Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

WedsSports Testing: Real vs Replica

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:25 PM
dvo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been a strong believer in buying the authentic wheels/parts but yet people keep buying the knock offs. It's a battle that is being lost. It's sad when someone has authentic wheels and someone goes up and asks the person if they're "varrs" or "rotas"

Even "high quality" OEM wheels can break under the right circumstances.

Last edited by dvo; 03-17-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:03 PM
dan avoN7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvo
It's sad when someone has authentic wheels and someone goes up and asks the person if they're "varrs" or "rotas"
And the response will be.. No, these are authentic <insert brand> wheels. Discussion is over and all parties are happy Was it really that big a deal?

Originally Posted by dvo
Even "high quality" OEM wheels can break under the right circumstances.
That's a good point.. All wheels regardless of their quality are considered wear items and can break. When someone posts pictures of broken wheels they should at least have the decency to explain what happened to the wheel (accident, pothole, curb, etc..) For example.. the first image which is of a broken Rota Wheel. The owner of that Subaru STi swerved to avoid a deer while on an interstate. His car was traveling at 60mph+ and he went off the road in to a ditch flipping the car several times. Is that explained in the picture? Nope! Instead someone with an agenda takes a cheap stab at a "replica" wheel company insinuating they have poor quality control (which is far from the truth).

I've seen tons of cracked wheels (brands well respected on this forum) in my years of modding cars and attending various track events.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:20 AM
stradaONE8

Originally Posted by dan avoN7
And the response will be.. No, these are authentic wheels. Discussion is over and all parties are happy Was it really that big a deal?
No, as a former peddler of knock-offs, you surely have no issue with this at all. More easy profit from the work and innovation of others. In any realm of academia, such blatant plagiarism leads to you being taken out back and beaten (read as: ridiculed into oblivion).

But you fail to see the pervasive issue at hand where shitty ethics has lead to a culture where people now assume things that look like zebras aren't zebras but horses with stripes. Taken one step further it's like going up to a Ferrari owner and asking him how his Pontiac Fiero with a bodykit is doing. It's funny now, sad when it's the rule not the exception.

Originally Posted by dan avoN7
That's a good point.. All wheels regardless of their quality are considered wear items and can break. When someone posts pictures of broken wheels they should at least have the decency to explain what happened to the wheel (accident, pothole, curb, etc..) For example.. the first image which is of a broken Rota Wheel. The owner of that Subaru STi swerved to avoid a deer while on an interstate. His car was traveling at 60mph+ and he went off the road in to a ditch flipping the car several times. Is that explained in the picture? Nope! Instead someone with an agenda takes a cheap stab at a "replica" wheel company insinuating they have poor quality control (which is far from the truth).

I've seen tons of cracked wheels (brands well respected on this forum) in my years of modding cars and attending various track events.
Can you find me a few pictures of one piece forged wheels (Volks or otherwise) where the spokes have completely become disconnected from the hub or outer barrel? I can find pictures of bent wheels of every type, but nothing as catastrophic as all the spokes being fully disconnected from the rest of the wheel.

I await your album.

Last edited by stradaONE8; 03-19-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

not this sh$@ again, I love my reps and I love the fact that if I mess one up on Jersey roads (and they are really bad this year) its not going to cost me a grand to replace ONE. I also love the fact that I can buy a second set dedicated just for the track and still be under the cost of ONE set of volks. If you guys wanna get but hurt about people rocking wheels that look like your oh-so-amazing-jdm-cool-yo-these-are-the-best-things-since-sliced-bread rims, go for it and feel free to come up with any creative way you want to justify spending 3, 4, or 5k on rims. Don't get me wrong, I know my reps aren't as strong as forged wheel, does it bother me? nope, my reps suffice, I have plenty of rubber to protect them from potholes (no stretched look for me), and if I hit a curb that hard the last thing I'll be worried about is if my rim is alright...I'll just buy a new one for like nothing.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Row2K
not this sh$@ again, I love my reps and I love the fact that if I mess one up on Jersey roads (and they are really bad this year) its not going to cost me a grand to replace ONE. I also love the fact that I can buy a second set dedicated just for the track and still be under the cost of ONE set of volks. If you guys wanna get but hurt about people rocking wheels that look like your oh-so-amazing-jdm-cool-yo-these-are-the-best-things-since-sliced-bread rims, go for it and feel free to come up with any creative way you want to justify spending 3, 4, or 5k on rims. Don't get me wrong, I know my reps aren't as strong as forged wheel, does it bother me? nope, my reps suffice, I have plenty of rubber to protect them from potholes (no stretched look for me), and if I hit a curb that hard the last thing I'll be worried about is if my rim is alright...I'll just buy a new one for like nothing.
people with replicas just keep their traps shut? i have a few replica body pieces and i dont ever try to defend my purchases in any threads. it is what is, but replica owners should know there is just something generally not right about it. maybe you shouldnt try to defend and come off like a moron. just sit back and enjoy it. oh... ive owned two sets of volks and a set of works and ive sit many a crappy potholes and what not... havent had to replace one yet. i didnt pay $1k for each wheel either more like 650... quite a difference there buddeh..
Old 03-21-2011, 08:34 AM
stradaONE8

Worst argument ever: "I buy cheap crap, so when it breaks, I can afford to replace it with more cheap crap."

Uh, I buy one set of nice wheels and they last. I've hit plenty of potholes at speed and my Volks are perfect, that's the point. I'm thinking if I somehow manage to mangle my Volks so badly that I need to replace one, I've done something seriously wrong, not drove over a friggin pothole once.
And 4-5k for Volks? You must be joking or grossly misinformed, I'm going to go with the latter.

Finally, the issue isn't what budget you have to buy wheels, it never has been. That's a straw-man argument you and all replica supporters use to deflect the real issue: you want Volks/Works/etc but don't want to spend the cash to get them. But I/nor anyone cares how much you spend on you car, that's not our business. But the fact that you support a company that blatantly makes products off the hard work of an existing company is shitty ethically. That's my stance.

If you want to buy 1000 dollar wheels to replace easily, great. Find one that's original, there are plenty of companies out there that make 'budget' wheels that are somewhat original in design. But no, you want the look of something you can't have, so you support people who do none of their own design and instead copy it for a fraction of the price.

That is the issue, ethics not budget. Nevermind the quality issues...

Edit: Oh and dan the man, still waiting on an album full of destroyed forged wheels...I see you there lurking. You little lurker you.

Last edited by stradaONE8; 03-21-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Row2K

Originally Posted by Nexx
people with replicas just keep their traps shut? i have a few replica body pieces and i dont ever try to defend my purchases in any threads. it is what is, but replica owners should know there is just something generally not right about it. maybe you shouldnt try to defend and come off like a moron. just sit back and enjoy it. oh... ive owned two sets of volks and a set of works and ive sit many a crappy potholes and what not... havent had to replace one yet. i didnt pay $1k for each wheel either more like 650... quite a difference there buddeh..
haha, alright buddeh, so your saying there are no rims that cost 1k/rim just because you didn't pay that much....wow brilliant, how did I miss that .And your telling me to keep my trap shut, what a joke. Also, who's the one defending here by posting vids of how fake wheels fail, I know what my wheels are, and I make no excuse for them. They are reps and I accept them for what they are, what they cost, and I am perfectly content with them if you didn't pick that up from my first post (let me know if you need me to break it down for you any further with a flow chart or something... I know this can be a little difficult to comprehend). If anything I'm posting more so to poke at all the butt hurt kids and how riled up they get over rep wheel and how if I may quote "the pervasive issue at hand is shitty ethics" ...seriously?, just wheels gents, just wheels lol

Last edited by Row2K; 03-21-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

haha, alright buddeh, so your saying there are no rims that cost 1k/rim just because you didn't pay that much....wow brilliant, how did I miss that .And your telling me to keep my trap shut, what a joke. Also, who's the one defending here by posting vids of how fake wheels fail, I know what my wheels are, and I make no excuse for them. They are reps and I accept them for what they are, what they cost, and I am perfectly content with them if you didn't pick that up from my first post (let me know if you need me to break it down for you any further with a flow chart or something... I know this can be a little difficult to comprehend). If anything I'm posting more so to poke at all the butt hurt kids and how riled up they get over rep wheel and how if I may quote "the pervasive issue at hand is shitty ethics" ...seriously?, just wheels gents, just wheels lol
what are the majority of the people who own high end wheels here own? volks, weds and works right? not sure where you are getting your pricing but they 95% of these wheels are much less than $1k apiece. my first set of volks were gt-7's purchased new for $1900 shipped for all four with center caps and lugs. my second volk purchase, CE28N limited formula edition, $2650 shipped with center caps... i love how you replica owners always seem to argue about how you wouldnt pay for $5000 for wheels or wheels that are $1k each... ummm, sorry to tell you this but the vast majority of us dont pay nearly that much infact almost 50% of that 5k figure you guys like to throw around. i dont have a hard time comprehending anything youre saying. you spout bs, i simply correct your bs.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 AM
asianskater91

where do you order your wheels from nexx?
i need to find z vendors, that are good pricing and legit, currently i have a civic, so 17x9's is what im used to buying haha

Last edited by asianskater91; 03-21-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:00 PM
stradaONE8

They are reps and I accept them for what they are, what they cost, and I am perfectly content with them if you didn't pick that up from my first post (let me know if you need me to break it down for you any further with a flow chart or something... I know this can be a little difficult to comprehend).
Yes, that went over our heads. Please flowchart it.

If anything I'm posting more so to poke at all the butt hurt kids and how riled up they get over rep wheel and how if I may quote "the pervasive issue at hand is shitty ethics" ...seriously?, just wheels gents, just wheels lol
Solid deflection again. Way to avoid anything I posted to your terrible argument prior about buying cheap crap so you can replace it with cheap crap.

And yes, they are just wheels. But again, the product has nothing to do with the ethics of it. I imagine you aren't in a particular position to have a patent or any form or your original work in a position of vulnerability so you make yet another terrible argument. Patents exist to protect people from the exact kind of BS that Varrs and Rota use as way to stay in business. Because you cannot patent a wheel design or change it one iota and reproduce it, you don't see lawsuits. In any other arena, this is illegal.

When you grow up and make it to the real world, you will see that. Come back to me when you have an original idea/product stolen...we'll see how little it matters to you. But yes, just wheels brah, just wheels...
Old 03-21-2011, 12:03 PM
asianskater91

honestly its funny cause people are buying varrstoens for the same if not more for some legit rpf1's...i had weds sports tc105n's 17x9 +25 on my si, and i bought them for 1399 shipped ( i know great price ) but people are buying rotas that cost just that much! haha thats embarrassing IMO

i know some peeps cant afford or dont wanna spend the money, but to me dont spend 1500 on some rotas when for a lil more you can get some volks, or for less you can get rpf1's at least lol
Old 03-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Row2K

Originally Posted by stradaONE8
When you grow up and make it to the real world, you will see that. Come back to me when you have an original idea/product stolen...we'll see how little it matters to you. But yes, just wheels brah, just wheels...
haha When I make it into the real world I'll let you know . Whatever makes you guys feel better about buying your wheels, I couldn't care less...but I do get a kick out of seeing all of you up in arms over this. Its a pretty regular thing. Someone posts an image of a broken rota/varrs/rep/god knows what and every lil nuthugger on this forum just goes apes@it with "omg !!12!! thats exactly y ur an idiot for buing reps and not the super jdm omg hottness !!!!" Its almost as if you all get off on this ...maybe its a fetish for you guys. So feel free, justify your purchases however you must, maybe it will help you sleep at night ... or get off .

As a side note your argument about buying expensive wheels because they last longer is almost entirely bull$4it...sure it might make a difference on some small potholes because yes forged is stronger than cast, but you've clearly never driven in the Northern Jersey/NYC area around spring time. Your wheels might as well be forged in the fires of olympus...cuz guess what...just a matter of time before they bend anyway once you stumble upon one of those truly magnificent craters that are oh so easy to find out here.

...nuthuggers lol
Old 03-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Dragonbreath

I bought my Works for $1500 shipped brand new. They are the cheaper CR Kai's but they are still Works. I agree with stradaone8. Ethics. You will see that if this keeps happening, more original wheels will not be developed simply because the companies doing the R&D will not see the profit.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:23 PM
X.et

I hope you guys who complain about "blatantly stealing designs,etc" don't purchase or use anything else in life that is created based off something else. I definitely hope you would never, ever buy any generic medications since that is a blatant rip off as well and has to do with your health as well.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Row2K

Originally Posted by Dragonbreath
I bought my Works for $1500 shipped brand new. They are the cheaper CR Kai's but they are still Works. I agree with stradaone8. Ethics. You will see that if this keeps happening, more original wheels will not be developed simply because the companies doing the R&D will not see the profit.
Once again BS, c'mone, you really think that just because a couple of dudes in the good ol US of A decide not to put a 2k set of wheels on their 15k 350z a company will stop doing R&D and go out of business. Your blatantly forgetting their motor sports contracts and auto manufacturer partnerships ...hellllooo BBS. If anything these rep companies add to the supply pool thus providing more competition and ultimately making the wheels you buy from manufacturers like volk, work, and bbs cheaper. Also at the end of the day its not like everyone in the world will suddenly stop buying forged wheels because reps are available and those companies will go out of business. They are wheel manufacturers who provide their services based on demand and there will always be a crowd of people who will pay a premium for a premium quality product. The videos such as the one posted on the first page are merely examples of marketing tools used to maintain that crowd of premium demanding buyers at a certain percentile. Do you think that Mercedes got pissed off when Hyundai or Toyota or Nissan stepped up and started making cars that were "more luxurious"?...maybe a lil bit, but it certainly didn't put them out of business nor did it stop them from putting their efforts into R&D. And that my good sir is what supply and demand is all about. As long as there is demand for a premium quality product (forged wheels) there will be companies providing an answer to those needs. And on the flipside as long as there is a demand for a cheaper alternative (cast wheels) for cheap bastards like me who would rather spend the money on oh lets say some super f-ing cheap Uranium Resaurces Inc. stock (seriously have you guys seen whats going on with the uranium companies...holy @#! ppl are going wild cuz of this reactor stuff) there will be a supply of those wheels also .... but I'm starting to sound a bit too serious here so let me throw in ....lol nuthuggers

Originally Posted by X.et
I hope you guys who complain about "blatantly stealing designs,etc" don't purchase or use anything else in life that is created based off something else. I definitely hope you would never, ever buy any generic medications since that is a blatant rip off as well and has to do with your health as well.
+1 , thank you, this guy gets it
Old 03-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you all for keeping on topic of the WedsSport testing video.. and refrain from NAME CALLING...

I would encourage other companies, such as those companies in question, Rota or Varrstoen, if they would be willing to share videos of their in-depth R&D of their wheel lines and give the opportunity to show everyone that they go to through the same strength testing as other wheel companies..

Last edited by Chebosto; 03-21-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:57 PM
stradaONE8

Originally Posted by X.et
ROFL, you know what's worse than a terrible argument? One thats terrible because the person has no clue what they are talking about.

I work in medicine, if you know anything about generic medications you know that they DO NOT sell generics until much later into the drug's lifecycle. The original drug is researched and studied and trialed. This costs the pharma company a lot of money because for each efficable compound, millions are spent on ones that do nothing. This takes years and a lot of cash and work.

Drug patents lasted 15-20 years in the past, new law has reduced that number to 12 years. But do you know why that time span exists? To prevent knockoffs/replicas/generics being made from day one. That's because it takes ALL incentive away for a company to spend the time, money, and manpower to coming up with a new drug when a company can just wait until it's made and reverse engineer a generic.

Drug patent laws exist to prevent early generics from being made. Once the patent expires, then other companies can make the drug, but not until hopefully the company with the original idea has recouped their costs. Patents exist to protect ideas and innovation from those who would otherwise just shortcut their way in.

Without this protection there is no need to innovate, markets stagnate and no one gets anything. This is my point you imbecile. Thanks for making it for me.

+1 , thank you, this guy gets it
Thank you guy who doesn't.

Last edited by stradaONE8; 03-21-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Row2K

Originally Posted by stradaONE8

Thank you guy who doesn't.
lol, ill give you that one, i did not know that. Nice one
Old 03-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Gotta fake it till you make it brah! I can't afford no lambo, but it didn't stop me from fakin it, all the 12 year olds think its real too! Imma throw some Rotas on it and rep!!!
I dont care that im a poser with ghetto fake rims and car, at least I think im cool and at the end of the day, thats all that matters.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I've read all the comments that Row2K and seriously... I don't get why you even bothered to disgrace us with your presence. Ok this is my wheel list:

BBS RGR
BBS LM's
Work VSXX
Volk TE37's
Enkei RPF1's
Forgeline ZX3

Ok... how much does it cost to replace a Varrs or a Rota? Your ideology is completely stupid, I'm from Miami Fl where we have horrible streets in the: Downtown, Brickell, Beach, Cutler Ridge, Coral Gables, Westchester areas (Kno, Adamciya350, and Lo can all vouch for this). So your saying its better to buy an inferior wheel in the event you break one..? If you replace 4 wheels a year on top of the original set you've purchased.. you've bought a set of: Volks, Works, Weds, Enkei's, and etc. Yes its a proven fact that reputable wheels are less likely to fail REGARDLESS of where you drive and what you impact. There's thousands of pics of completely shattered lesser wheel brands and a couple cracked Authentic wheels... why do you think that is? Is it a coincidence? I have a set of Forgeline's from the infamous 350Z that wrecked at Mid Ohio back in 08... guess what? They're intact... all they need is barrels, lips, and 1 face. The face that was damaged wasn't even cracked!!!!

Pics:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11663

I understand not everyone can afford nice wheels but STFU already about authentic wheels being too much... because they're NOT! Don't come here to defend your retard logic.. b/c no one care's that you rock whatever garbage wheel your rocking. Facts are facts home girl so please just bow out with some grace.

Quick Reply: WedsSports Testing: Real vs Replica