Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Winter Wheel & Tire Setup Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:07 PM
La_Fiebre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
if u cant afford snow tires which is stupid to begin with then sell the car and buy something u can afford and drive all year long..z should be taken off the road for winter, snow tires or not truly...
I was just looking for a little knowledge on driving and tires for the winter you SOB . Its ppl you like that make forms upsetting to new ppl like me.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:26 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by La_Fiebre
I was just looking for a little knowledge on driving and tires for the winter you SOB . Its ppl you like that make forms upsetting to new ppl like me.
cry me a river..
Old 10-13-2011, 12:28 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by citizen_snips
Its not a Ferrari or something, its a Nissan. It drives fine in snow as long as you are a competant driver, and aren't on summer tires.
the car is not the concern..ferrari or not..its a rwd sports car not meant to drive in the snow..i understand with snow tires it can be done yes..but its just straight up retarded..if u think ur ballin enough and want to buy a z then ur pockets should be deep enough to get a winter beater..i dont care how many of these idiotic threads pop up everyday there is always a few dumb asses thinking that the z is just fine for winter..its just stupidity winter tires or not..
Old 10-13-2011, 12:49 PM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I consider myself to still be a pretty new member....but I've seen enough threads and I think some people really need to relax a bit. Lot's of people don't know a thing about cars...at all. They buy Z's because they look really nice, and they're quick and nimble. Then they get in a bind and they reach out for help and get ripped apart lol.

I suggest to try and just have a little patience with new people, and help them out if you feel like it, otherwise why even post. I mean, it's pretty easy to be a big man behind a keyboard, I bet half the things flamed at people would never be said to their faces lol.

Anyway, just relax people, you're turning away new people from the community. They gotta start somewhere, the dude wasnt being disrespectful or a complete tool, he just doesn't know about this stuff.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:56 PM
tylerxfire

S
E
A
R
C
H

topic has been covered a hundred times...read and make ur choice pretty much..if the car gets banged up during the winter then what..u dont have money to even buy tires now how will it be repaired if it needs to be..its never ending..especially when someone cant even afford the car in the first place apparently..
Old 10-13-2011, 01:28 PM
midna

Driving on summer tires during winter is miserable. Had to do it a few times last year. You will be the slowest car on the road, you need to take corners as slow as possible, and you need to plan your route to avoid all hills....
Old 10-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by moheadmobile
I live in RI and winter is right around the corner. Although i would buy snow tires in a heartbeat, it's just financially impossible for me to do so this year.

So realistically speaking, what kind of driving conditions should I expect / how hard will it be?
I basically plan on just driving very, very slow. everwhere.
How steep of a hill is too steep for a Z without winter tires?

I have an '04 track and it sucks ***** that the Rays have to basically **** the bed this year, I plan on (once money isnt an issue) buying fresh new wheels for summer driving and keeping the what will already be beat-up Rays as winter wheels and suit those up with nice snow tires. Good idea or no?
Thread merged with current thread on the same topic that was literally at the top of the subforum.

Please search before making a thread, most likely there is already info on the topic and a new thread is not needed.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

After driving 350Z’s (a couple of ‘em) year around (summer and winter) for 8 years, I believe I can provide accurate advice on the tires you need for varying weather conditions.

As others replying on this thread state, you cannot run summer performance tires in the winter. If you can even get the car moving, you will crash because you will not be able to stop.

If you are operating the car in freezing conditions with snow, you need studless snow tires. If the climate is a little warmer and you experience thawing during the winter month, all season tires are a good choice.

--Spike
Old 10-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Sarahs350Z

s
e
a
r
c
h

topic has been covered a hundred times...read and make ur choice pretty much..if the car gets banged up during the winter then what..u dont have money to even buy tires now how will it be repaired if it needs to be..its never ending..especially when someone cant even afford the car in the first place apparently..

cool your jets, sir.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:47 AM
Darkside Mojo

AWD beater FTW!!! just had to throw that back out there!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:28 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Darkside Mojo
AWD beater FTW!!! just had to throw that back out there!
someone with a brain..
Old 10-14-2011, 03:28 PM
citizen_snips

the car is not the concern..ferrari or not..its a rwd sports car not meant to drive in the snow..i understand with snow tires it can be done yes..but its just straight up retarded..if u think ur ballin enough and want to buy a z then ur pockets should be deep enough to get a winter beater..i dont care how many of these idiotic threads pop up everyday there is always a few dumb asses thinking that the z is just fine for winter..its just stupidity winter tires or not..
Its really no different than driving a g35 or bmw in the winter (which lots of people do). 350's can be had for under $12k now, you certainly dont have to be "balling" to own one. If you're able to afford a second car, maintain it, and pay insurance, good for you. Not all 350 owners are in the same boat, and driving the car in snow with snow tires is not retarted. If you crash a 350z in snow with snow tires then you may be retarted.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Here is a picture of my winter “beater.”

Name:  IMG_0041.jpg
Views: 1451
Size:  52.4 KB

The car is over 8 years old and has less value than my other vehicle. What I like is that although the Nissan has seen a lot of winters, tons of road salt and winter road treatment chemicals; the car cleans up like new when I have it detailed. I use a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires and have winter floor mats that I swap out in the spring.

--Spike
Old 10-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Tjai350Z

hey guys, I'm new here, i dont mean to jack this thread but how do you guys get 17s on your 350z?

i went on tire rack and they gave me no option when i picked for a 17 inch winter package??

i do plan on getting a winter setup for my 2007 350z touring. but it seems like 18s are my only way to go according to tirerack.

and i know the narrower the tire, the better it will do in snow.

can anyone help me out?

and no, i havent gotten the car yet, but since the sky decided to crap snow like 2 months earlier than last year, i need to do research on the winter setup so i can make sure i can even get home from the dealership, which is 50 miles away. i need to know before the big snow storm hits!

thanks guys!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Ninjadaddy

OP, something to also consider; winter tires should last a couple of seasons. I bought Blizzak 265 35 18s rear and I will be going into my 3rd season on the same set. Milage is a variable.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Killabee350z

Question Is it Safe to....?

tire manufactures and sellers recommend having front and rear winter tires. I thought being the Z is rear wheel drive I only needed winter tires for rear. I need some advice from someone that isnt trying to sell tires. Can you chime in if you really know. Thanks in advance for any info Guys.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:18 PM
LaserRedB5

you wont be able to turn in the snow much if you cant get grip to the front tires... thus needing snow tires on all 4 corners.

also remember that the narrower the tire the better in the snow it is.. but apparently the VDC on the cars can be quirky depending on what size rear tires you get.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:23 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 10-30-2011, 07:06 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Killabee350z
tire manufactures and sellers recommend having front and rear winter tires. I thought being the Z is rear wheel drive I only needed winter tires for rear. I need some advice from someone that isnt trying to sell tires. Can you chime in if you really know. Thanks in advance for any info Guys.
If you would've wrote your question down, read it to yourself, you would have prevented the flames which are sure to come.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Killabee350z

Originally Posted by LaserRedB5
you wont be able to turn in the snow much if you cant get grip to the front tires... thus needing snow tires on all 4 corners.

also remember that the narrower the tire the better in the snow it is.. but apparently the VDC on the cars can be quirky depending on what size rear tires you get.
Thank you for your input because I really didnt know.guess I need to save up some funds for the front two.........

Quick Reply: Winter Wheel & Tire Setup Questions