Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Catastrophic wheel failure @ 25mph & Pothole

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:11 PM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've been preaching for a long time... this is so par.

lucky this didn't happen at speed.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:26 PM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No bueno no bueno
Old 06-26-2011, 08:30 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Varrstoen 5.5.2. shipped to 96789
Old 06-26-2011, 08:30 PM
omsin523

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's crazy. There's going to be a updated version now Varrstoen 5.5.3.
lol
Old 06-26-2011, 08:59 PM
BEBO'S ZEE

Wasn't there a guy here in SoCal that had a nismo with these wheels? I think he was also in an accident and had similar damage. Can't remember his user name but I think he was in some type of cannon ball rally.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BEBO'S ZEE
Wasn't there a guy here in SoCal that had a nismo with these wheels? I think he was also in an accident and had similar damage. Can't remember his user name but I think he was in some type of cannon ball rally.
Good memory, here is the aftermath:

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...ikara-ls1.html
Old 06-26-2011, 10:11 PM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DAMN!

well I ran a huge Pothole doing about 40mph and tossed my Z by about a couple of inches off the ground. The next day I went to a trackday.
About a month later, some dumb mechanic dropped the car off the jackstand... The Rota's are still in 1 piece. That was 2 years ago. still running the same ****.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:50 PM
BEBO'S ZEE

Originally Posted by Waizzz
Good memory, here is the aftermath:

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...ikara-ls1.html
Thanks

After looking at that link though, it seems the nismo was in an accident(not just a pot hole) but it looks like the same wheels
Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 AM
shaddy-z.

Damn honestly I'm ordering these wheels tomorrow. Not sure if this changed my mind though. I'm sure he was going over 25 people tend to under exaggerate when it's THEIR fault. I'm getting them because I'm modding on a college budget, and these are the cheaper/better looking aggressive wheels. No I will not put BBS caps on them, I'm totally against that. Serves him right for faking it. I'm a careful driver and I avoid potholes even at stock height. What idiot would hit a pot hole at 25+? That's like going over speed bumps at the speed.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:53 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

You obviously didn't read th OP closely. He states it was a 2 inch pothole and the ground gave way and turned out to be a much bigger pothole underneath. Not entirely his fault then.
Makes me glad i have the CE28's. I've accidentally hit a couple of big potholes at 120kmh and their still perfect.

Serious wheels for serious peolple

Last edited by ReV2Red; 06-27-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:47 AM
lixam

ive hit monster potholes/dips on the freeway at 60-80mph, my car caught air and hit the Nismo sway bar causing it to pop up.. and is dumped/flush on the ground with aggressive wheels on 40/35 series tires with negative camber...and

not a scratch on wheels or anything..

Work vs-mx & Enkei RPF1.

I believe for driving around town, sure, yes replicas are great, just dont complain or put up an argument over the quality payed for them against real wheels or when you bust one wide open..
Old 06-27-2011, 05:23 AM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ouch!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:34 AM
dan avoN7

I don't have any first hand experience with Varrstoen wheels but I wanted to comment on some of the posts. Without more info on the situation or testing on the wheels a lot of these comments shouldn't even be made. That seems to be the nature of this forum at times though

Originally Posted by Chebosto
If anyone caught Formula D NJ last week, big big big accident caused an Enkei to shatter, but that car was going near triple digits into the wall to cause that force of impact to cause the similar amount of damage, but if you look closely to the broken Enkei, the aluminum BENT first, then sheared. It wasnt a straight crack at the seam/edge of the wheel like the first image.
The impacts are no where near the same. With your knowledge/expierence I would expect you to notice this right away and not make this comparison. I also saw the crash at Formula D NJ and that car had a side impact with the wall (likely caused the bend/crack on the lip). A few seconds later the wheel eventually split and come in two. The forces are different between a side impact and a pothole. There is absolutely no way to compare the two unless both wheels are in a controlled environment on the same test rigs (90* drop impact, 13* drop impact, etc..).

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
It's also the reason why the real wheel companies charge so much for their center caps in the first place.
lol?
Originally Posted by Old School
I get sh*t for my 5zigen FNs sometimes....they maybe cheaper wheels, but at least their not fake. Strong too for such a light wheel.

and they're bolted to ARP wheel studs. don't want my wheel flying off cuz the studs or the wheels break.
I hate to break it to you (no pun intended) but I've seen many 5zigen wheels shear at the hub after impacts. Don't get me wrong, they are a quality cast aluminum wheel but I've seen the same thing happen..
Originally Posted by Shaddy-Z.
Damn honestly I'm ordering these wheels tomorrow. Not sure if this changed my mind though. I'm sure he was going over 25 people tend to under exaggerate when it's THEIR fault. I'm getting them because I'm modding on a college budget, and these are the cheaper/better looking aggressive wheels. No I will not put BBS caps on them, I'm totally against that. Serves him right for faking it. I'm a careful driver and I avoid potholes even at stock height. What idiot would hit a pot hole at 25+? That's like going over speed bumps at the speed.
I doubt the owner intentionally hit the pothole... Sometimes these things are just unavoidable (car in lane next to you, pothole blends in, etc..) and you hit them.

I agree that that speed that he reports is skeptical. I also own a M3 and I find it odd that he was in 4th gear going 25mph.. let alone up a HILL! No point in speculating but it just struck me as odd
Originally Posted by ReV2Red
You obviously didn't read th OP closely. He states it was a 2 inch pothole and the ground gave way and turned out to be a much bigger pothole underneath. Not entirely his fault then.
Makes me glad i have the CE28's. I've accidentally hit a couple of big potholes at 120kmh and their still perfect.

Serious wheels for serious peolple
CE28's are my favorite wheel I wish I could say the same about my set though, a pothole got the best of mine and bent them up pretty bad
Old 06-27-2011, 07:02 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a set of LM's made in the Mid 90's... I've hit several potholes and I have yet to bend them or scratch them. I don't understand why people would pose the real thing, it irritates me to no end.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't completely bash knock-offs for certain situations, but I've had my share of pot hole and other road hazards with my TE's. The most damaged I've received from all the impacts was a popped tire bead or a blown strut. I haven't even dinged one of my wheels.

As davidv stated, street driving encompasses a lot more variables than track driving and I'm glad that I was able to put on a set of wheels on the Z for as much driving as I do with my Z.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:48 AM
shaddy-z.

Originally Posted by dan avoN7

I doubt the owner intentionally hit the pothole... Sometimes these things are just unavoidable (car in lane next to you, pothole blends in, etc..) and you hit them.

I agree that that speed that he reports is skeptical. I also own a M3 and I find it odd that he was in 4th gear going 25mph.. let alone up a HILL! No point in speculating but it just struck me as odd
Yeah I completely understand the unavoidable situations. But the fact that he said 4th gear going 25 going uphill like you also caught, makes it obvious he was going a bit faster. I'm not going to autox my car on these if I do order them today. Seeing this makes me feel uneasy so we'll see if I'll jump on them today. I've always been looking into a set of RPF1's but they're more expensive. I mean after all I'll just be dailying the car. I don't think they'll crack from normal dailying. You couldn't potentially sell a wheel that cracks from just driving like a normal person.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Originally Posted by Shaddy-Z.
Yeah I completely understand the unavoidable situations. But the fact that he said 4th gear going 25 going uphill like you also caught, makes it obvious he was going a bit faster. I'm not going to autox my car on these if I do order them today. Seeing this makes me feel uneasy so we'll see if I'll jump on them today. I've always been looking into a set of RPF1's but they're more expensive. I mean after all I'll just be dailying the car. I don't think they'll crack from normal dailying. You couldn't potentially sell a wheel that cracks from just driving like a normal person.
You can get a set of RPF1's for about 1100-1300 shipped to you... if you saved your money this long, just wait a little longer. I completely get you can't drop $4k for some Volks but the price difference between the Varrcrap and Enkei's isnt that much.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:12 AM
NissanZ03

Thats ridiculous
Old 06-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

First thing to point out is the fact the BMW guys usually run a lower profile like 30's on a 19"... On a heavy a$$ BMW wheel issues don't surprise me.. Shizz my friend who has a M5 goes through OEM wheels like no other driving on NYC streets.. I think even Benz sells wheel insurance on AMG models. Sux either way
Old 06-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
At least the real BBS centercap survived

Because they wish they had the real thing, whether deep down, or right on the surface. They aren't likely to buy a mod because they want it, instead it is the definition of being a poseur - doing it so other people will think a certain thought about you. It's also the reason why the real wheel companies charge so much for their center caps in the first place.
Adam you aren't kidding... between my flat Volk centercaps and BBS's I have about 375.00 in centercaps alone.