Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

R Compound Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 01:56 PM
1975yellowBSPZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R Compound Question

For trackdays/driver ed etc.. are there any negatives to running R compound tires in dry conditions, other then high price and quick treadwear? Do any of these negatives outweigh the positives?
Assuming a Track model 350Z currently running on oem rubber.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Audito350Z

I run 275/40-17 Yokohama AO32Rs (hard compound) on 17x9 Enkei RPO2J wheels... only negative is the humming from the tires when I drive, and I usually drive to the track with the race tires on the car.

I have a Track model and I used the OEM RE040s for two events... they were destroyed after the second event. I used TOYO T1Ss for one event and they were much better than the RE040s.

I've put about 350 track miles on my current set of AO32Rs and they hardy look worn. Since I have the same size front and rear, I can rotate front to back and rotate the tire on the wheel. I fully expect to get 5 events out of these tires... or about 2000 miles, including driving to the track. For me, that's pretty much the whole year.

I tried Kumho Victoracer V700s and they are too soft... I flatspotted on brand new front tire when I had a spin in one turn. So, basically didn't even get a whole weekend out of one set of them.

I have not tried any other tires... I hear the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup is a very good tire... but a lot of $$$. Same with TOYO RA1s.

Hope that helps.

PeteH
Old 12-11-2003, 02:19 PM
mcclaskz

Yeah, if you don't know what you are doing, they will bite you. There is no warning when you go past max adhesion. You'd probably be better off running street tires, but tuning your suspension with sways and other things first. The stock tires are awful, punnish them first, then come back with some stickier street tires. I have found the Toyo t1s to be pretty good. Good luck...
Old 12-11-2003, 05:00 PM
patdsaunders

I have three street vehicles - all on race rubber. Race tires do not inherently break away quickly as opposed to street tires. Some tires do and some do not - street and race. Tires are specifically tested for this quality. I just had a set of Toyo RA-1s delivered. They will not break away suddenly. I have these on my superchared Miata and have run them for years on other cars. The tires on the car now, Nitto race, are shot from track and street use. They are particulary fun right now because they give way early (i.e. shot), but very slowly and I just drift around corners with the rear hung out. Slow, but fun. I actually know little of street tires anymore, except on rental cars. I said many years ago I know I had made it when I could afford race tires all the time. This is the greatest performance mod you can make.

Again, I have run nothing but race tires on the street for over 3 years now and I just can't go back. Other than cost, I know of no drawbacks. Note that in damp conditions, DOT race tires will way out perform street tires, but not in standing water.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:34 AM
Blue Liquid

Originally posted by patdsaunders
This is the greatest performance mod you can make.

Again, I have run nothing but race tires on the street for over 3 years now and I just can't go back. Other than cost, I know of no drawbacks. Note that in damp conditions, DOT race tires will way out perform street tires, but not in standing water.

I thought I was the only one who did this!