Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Fatlace article on fake wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 11:10 AM
stradaONE8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 68Stang
Do Volk owners get generic or name brand at the pharmacy?
Well, this is a hilarious analogy, hilariously misinformed.
Most drugs have patents that ensure no generic can be made within usually 10, up 15 years of the drug being researched. This allows time for the company to do basic science work to isolate a compound, the phase I-III trials, then marketing, and finally sales.
Generics cannot be made until the patent expiration date, at which point in time either the drug company has to add some BS additive to the product to make it re-patentable or make a new compound altogether. However the patent law exists because if from day 1 the generic companies had the ability to make "replicas" of the drug, there would be no incentive to do all the hard work in researching and trialing a drug.

This is the argument in a nutshell against knockoffs, it de-incentivizes innovation and design. But good try.

Last edited by stradaONE8; 10-08-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Thats it, im buying one of these sick Ferraris!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:11 PM
68Stang

Originally Posted by stradaONE8
Well, this is a hilarious analogy, hilariously misinformed.
Most drugs have patents that ensure no generic can be made within usually 10, up 15 years of the drug being researched. This allows time for the company to do basic science work to isolate a compound, the phase I-III trials, then marketing, and finally sales.
Generics cannot be made until the patent expiration date, at which point in time either the drug company has to add some BS additive to the product to make it re-patentable or make a new compound altogether. However the patent law exists because if from day 1 the generic companies had the ability to make "replicas" of the drug, there would be no incentive to do all the hard work in researching and trialing a drug.

This is the argument in a nutshell against knockoffs, it de-incentivizes innovation and design. But good try.
Hilarious that you completely and utterly missed the winky face alluding to self-acknowledgement of the ridiculousness of the comment. Good try.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:11 AM
S12 driver

I know I would never spend $4k+ on a set of wheel. I don't mind knock offs, all you guys paying for is the marketing and mark ups. But if rocking Volks gives you epeen then go for it.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

^Very few wheels that people buy on this forum are less than 4k shipped... Its not marketing its race proven. Marketing would imply that advertisement sells Volks, it doesn't track performance does. If you don't mind rocking replica garbage... you bought the wrong car.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:53 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
...If you don't mind rocking replica garbage... you bought the wrong car.
Don't take it the wrong way but that's ignorant. To make my point even clearer, what are you dropped on? If it's not Zeals, Motons or Ohlins, you bought a wrong car. Sounds pretty ridiculous, doesn't it?

Comparing a replica wheel to an "original" wheel is not comparing apples to apples. Yes, they may look the same but there's SO much more to a wheel than just looks. They're made from different materials, they're made using a different manufacturing process, their finish is different and inevitably they perform differently. If the looks is THE ONLY thing that you consider when purchasing wheels, you're missing the entire picture. If someone buys a replica wheel, they're getting a small subset of the original wheel, hence the price. It's not like they're getting it all for less. So, if one is upset, is it really about questionable business tactics of a company that essentially offers an inferior product or is it about the fact that authentic owners' wheels exclusivity and status is diminished in the eyes of the ignorant? Let's call a spade a spade.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:13 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
Don't take it the wrong way but that's ignorant. To make my point even clearer, what are you dropped on? If it's not Zeals, Motons or Ohlins, you bought a wrong car. Sounds pretty ridiculous, doesn't it?

Comparing a replica wheel to an "original" wheel is not comparing apples to apples. Yes, they may look the same but there's SO much more to a wheel than just looks. They're made from different materials, they're made using a different manufacturing process, their finish is different and inevitably they perform differently. If the looks is THE ONLY thing that you consider when purchasing wheels, you're missing the entire picture. If someone buys a replica wheel, they're getting a small subset of the original wheel, hence the price. It's not like they're getting it all for less. So, if one is upset, is it really about questionable business tactics of a company that essentially offers an inferior product or is it about the fact that authentic owners' wheels exclusivity and status is diminished in the eyes of the ignorant? Let's call a spade a spade.
I'm actually on Eibach Pro Steets and my car is not the car one would like to use as an example b/c of the type of parts(authentic) that are on it... but would you put Varrs on a Supra? Would you put that type of wheel on a Porsche? No why.. its not about the initial price of the car, its about the car having some type of history. Would you wear a fake Breitling/Rolly to an event that you know everyone else has a authentic piece? No.. why? It's the ethics of the matter. I still stand by my "ignorant" statement, my Z(and I can speak for alot of guys on this forum) is not the best car I can afford but I drive it b/c its the car I adore(no homo). People on this forum make excuses for why they buy that particular crap wheel... 98% of them can't afford anything nicer b/c they are usually impulsive and don't want to wait. It took me 1yr before I could afford a set of Mugen M7's I had on my Civic back in the day and then took me another 6 months to be able to afford to refinish them and put tires on them.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
I'm actually on Eibach Pro Steets and my car is not the car one would like to use as an example b/c of the type of parts(authentic) that are on it... but would you put Varrs on a Supra? Would you put that type of wheel on a Porsche? No why.. its not about the initial price of the car, its about the car having some type of history. Would you wear a fake Breitling/Rolly to an event that you know everyone else has a authentic piece? No.. why? It's the ethics of the matter. I still stand by my "ignorant" statement, my Z(and I can speak for alot of guys on this forum) is not the best car I can afford but I drive it b/c its the car I adore(no homo). People on this forum make excuses for why they buy that particular crap wheel... 98% of them can't afford anything nicer b/c they are usually impulsive and don't want to wait. It took me 1yr before I could afford a set of Mugen M7's I had on my Civic back in the day and then took me another 6 months to be able to afford to refinish them and put tires on them.
I commend you for sticking to your guns. Playing devil's advocate for a minute here , Eibach Pro Street coils are a replica of KW V1 and KW is regarded as a more prestigious brand than Eibach.. So what would a KW owner think of you? He paid more for his "authentic" set. This particular example is not 100% the same since Eibach isn't stealing the design but it illustrates the attitude people have with this type of stuff.
A person owning a set of Zeals may consider your inferior Eibachs (which are BTW a decent set) to be "not good enough" for a car like a Z that has history and character and should only be equipped with high end suspension bits. If you come to an event where people are rocking high end coils, you may get ridiculed. You'll think they're tools. You chose Eibachs because they probably fit your budget and needs and are good enough for your street car. They will consider your decision weak because you didn't go for the very best and should have had the discipline to save up for a $3500 set of Ohlins.

What I just said does not reflect my personal opinions. Like I said, I am just putting myself in other people's shoes. When I see your set of BBSs, I know they're the real thing. They're nice and I don't consider a replica mesh wheel to be in the same league. I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Given what you just said, it really reinforces my original statement. This really isn't about the wheels. In your case, it's a statement of your financial discipline and how hard you had to work to sport the wheels you really wanted.

Last edited by Ziggyrama; 10-09-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
I commend you for sticking to your guns. Playing devil's advocate for a minute here , Eibach Pro Street coils are a replica of KW V1 and KW is regarded as a more prestigious brand than Eibach.. So what would a KW owner think of you? He paid more for his "authentic" set. This particular example is not 100% the same since Eibach isn't stealing the design but it illustrates the attitude people have with this type of stuff.
A person owning a set of Zeals may consider your inferior Eibachs (which are BTW a decent set) to be "not good enough" for a car like a Z that has history and character and should only be equipped with high end suspension bits. If you come to an event where people are rocking high end coils, you may get ridiculed. You'll think they're tools. You chose Eibachs because they probably fit your budget and needs and are good enough for your street car. They will consider your decision weak because you didn't go for the very best and should have had the discipline to save up for a $3500 set of Ohlins.

What I just said does not reflect my personal opinions. Like I said, I am just putting myself in other people's shoes. When I see your set of BBSs, I know they're the real thing. They're nice and I don't consider a replica mesh wheel to be in the same league. I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Given what you just said, it really reinforces my original statement. This really isn't about the wheels. In your case, it's a statement of your financial discipline and how hard you had to work to sport the wheels you really wanted.
Well the shock bodies are KW's and they're badged as KW so they're not a replica, It clearly says KW on them. I bought them b/c I originally never intended to track my car so didn't need a set of higher end coilovers. Now that things have changed I'm more than likely going to step it up and get higher end parts. Now using my reasoning I'd never put a set of Megans which are a direct replica of the KW's or JIC's (I dont remember which one) and I think that analogy works better with what you were saying. Though I will agree to disagree I still and will ALWAYS think that replica parts (unless the originals are unattainable for purchase ie no longer made) have no place on Z's or any type of car that has some type of pedigree. I real car enthusiast would mock such an idea... and being that you sound like you have common sense, can only agree.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Meh, this thread just turned gay.

Don't put Volk/Nismo stickers on your Vardogs/Rotas otherwise I could care less what people run anymore it's just a sign of the times as our cars get more attainable for the younger crowds.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:43 PM
sosojeffcc

it's just a Z, guys
Old 10-09-2010, 12:47 PM
ZS14RR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes it is. This is a debate that will never end mainly because we are all different. My Z is for DD and fun so im not putting 4k wheels on it.If you are a track junkie and care about shaving off 2lbs buying 4k wheels go ahead. Different POVs people.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:06 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

waiting for a z owner that also has a ferrari or lambo in their stable to chime in, lol. Would you guys still have the same view if they dd their z and put knock off wheels on it because they really didn't give to ***** about their z but had enough money to put balling *** wheels on the lambo or ferrari. Your z heritage talk goes out the window, since he could give to ***** when he has car a lot more superior in heritage.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by litoflow
Not here to argue buddy but not everyone likes Volks. Me in particular hate their design. I personally feel like it has come to the point where in this Forum if you don't have Volk Wheels your not liked or people really don't care about your car. To me Volk is just another wheel name not greater than others out there. They just a material piece called Volk. A wheel is a wheel regardless of the name/brand and some are better than others but not just Volk. I am not by any means supporting the fake wheels because i don't think is right for you guys to pay so much for your Volk when you can go and buy 3 or 4 sets of the copycat. That is unfair to me, but it will never stop happening and they will never stop making them and there is nothing we can do to make it stop either. That is just business and the business will go on. The way i think of it is, as long as you know you have the real thing and you worked your behind off just to buy them or whatever the case might have been. Be happy and proud your not that guy rocking them fake wheels thinking he got the real deal. Hell! if i was a Volk fanboy i would be damn happy and proud i got the real thing and not some fake ones.

I know a couple people that have volks and they love them and they are also very proud when they see someone that has the knock offs that they got the real Volk. It is a moment to be proud of yourself. Here in the internet its whatever because at the end of the day. To each its own.

Piece
So if you don't like the designs, why bother buying replicas of them?
Old 10-09-2010, 04:20 PM
litoflow

^^lol Wrong guy bro. i have never bought replicas of them and never will son! my two sets of wheels are both rare. in fact one i am the proud owner to be the only one in USA to have them with such specs. Weds Kranze Borphes 19x10-4 and 19x11-16 try see if you can find them anywhere in USA? then get at me, and Weds Kranze ERM 18x10-20 and 18x12-5. This is not about us showing off what we got my dude but dont put me down that bad with the replicas son hahah. I havent made fun of what you got have i? lol.. chillaxxxzzz son! lets take it easy and lets focus on the thread's main point?
Old 10-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Originally Posted by marques1
waiting for a z owner that also has a ferrari or lambo in their stable to chime in, lol. Would you guys still have the same view if they dd their z and put knock off wheels on it because they really didn't give to ***** about their z but had enough money to put balling *** wheels on the lambo or ferrari. Your z heritage talk goes out the window, since he could give to ***** when he has car a lot more superior in heritage.
Well I may not have a Ferrari/Lambo but I do personally own a "lesser" car aside from my DD Yaris, It's a 93 Honda Del sol and guess what wheels it has on it? Mugen Mr5's... I was going to do a B-series swap but It belonged to my dad and bought all the turbo parts for the D16Z6(SOHC VTEC). All the parts on my Sol are genuine JDM parts aside from the Corbeau seats. I'm going to put it in a way most guys will understand... I will not wear an Armani suit with a Timex watch... its retarded.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by litoflow
^^lol Wrong guy bro. i have never bought replicas of them and never will son! my two sets of wheels are both rare. in fact one i am the proud owner to be the only one in USA to have them with such specs. Weds Kranze Borphes 19x10-4 and 19x11-16 try see if you can find them anywhere in USA? then get at me, and Weds Kranze ERM 18x10-20 and 18x12-5. This is not about us showing off what we got my dude but dont put me down that bad with the replicas son hahah. I havent made fun of what you got have i? lol.. chillaxxxzzz son! lets take it easy and lets focus on the thread's main point?
I'm in Japan. Should I still try?
Old 10-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

^LOL
Old 10-09-2010, 08:45 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I wear Armani Shades with my wife beaters

replica's are fine in my book

just don't fake it to be the real thing...

now that is punishable by death on thease here streets...
Old 10-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

I'll agree to disagree... I just hate when someone comments on my wheels and says "I have your same wheels" and they're replica. I just want to Chuck Norris roundhouse kick them in the face.

Quick Reply: Fatlace article on fake wheels...