Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

All Season vs Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:24 AM
onoratodm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Season vs Snow Tires

I have an 03 Touring Z and I just moved up to MA from FL. I have some experience driving in the snow from going on various ski trips. I have been reading up on what kind of tires I should get for the winters up here and I cant determine if I need all season or snow tires. My commute is about 20 miles a day m-f to work on mostly the highway. I hear they do a pretty decent job plowing the highways, and my roommate has an FWD car that I could use if we get a bad snow storm.

So from your experiences, should I get all season tires or snow tires? IF snow tires, can I get away with only putting them on the rear tires? I'm not trying to spend an arm and a leg on winter tires if I dont need to. Also if you have any tire suggestions I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Corbic

All Seasons suck in all Seasons. Snows are mandatory for comfortable winter traction. Rock Summer/Performance in the dry months.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:04 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Baltimore does a good job of keeping highways clear of snow. But I can NOT get 2 blocks to the highway. So pristine highways do nothing for me.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I strongly recommend studless snow tires for the climate in your new home. And, you should mount these on all four wheels since you need to “stop” as well as “go.” Mounting studless snow tires on the rear only is dangerous since it results in unpredictable handling. It’s a significant challenge driving in snow and on ice.Driving on the correct tire makes this easier and safer.

Here is a thread discussing snow tires vs. all season tires:

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...ntact-dws.html

You can get an economical setup buying 17” wheels on which you mount 225/55-17” or 235/50-17” studless snow tires. A dedicated winter wheel/tire setup saves the cost of unmounting and remounting tires on the same rims and actually saves $$'s.

--Spike
Old 11-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by davidv

Baltimore does a good job of keeping highways clear of snow. But I can NOT get 2 blocks to the highway. So pristine highways do nothing for me.
It's now wonder that: "But I can NOT get 2 blocks to the highway."

The track running down your alley appears to be from a snowmobile!

--Spike
Old 11-20-2010, 04:37 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by Spike100
It's now wonder that: "But I can NOT get 2 blocks to the highway."

The track running down your alley appears to be from a snowmobile!

--Spike
The area in front of the car is not an alley. It is the street.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:06 PM
norapat01

Continental got some really good all-season tires. Although, you could run winter tires all year long too.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:28 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,296 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Cheap 17's , OEM wheels can be had for under $200
Old 11-20-2010, 08:31 PM
zaperroni

I have the continental All seasons, and I love them. Used them through a winter already with minimal issues.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:33 PM
davidv

Always happy to help. If you have other questions please do not hesitate to waste my time.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:30 PM
350Z_Al

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Snow Tires >>>>> All Seasons!

I ran Toyo Garix GX snow tires for the one season I drove my Z. I plowed snow with the front bumper MANY times and didn't get stuck. The Z is great in the winter with the right tires..

I've got a Corolla I'm driving now with winter tires on it, and honestly the Z was MUCH MUCH better in the snow!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:32 AM
stradaONE8

I cannot say enough about snow tires, I am a full convert. I drive my G coupe year round (well this year will be the last as I have further plans for it). Anyways, I have Blizzak LM22s (performance winter tire), that I've been runnin for this being the third winter on the same set.

They are a fine tire for a midwest winter that gets at most 3-4 major storms a year and the rest is just slush and mostly plowed roads. They get good grip in most conditions, only decent in the heavy stuff, not amazing though. The back end still is easy to break loose with throttle in bad conditions, but the safety factor lies in the predictability of the handling and how the rear tucks right back into line with proper inputs.

But if you live somewhere with really bad winters I suggest true studless ice/snow tires at the least. I actually just drove my mom's 03 G sedan that I just put brand spanking new Continental Extreme Wintercontacts from Philly PA to Columbus OH last night in pretty blizzard like conditions up in the mountains. I can safely say that the Michelin Pilot AllSeaon tire they replaced before I left would NOT have made it (granted they were worn down), but I would have had to inch along for god knows how long. That being said, they BLOW my Blizzaks away, then again they are studless ice/snow tires and not performance ones like my LM22s. But they were exceptional. I did not slip ONCE through the 8 hour drive and 4 of them were in near white out conditions with accumulation on the ground. Gave me very assured footing, great response in turning and braking, and wonderful predictability in the worst stuff.

My opinion is this...if you get any decent snowfalls in your area, I would invest in a set of winter wheels/tires. All seasons just do not hold a candle to a dedicated setup and I have now driven every type of tyre in winter ranging from summer tires to studded ones.

If you live in the midwest or anywhere with relatively mild-moderate winters a performance winter tire Bridgestone (LM22, 25, or 60), Michelin (Aplin PA2, PA3), Dunlop (SP WinterSport) or other comparable performance winter is a good buy.
If you live in an area like Cleveland OH, or up north/east with major snow storms and freeze overs all through winter, I suggest true studless ice/snow tires like Continental ExtremeWinter Contacts, Bridgestone WS70, Michelin X-ice and etc.

If you are in the market, as a person who just drove on some new Conti Extreme Winter tires, I highly suggest these. Excellent reviews on tirerack from both customers and their tests.

my .02

Last edited by stradaONE8; 12-14-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:24 AM
isktarum

I would NEVER only get snow tires just for the rear and not the fronts. If you're looking to drive your car in snow, getting traction to move is not your only concern. Its also stopping, and turning.

Never skimp on safety.

Just my $0.02.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by stradaONE8
I cannot say enough about snow tires, I am a full convert. I drive my G coupe year round (well this year will be the last as I have further plans for it). Anyways, I have Blizzak LM22s (performance winter tire), that I've been runnin for this being the third winter on the same set.

They are a fine tire for a midwest winter that gets at most 3-4 major storms a year and the rest is just slush and mostly plowed roads. They get good grip in most conditions, only decent in the heavy stuff, not amazing though. The back end still is easy to break loose with throttle in bad conditions, but the safety factor lies in the predictability of the handling and how the rear tucks right back into line with proper inputs.

But if you live somewhere with really bad winters I suggest true studless ice/snow tires at the least. I actually just drove my mom's 03 G sedan that I just put brand spanking new Continental Extreme Wintercontacts from Philly PA to Columbus OH last night in pretty blizzard like conditions up in the mountains. I can safely say that the Michelin Pilot AllSeaon tire they replaced before I left would NOT have made it (granted they were worn down), but I would have had to inch along for god knows how long. That being said, they BLOW my Blizzaks away, then again they are studless ice/snow tires and not performance ones like my LM22s. But they were exceptional. I did not slip ONCE through the 8 hour drive and 4 of them were in near white out conditions with accumulation on the ground. Gave me very assured footing, great response in turning and braking, and wonderful predictability in the worst stuff.

My opinion is this...if you get any decent snowfalls in your area, I would invest in a set of winter wheels/tires. All seasons just do not hold a candle to a dedicated setup and I have now driven every type of tyre in winter ranging from summer tires to studded ones.

If you live in the midwest or anywhere with relatively mild-moderate winters a performance winter tire Bridgestone (LM22, 25, or 60), Michelin (Aplin PA2, PA3), Dunlop (SP WinterSport) or other comparable performance winter is a good buy.
If you live in an area like Cleveland OH, or up north/east with major snow storms and freeze overs all through winter, I suggest true studless ice/snow tires like Continental ExtremeWinter Contacts, Bridgestone WS70, Michelin X-ice and etc.

If you are in the market, as a person who just drove on some new Conti Extreme Winter tires, I highly suggest these. Excellent reviews on tirerack from both customers and their tests.

my .02
...Very well stated, and totally accurate. You provide the correct advice.

--Spike