Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Extreme performance tires for 18s

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 03:01 AM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scotts300
275 is the absolute minimum I would use on a 10.5" wheel, and even then the lip pokes out from the tire (which I absolutely hate). A 285 is the minimum tire - to me - that is suitable for a 10.5" wheel. Yes, the speedo will be off, but that can be compensated.
How can an incorrect speedometer be compensated for? Do you mean guessing your speed?

For your information, tire grip is most influenced by tire pressure, not width. However, I constantly see car owners using wider (and heavier) tires with the misconception that they will gain grip. The largest benefit of wider tires is increased sidewall stiffness, not grip. However, using a wide wheel can also increase feedback and stability. You see, a little tire stretch is good for performance. Personally, I use 245/40-18 & 245/45-18 tires on four 18x9.5 wheels and have been extremely satisfied with the performance of my "clown car." Time after time, I see people with super wide tires, massive intercoolers, oversized injectors, and large turbos on their cars. I think they're trying to make up for some other shortcomings.

Oh, and by the way...no one cares what you absolutely hate.

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Lawn Dart your sizes are far more ridiculous given the wheel sizes I provided.
The smaller sizes I suggested are stock sizes and were only provided for reference. The other sizes were hardly a ridiculous suggestion. A 9.5" wheel, as you suggested, will easily accommodate a 245 mm (9.65 inch) wide front tire. Furthermore, any 275 mm (10.83 inch) wide tire will easily mount to a 10.5" wheel. Don't believe me? Look it up any tire at any manufacturer's website and check the recommended wheel sizes.

I find it difficult to believe you're having trouble finding tires with decent sizes.

Last edited by Lawn Dart; 06-03-2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:37 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Lawn Dart, a wider tire will have a more balanced radius over the contact patch. This means less tire deformation. Lower deformation leads to lower friction for the tire.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

17's are out, akebonos are on the car already.

Tire wear is definitely something to think about, my commute is kinda long at 30 miles each way.

The reason I was originally thinking about the Enkei's is they are cheap enough, and I might actually get a 2nd set of something later on so I could have a set for track and street. But, I've slept on this a couple of days now, and I feel the Enkei's in +15 are not the fitment I'm looking for. I understand a lot of guys run them with no issues, but I am being particular about the setup I have in mind. In the end that's all that matters to me.

Originally I wanted CE28N's but I don't really want to drop that kind of money again only to have the wheels be a constant source of worry. The Weds look like the right price for a decent wheel.

Well, I can go a round with RS3's and see how long they last...

Lawn Dart don't get me wrong, I appreciate your suggestions, I am just not going that direction of square skinny stretched tires.

Cheston, I appreciate the offer - I won't have time to drive down to LA until July at the earliest, and I don't think I'm going to do end up doing a square setup. Not that I don't see the benefits. I still haven't seen you say anything about VDC in regards to that... what is so wrong about wanting my VDC to work on the street?

So right now I'm thinking of doing the following:

Weds SA55M
Front: 18x9.0 +20
Rear: 18x10.0 +18

This is *exactly* the fitment I am looking for and I like the wheels. Just trying to finalize the tire selection.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 06-03-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:38 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawn Dart
How can an incorrect speedometer be compensated for? Do you mean guessing your speed?

For your information, tire grip is most influenced by tire pressure, not width. However, I constantly see car owners using wider (and heavier) tires with the misconception that they will gain grip. The largest benefit of wider tires is increased sidewall stiffness, not grip. However, using a wide wheel can also increase feedback and stability. You see, a little tire stretch is good for performance. Personally, I use 245/40-18 & 245/45-18 tires on four 18x9.5 wheels and have been extremely satisfied with the performance of my "clown car." Time after time, I see people with super wide tires, massive intercoolers, oversized injectors, and large turbos on their cars. I think they're trying to make up for some other shortcomings.

Oh, and by the way...no one cares what you absolutely hate.
No, not a guess. I'm kind of good at math, so I have memorized that when my speedo reads 35, I'm actually going 34mph; and when it reads 75mph, I'm actually going 73mph; it doesn't get to 3mph "off" until I'm going 95mph, so I'm actually going 92mph (285/35/18 rear tire). I also have a GPS system which tell me my actual speed, so I'm doubly-covered.

You say that grip is mostly (>50%) influenced by tire pressure. Let's assume that is true. Wouldn't I have more grip by having the correct tire pressure and more contact patch? I do a lot of timed events, and - in general - more width has led to more grip, though there is an inflection point that is a function of tire weight. Besides the tires, I don't have any of those other things on my car. . .

I only say that I hate when the wheel pokes out because I change my wheels around a lot. I helped a friend who had 275s on his 10.5" wheels, and when I laid the wheel down on the ground (shiny side up of course), the metal at the back of the wheel scrubbed the ground. They also can't be stacked for the same reason - I like a little tire poke, that's all.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:01 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Purchase RS3's and enjoy! You will not find another street tire that will perform any better for the price. Unless you switch to federal 595RSR's.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:02 AM
flecko28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

double posted...

Last edited by flecko28; 06-03-2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: damn double post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:03 AM
flecko28

Just to throw in some math from the other side of the "traction issue",

While tire pressure does have a lot to do with the tire being able to properly grip, the basic traction formula is:

Traction = (Coefficient of static friction) x (Weight)

So all things remaining the same - aka sidewall height, tire pressure - it's more dependent on the compound of the tire itself. I throw this in as a constructive argument.

also, Lawn Dart, you came on quite aggressive with:

"I see people with super wide tires, massive intercoolers, oversized injectors, and large turbos on their cars. I think they're trying to make up for some other shortcomings."

You're offending a lot of people who modify their car for themselves and for the track. Unless you're looking for an internet forum battle, I'd tone it down some man. Lets keep this on good ground.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:26 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Weds SA55M
Front: 18x9.0 +20
Rear: 18x10.0 +18

This is *exactly* the fitment I am looking for and I like the wheels. Just trying to finalize the tire selection.
Well i still say 265/35 or 275/35 front with 285/35 rear RS3 or run the 275/35 front with 295/35 NT05
Old 06-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Thanks terra - sounds good.

I don't need the absolute optimal setup for traction at this point, I am just trying to have fun with my car again and want a tire that can stand up to akebonos. I'd rather have a good fitment that I am personally comfortable with than try to go to extremes.

The wheels are more important at this point, whereas the tires will always wear out and I can go with something different next time.

So what I need now is a guarantee that the Weds in 18x9.0 +20 will clear akebonos.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 06-03-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:53 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

^ Sounds like you got most of everything figured out. Very good choice on the wheels and you'll love the R-S3's. Has your car changed much since you were on the forums in the past?

BTW, I love your user title, Dr. Wired.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
^ Sounds like you got most of everything figured out. Very good choice on the wheels and you'll love the R-S3's. Has your car changed much since you were on the forums in the past?

BTW, I love your user title, Dr. Wired.
Thanks Chris!

Not too much has changed - I did take off the Emanage ultimate because I had an intermittently bad solder point in the wire harness there and it caused the car to die a couple of times. Now I am pretty excited about the uprev tuner kit... hard to beat tuning the stock ECU

For a while I was pretty broke and terribly busy just finishing up grad school, so there was a long period where I didn't do anything with the car whatsoever. Then I went to Japan for a vacation after I graduated, and became even more broke.

Then I got a job, became less broke. Finally I saved up for an engagement ring, so that made a big dent as well.

So I'm kind of budget minded right now, but salary is decent so I may end up going with a Vortech in another 6 months or so. In the mean time just want to get my car to a point where I'm actually happy with it again. And right now that means I really, really want these SF challenges OFF the car.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 06-03-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:35 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Dang, I'm headed in the same direction pretty much with grad school myself. Congrats on your Ph.D. and also on your engagement - lots of exciting news!

And to keep this thread on topic, if you're looking for some cheap and lightweight wheels, have you looked into MB wheels? A lot of autocrossers I know use these wheels without issues.

http://www.wheelsbymbmotoring.com/ga...gory=passenger
Old 06-03-2011, 11:35 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Dang, I'm headed in the same direction pretty much with grad school myself. Congrats on your Ph.D. and also on your engagement - lots of exciting news!

And to keep this thread on topic, if you're looking for some cheap and lightweight wheels, have you looked into MB wheels? A lot of autocrossers I know use these wheels without issues.

http://www.wheelsbymbmotoring.com/ga...gory=passenger
Old 06-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Thanks man, PhD is pretty nice, I landed a really interesting job that's been a lot of fun. A lot of PhDs get pigeonholed into a specific field of study, I managed to break out of that and I work on a really diverse set of science/engineering consulting cases now.

What are you planning on pursuing in grad school?

Looks like most of those are 17s max - of those I like the Competitions the best.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 06-03-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:28 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

I'm currently in school for a Clinical Psychology. My passionate hatred for labs in bio, chem, and phys deterred me from even taking the MCAT.

Mike, check out Discount Tire. Many of the Dallas locals have the Weapons and Battles in 18s (although they're 9.5" wide wheels). Let me try to get a link for you.

edit - http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/whe...wheels/home.do
Old 06-03-2011, 01:05 PM
scardeal

Originally Posted by flecko28
Just to throw in some math from the other side of the "traction issue",

While tire pressure does have a lot to do with the tire being able to properly grip, the basic traction formula is:

Traction = (Coefficient of static friction) x (Weight)

So all things remaining the same - aka sidewall height, tire pressure - it's more dependent on the compound of the tire itself. I throw this in as a constructive argument.
For 2 rigid surfaces at a constant temperature, that is correct. However, tires are slightly more complex than that...

They are both deformable and have a changing coefficient of friction based on temperature. So the optimal tire compound at 50 degrees F is different than the optimal tire compound at 80 degrees F.

Oftentimes, a true street tire will experience loads and temperatures on the track for which it has not been designed. It can cause accelerated wear, whereby the street tire actually has a shorter usable lifetime on the track than a track tire.