Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

WedsSports Testing: Real vs Replica

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:45 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Usually don't jump in, but I bought wheels that I liked which ran $2800. I live in NJ too, I know how bad the roads are so please don't say "Well I live in NJ and the roads suck". I drive on Rt. 9, Rt 35, Rt. 36, Turnpike, Parkway, 287, and 440 pretty often when I take the Z out. All of which have numerous amounts of potholes. Don't say anything about how the roads are crap and give that as a reason why you didn't purchase "real" wheels. If you pay attention while driving/parking, you wouldn't have to worry about damaging your wheels.

By the way, this isn't directed at/to anyone, just stating my comment on this thread and what I just read.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Row2K

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by graffkid732
Usually don't jump in, but I bought wheels that I liked which ran $2800. I live in NJ too, I know how bad the roads are so please don't say "Well I live in NJ and the roads suck". I drive on Rt. 9, Rt 35, Rt. 36, Turnpike, Parkway, 287, and 440 pretty often when I take the Z out. All of which have numerous amounts of potholes. Don't say anything about how the roads are crap and give that as a reason why you didn't purchase "real" wheels. If you pay attention while driving/parking, you wouldn't have to worry about damaging your wheels.

By the way, this isn't directed at/to anyone, just stating my comment on this thread and what I just read.
nope, not directed at anyone at all btw try driving up and down route 3 on a regular basis going into the lincoln tunnel. Pretty much the most congested and fubared road in NJ

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Your ideology is completely stupid....

I understand not everyone can afford nice wheels but STFU already about authentic wheels being too much... because they're NOT! Don't come here to defend your retard logic.. b/c no one care's that you rock whatever garbage wheel your rocking.
haha yea my idealogy is completely stuuuupidd and thats why im wrong. What is this grade school and ideaology ? Really? Are forged wheels a way of life now? A religion dare I say it to some ???? Holy **** you people get worked up over this don't you? And clearly YOU care otherwise you wouldn't be having this conversation. Alright alright, ive had my fun with all you internet warriors, you rascals. I'll stop pocking the anthill before someones internet feelings get hurt. On a side note the Weddsport SA55M do look GREAT, its one of the best looking wheel designs i've seen come out of Japan in some time and in 18s they are easily affordable. If I recall correctly Ravspec was doing a tire/wheel combo deal not too long ago that was hard to beat and very tempting. Can I justify the purchase right now? Nope, not really, don't have a need for forged wheels right now.

stay jdm-cool my nuthuggers, till the next fake vs real thread (less common now ever since Rickdogg toned down his all out jihad against wheeldude ) ... god, I love this forum always something going on

Last edited by Row2K; 03-21-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: unsubscribed
Old 03-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Row2K
nope, not directed at anyone at all btw try driving up and down route 3 on a regular basis going into the lincoln tunnel. Pretty much the most congested and fubared road in NJ

haha yea my idealogy is completely stuuuupidd and thats why im wrong. What is this grade school and ideaology ? Really? Are forged wheels a way of life now? A religion dare I say it to some ???? Holy **** you people get worked up over this don't you? And clearly YOU care otherwise you wouldn't be having this conversation. Alright alright, ive had my fun with all you internet warriors, you rascals. I'll stop pocking the anthill before someones internet feelings get hurt. On a side note the Weddsport SA55M do look GREAT, its one of the best looking wheel designs i've seen come out of Japan in some time and in 18s they are easily affordable. If I recall correctly Ravspec was doing a tire/wheel combo deal not too long ago that was hard to beat and very tempting. Can I justify the purchase right now? Nope, not really, don't have a need for forged wheels right now.

stay jdm-cool my nuthuggers, till the next fake vs real thread (less common now ever since Rickdogg toned down his all out jihad against wheeldude ) ... god, I love this forum always something going on
Jdm nut hugger? Last I checked BBS originated in Germany and Weds wheels are not forged... Neither are RPF1's. So it's pretty obvious you do not know anything about the wheels in question but know it's better to buy a cheap wheel b/c its cheaper to replace. Having a discussion with someone like you is like peeing in a fan... Fking useless.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 AM
X.et

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stradaONE8
ROFL, you know what's worse than a terrible argument? One thats terrible because the person has no clue what they are talking about.

I work in medicine, if you know anything about generic medications you know that they DO NOT sell generics until much later into the drug's lifecycle. The original drug is researched and studied and trialed. This costs the pharma company a lot of money because for each efficable compound, millions are spent on ones that do nothing. This takes years and a lot of cash and work.

Drug patents lasted 15-20 years in the past, new law has reduced that number to 12 years. But do you know why that time span exists? To prevent knockoffs/replicas/generics being made from day one. That's because it takes ALL incentive away for a company to spend the time, money, and manpower to coming up with a new drug when a company can just wait until it's made and reverse engineer a generic.

Drug patent laws exist to prevent early generics from being made. Once the patent expires, then other companies can make the drug, but not until hopefully the company with the original idea has recouped their costs. Patents exist to protect ideas and innovation from those who would otherwise just shortcut their way in.

Without this protection there is no need to innovate, markets stagnate and no one gets anything. This is my point you imbecile. Thanks for making it for me.
You are absolutely more of an imbecile than your POS attempt at an argument is. You do realize NOTHING in your argument in the least bit counters my argument in the least? You are a real piece of work, I can't believe idiots like you ever get a degree in anything, much less get a job in a health related field.

Do you even know how long some of the volk wheels that varr copied have existed? Hmmm you don't think they have been out long enough to prove that the overall design is sound? You don't think they have recouped their "R&D" money? You have to be the biggest retard if you don't believe that they have. And you even bother to mention patents, do you know how the patents for these wheels work?

Why don't you go around and find all the stories of knock-offs "failing" and make sure to collect all the background stories to show that the conditions aren't so extreme such as the situation mentioned above of a car rolling multiple times leading to a wheel breaking. Then find out how many of these "knock-offs" have been sold and look at how measly the "failure" rates are. You and everyone else are shooting their mouths off without even the least bit of evidence.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Originally Posted by X.et
You are absolutely more of an imbecile than your POS attempt at an argument is. You do realize NOTHING in your argument in the least bit counters my argument in the least? You are a real piece of work, I can't believe idiots like you ever get a degree in anything, much less get a job in a health related field.

Do you even know how long some of the volk wheels that varr copied have existed? Hmmm you don't think they have been out long enough to prove that the overall design is sound? You don't think they have recouped their "R&D" money? You have to be the biggest retard if you don't believe that they have. And you even bother to mention patents, do you know how the patents for these wheels work?

Why don't you go around and find all the stories of knock-offs "failing" and make sure to collect all the background stories to show that the conditions aren't so extreme such as the situation mentioned above of a car rolling multiple times leading to a wheel breaking. Then find out how many of these "knock-offs" have been sold and look at how measly the "failure" rates are. You and everyone else are shooting their mouths off without even the least bit of evidence.
Ok you sir are just as stupid as the other guy... The design is only as sound as the materials used. I can make an origami Volk TE37 and because its the same design its going to be a good wheel? Your logic is false... case and point.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:03 PM
X.et

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Ok you sir are just as stupid as the other guy... The design is only as sound as the materials used. I can make an origami Volk TE37 and because its the same design its going to be a good wheel? Your logic is false... case and point.
Once again this relates to the other guy's argument of drugs, their materials may not be synthesized/purified by the same company or method. Does that make it less effective as well?

And once again where is your proof that this makes a substantial difference in incidence rate? There has been absolutely no consolidation of incidents regarding wheels cracking/breaking with the circumstances taken into consideration for both forged and knock-off copies. Sure you see people post once in a while that their rims cracked/fell off, but rarely is there good background information.

Plus how many times does that occur per the many, many copies sold? Everything on this planet carries a risk, and there isn't even any evidence to say knock-off's are a substantial risk at all. Don't say that ohh if you buy knock-offs and hit a pothole they are going to break, because judging by the lack of reports of this type it is likely that 99% of knock-offs won't even break. Sure 99.9% of forged won't break but that is such a small chance on potholes that likely have to be huge to cause that kind of force/damage.

Point is that everything is just speculation about the dangers of these rims vs another type. There is no study or well documented evidence to suggest much of anything period.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 PM
moforeynolds

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you guys talking about patent laws need to realize that it's probably exceptionally difficult to actually make the case stick because of the international market. I'm in a different industry, but I have to believe there are considerable parallels. I own a specialty clothing company, and deal with knock-off companies on a fairly regular basis that steal my designs. I AM successful when I catch knock-off companies using MY images to market their products, at least if it's a US company/website, but as far as the actual design of my products--not so much. Granted, my stuff is made overseas. But the companies that have copied my products are based in places like China or the Philippines, places that don't give a **** about trademark or patent laws. Even if I could make my case, how the hell and who the hell is going to enforce it?

In the real world, the most I can do is to constantly update my available product line to stay ahead of the game. I also keep a very keen eye on my retailers (I am wholesale only) and make it clear that I cannot do business with companies that also carry knock-off goods...which is pretty much what Rays has done lately. Either way, this has never been a problem, mostly because my retailers abide by their own set of ethics and understand how destructive and problematic knock-offs can be to ANY industry for a multitude of reasons.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Dragonbreath

Originally Posted by Row2K
Once again BS, c'mone, you really think that just because a couple of dudes in the good ol US of A decide not to put a 2k set of wheels on their 15k 350z a company will stop doing R&D and go out of business. Your blatantly forgetting their motor sports contracts and auto manufacturer partnerships ...hellllooo BBS. If anything these rep companies add to the supply pool thus providing more competition and ultimately making the wheels you buy from manufacturers like volk, work, and bbs cheaper. Also at the end of the day its not like everyone in the world will suddenly stop buying forged wheels because reps are available and those companies will go out of business. They are wheel manufacturers who provide their services based on demand and there will always be a crowd of people who will pay a premium for a premium quality product. The videos such as the one posted on the first page are merely examples of marketing tools used to maintain that crowd of premium demanding buyers at a certain percentile. Do you think that Mercedes got pissed off when Hyundai or Toyota or Nissan stepped up and started making cars that were "more luxurious"?...maybe a lil bit, but it certainly didn't put them out of business nor did it stop them from putting their efforts into R&D. And that my good sir is what supply and demand is all about. As long as there is demand for a premium quality product (forged wheels) there will be companies providing an answer to those needs. And on the flipside as long as there is a demand for a cheaper alternative (cast wheels) for cheap bastards like me who would rather spend the money on oh lets say some super f-ing cheap Uranium Resaurces Inc. stock (seriously have you guys seen whats going on with the uranium companies...holy @#! ppl are going wild cuz of this reactor stuff) there will be a supply of those wheels also .... but I'm starting to sound a bit too serious here so let me throw in ....lol nuthuggers

+1 , thank you, this guy gets it
Wow you must not understand how things work in reality. Knock offs play a huge factor in companies livelihoods. Im not saying that it will happen immediately but if companies start making knock offs of newly released wheels it will greatly impact the original maker of the wheel. There is no telling how much money goes into the R&D of making a wheel. Sure they may have partnerships but realistically how much money are they really making off of them? Sure they may make the money for R&D back, but what about enough profit to pay all the employees of the company, pay for the utility bills, supplies, insurance, and then turn a profit that will keep the company afloat? You give the example of a 15k 350z. What about the 33k 370z? Or the other platforms of cars that these knock off wheels are geared toward? Look at how much the varrs took off in the 350z market alone. I honestly do not care if its "JDM". The wheels could be originated from Mexico for all I care.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:06 AM
stradaONE8

You asked if I have ever bought a generic drug as a parallel to why replica wheels should be ok to buy. I used the drug patent story to illustrate a point about protecting those who innovate from those who take a shortcut and copy, nothing more. I think people who come up with ideas should have some market protection from the rest who sit and wait in the wings for others work to be done. Call me old fashioned I guess. But like I said, you have never been through it. I have. That's the difference. Have something of yours stolen and then I'll bet my bottom nickel you become a huge fan of innovation protection.

Also let me get this straight. So because the TE37 has been around a while, it's ok to replicate it. Ok. Good, check. How about the RE30? Is that ok? It's been around a lot less time. How about some new wheel they come out with in a few months? Is that ok to copy on day one?

Solid argument to set a precedent. Kudos, you win all the points. Ever thought about a career in law?

Not once did I make a statement about the quality of replica wheels being so substandard that you can't use them on the road or even on track. Obviously Rotas and likely Varrs are driveable and will do fine in most all conditions. That being said, forged one piece wheels are obviously more robust, lighter and have never been seen to completely avulse at the spokes. These are not points of contention, just facts. I didn't once say anything about Rotas not being worthy of the track or about failure rates.

Apparently reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Go back and read a little more closely, I think you'll find your terrible point about generic drugs is terrible when you actually read what I wrote and don't create a bunch of strawmen arguments.

And yea, I'm not sure how an idiot like me made it through either...but I have a couple degrees worth a nickel or two from some okay places nevertheless. Guess they'll let anyone through...suppose you should give it the ol' college try if you're not too busy.

edit: Sorry for the delay in reply X.et, my idiot *** was working. God knows how many people have died because of me though...

Last edited by stradaONE8; 03-24-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Max-G

wow the last three pages have been hilarious.

row2k and x.et, you two are unbelievable. i think i've filled my face palm quota for the year after reading your posts.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:21 PM
stradaONE8

Heck, let me simplify the issue at hand with a large (not always accurate) generalization about the current trend towards replica wheels:
WedsSports Testing: Real vs Replica-slw1a.jpg
Old 03-26-2011, 06:29 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Originally Posted by stradaONE8
Heck, let me simplify the issue at hand with a large (not always accurate) generalization about the current trend towards replica wheels:
this!