Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

How to avoid rim damage on tire change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 05:13 AM
mrice
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to avoid rim damage on tire change?

Dealer ruined my wheels on feathering TSB and they will replace. This after service writer swore they had the equipment to avoid scrapes. Who do you trust and how do you find quality equipment and service for tire work?
Old 12-24-2003, 05:44 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having the right equipment is just part of the answer: having someone who knows how to properly use the equipment is just as important!
Old 12-24-2003, 06:00 AM
mpfstew

Default Re: How to avoid rim damage on tire change?

Originally posted by mrice
Dealer ruined my wheels on feathering TSB and they will replace. This after service writer swore they had the equipment to avoid scrapes. Who do you trust and how do you find quality equipment and service for tire work?
I had the same problem. Dealer swaped the tires around per TSB and dinged up my rims. When I had the tires replaced with Kumho's a few weeks ago I went to the tire place I wanted to do the replacement and watched them do someone elses tires. It only took an hour of my time after work and I was confident they could do it without f&#$ing up my rims. If you have time try that. Also, stand as close to the machines as you can when they are installing the tires so you can watch. Don't let them tell you you're not allowed in the shop. If they say that, take your tires somewhere else. Just my $.02
Old 12-24-2003, 09:42 AM
Zrated

Dealer scratched all 4 of my Track wheels when they did an alignment because of tire feathering (feathering has not come back)

They replaced all 4 wheels, and did a good job, but still not as perfect as when delivered.

The 2 front tire pressure monitor units were broken when taking the tires off so they replaced those too.

I may end up taking the new tires to the dealer to put on, because they will be extra carefull, and I would assume would make good on anything that went wrong.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:39 AM
barrybell

AS far as I'm concerned if you do not wish your wheels damaged, there is only oneway to accomplish that, Buy the equipment yourself (I know cannot afford) and do your wheels yourself.

I have a strong belief in today economic world making money is more important then quality work with many service departments,
dealers and third parties.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:19 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally posted by barrybell
AS far as I'm concerned if you do not wish your wheels damaged, there is only oneway to accomplish that, Buy the equipment yourself (I know cannot afford) and do your wheels yourself.

I have a strong belief in today economic world making money is more important then quality work with many service departments,
dealers and third parties.

Okay, lemme think here, yeah I'll jus go out and buy a wheel alignment kit for my Z.

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2003, 11:51 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finding a place

To find a place to trust find a place that sells EXPENSIVE wheels.

If they sell NICE wheels and tires they probably have figured out how to not damage them.

Oddly enough the local TOwn Fair tire here is pretty good. They sell a lot of nice rims and they did not scratch my 18 inch rims when they dismounted a tire for me.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:09 PM
NY 350Z

i work at a tire place (house of tires, levittown NY) we have a special runflat machine. we are runflat certified. BUT even when we use the regular machine (for steel wheels) we still do it with no scratches. what i do is put a tire lubricant on the rim it self,and make sure the plastic on the end of the machine has meat left on it. We did bust rhymes truck (20's) as well as NUMEROUS jet players. for example tyrone carter,with 24" spreewells. You wont scratch the rim unless you dont give a crap and wanna get it done quick,simple as that.
Old 12-25-2003, 06:52 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

How to avoid rim damage on tire change?

Ummmm, pray a lot?

No matter how hard my dealer tried they still dinged them a little when they did the tire swap and alignment.

They weren't damaged on the rear by the alignment, only the fronts when they did the swap.

The dealer just bought a new "performance tire" machine and I showed them pics of previous damage, they used the lube stuff, and they really did try to be extra careful. All that and still slight dings. Not really noticable though.