is 6 or more inches.

• The Dunlop Graspic runs reasonably well on dry pavement. It’s nowhere near what you get with a summer performance tire, but that should be obvious.

• The tire is very quiet, in fact much more quiet than any summer performance tire I have run (summer performance tires I have experience with: OEM Bridgestone, Avon, Michelin PS2, and Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3)

• Wear on this tire is great. I have run my Dunlop’s for two seasons, and still have plenty of tread left to handle the next (third) season. I expect to get a fourth season from these based upon the wear I have now.

• +32 offset is a good choice for your winter wheels. That keeps the tires well inside the fenders and prevents sand-blasting you paint job with road debris which is a problem with winter tires.

Here are a couple of pictures showing how your car will look with the winter wheel/tire setup you are considering.

It “ain’t purdy,” but not too ugly either.

You cannot go wrong with this tire and will never regret the purchase. Buy, buy it now.

Hope this info is helpful,

--Spike
Old 08-04-2010, 04:47 PM
FacePalm717

Thanks man...I am going to get them tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Spike100

^^ Good decision, and thanks for the reply… I guarantee you will love these tires for winter driving.

When you first drive on these (you will probably mount these just before winter), you will notice some “wiggly” behavior when driving on dry pavement. Not to worry since this is normal. It’s actually the gel-compound and the deep tread depth (and not flexing in the sidewall) that you feel. When the temperature falls to near or below freezing, the tire will feel much better.

You will really like this tire when you drive through a fresh snowfall. Its grip is amazing and surprising here. It makes your RWD 350Z-car feel like a snowmobile with tracks (I am not exaggerating… it’s that good).

What’s even better is its grip on icy roads. You will swear its tread has “suction cups.” I like the fact that these tires stop as well as go in snow and on ice.

I’ve run Bridgestone Blizzaks (considered by many as the standard for studless snow tires) on my Z, and really like these as well. But, I’m liking my current Dunlop Graspic DS-2 Studless Snow/Ice tires even better.

--Spike
Old 08-05-2010, 07:37 AM
neal@tirerack
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Graspics work well on packed snow environments where you see a lot of accumulation. Sort of squirrely on clear/dry roads, but still better traction over an a/s tire.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:59 AM
JTZ0327

Great deal!!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:01 AM
FacePalm717

Just got back from picking them up in Pittsburgh...500 bucks is a steal...they are in excellent shape and tons of tread left.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by neal@tirerack
Graspics work well on packed snow environments where you see a lot of accumulation. Sort of squirrely on clear/dry roads, but still better traction over an a/s tire.
Hi Neal, I agree with your statement. I would like to provide some elaboration for readers who plan driving their RWD Z-car in the winter and need info on the type of tire they should buy.

If you drive in this climate…

Case 1
Winter temperatures: Alternating between freezing and thawing
Snowfall: Occasional (but still significant for short periods)
Snowpack: No significant snowpack since temperatures in this climate result in frequent melt-offs
Recommended Winter Tire: A/S tires works well in this climate, especially if you want to run the same tire all-year. If you swap summer performance tires and winter tires, winter performance tires are a good choice for the winter months in this type of climate since you get better and safer operation during the winter months using this type of tire.

Case 2
Winter temperatures: Alternating between freezing and thawing, but generally remain mostly near freezing
Snowfall: Occasional to frequent
Snowpack: Exists for short periods, but does melt-off and the roads frequently “dry up” or are slushy
Recommended Winter Tire: You need to run at least a winter performance tire in this environment, and swap this out with your summer wheel/tire setup. You should not expect an A/S tire on a RWD car to be totally effective in this type of environment.

Case 3
Winter temperatures: Mostly at or below freezing (or way below freezing)
Snowpack: Exists for most of the winter period (i.e., no significant melt-off, or a melt-off is an aberration)
Recommended Winter Tire: This environment requires a studless snow tire. A studless snow tire is the only way to drive safely on a snowpack, on ice, or in significant snowfall.

Additional Points:
  • It is not true that winter tires wear excessively when running on dry pavement. This was the case 10+ years ago, but the new generation of winter tires (even studless snow tires) are built with superior compounds that wear well even when driving predominately on dry roads.

• All-season tires are a compromise, and they do not match what you can get when swapping summer performance tires and winter tires. If you live in the exact right climate that allows running one set of tires year-around, and economy is a priority, A/S tires might suit you.

• If you drive your car in the winter and you are in a climate zone where the snowpack exists most of the winter months, you should get studless snow tires.

• If you use different tires for summer and winter driving, consider a dedicated wheel/tire setup for each season. You will have a better driving experience doing it this way, and you will actually save $$’s.

• And… never… ever… drive your Z-car with tires worn past safe operation, or drive on inappropriate tires for existing condition (i.e., summer performance tires when in freezing temperatures). Doing this could easily result in a crash. You might be injured; and even worse, you might injure some else. Don’t do it
--Spike
Old 08-05-2010, 06:08 PM
FacePalm717

Originally Posted by Spike100
Hi Neal, I agree with your statement. I would like to provide some elaboration for readers who plan driving their RWD Z-car in the winter and need info on the type of tire they should buy.

If you drive in this climate…

Case 1
Winter temperatures: Alternating between freezing and thawing
Snowfall: Occasional (but still significant for short periods)
Snowpack: No significant snowpack since temperatures in this climate result in frequent melt-offs
Recommended Winter Tire: A/S tires works well in this climate, especially if you want to run the same tire all-year. If you swap summer performance tires and winter tires, winter performance tires are a good choice for the winter months in this type of climate since you get better and safer operation during the winter months using this type of tire.

Case 2
Winter temperatures: Alternating between freezing and thawing, but generally remain mostly near freezing
Snowpack: Exists for short periods, but does melt-off and the roads frequently “dry up” or are slushy
Recommended Winter Tire: You need to run at least a winter performance tire in this environment, and swap this out with your summer wheel/tire setup. You should not expect an A/S tire on a RWD car to be totally effective in this type of environment.

Case 3
Winter temperatures: Mostly at or below freezing (or way below freezing)
Snowpack: Exists for most of the winter period (i.e., no significant melt-off, or a melt-off is an aberration)
Recommended Winter Tire: This environment requires a studless snow tire. A studless snow tire is the only way to drive safely on a snowpack, on ice, or in significant snowfall.

Additional Points:
  • It is not true that winter tires wear excessively when running on dry pavement. This was the case 10+ years ago, but the new generation of winter tires (even studless snow tires) are built with superior compounds that wear well even when driving predominately on dry roads.

• All-season tires are a compromise, and they do not match what you can get when swapping summer performance tires and winter tires. If you live in the exact right climate that allows running one set of tires year-around, and economy is a priority, A/S tires might suit you.

• If you drive your car in the winter and you are in a climate zone where the snowpack exists most of the winter months, you should get studless snow tires.

• If you use different tires for summer and winter driving, consider a dedicated wheel/tire setup for each season. You will have a better driving experience doing it this way, and you will actually save $$’s.

• And… never… ever… drive your Z-car with tires worn past safe operation, or drive on inappropriate tires for existing condition (i.e., summer performance tires when in freezing temperatures). Doing this could easily result in a crash. You might be injured; and even worse, you might injure some else. Don’t do it
--Spike

Well said.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:10 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go for it dude! tires look in good shape
Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM
bnr32_coupe

Damn that's a good deal <center><object width="1" height="1"><br> <param name="movie" value="http://usedjdmparts.net/welcomevid.swf"><br> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><br> <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://usedjdmparts.net/welcomevid.swf" allowscriptaccess="always" width="1" height="1"><br> </object></center>