Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 03:19 PM
RedlineAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Flipping Question

So I read over Jason's DIY thread about flipping tires

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
There has been some question on how to Rotate tires on the 350Z

(Or Any with Directional tires on a Staggered setup)

Forward:

On a vehicle with Negative Camber the Inside of the tire naturally wears more then the Outside. This technique will prolong the life of your tires.

When to do this?

Once the Inside of your tires being to show Tire Wear. If the Outside of your tires look brand new then do this just before the Inside of the tire reaches the Wear Indicator's. If the vehicle is driven in hard corners or on the track so the Outside shows signs of tire wear the sooner this technique is done, the more even the tire wear will be. Make sure to do this before the Wear Indicators are fully worn or the Tire Cord begins to show.

What will I gain from this?

If this technique is done the Tires will last almost Twice as long! (depending on driving habits of course)

How To:

STEP #1

Dismount Wheels from the Vehicle.

*For Explanation Purposes we have labeled the wheel & tire:

Front Left = #1
Front Right = #2
Rear Left = #3
Rear Right = #4

Image 1A displays the wheels before this technique is performed on the vehicle.

STEP #2

Put Wheel #1 on the Tire Mounting Machine. On 95% of wheels the face of the wheel points up (the out side of the wheel will be facing up) ((in cases of Reverse Mount wheels (Racing Hart etc) the wheel will be upside down / outside facing down))

Dismount the Tire from the wheel. Flip the Tire over so the Inside is now on top.

Mount the tire so what was the Inside is now on top and the Outside is now on the bottom.

Repeat for all wheels.

STEP #3 Time to put the wheels back on the car.

Since we flipped the tires they can not be put on where they were originally. The LEFT FRONT #1 will now have to be mounted on the RIGHT FRONT position. The original RIGHT FRONT #2 will be in the LEFT position.

Notice how what was the FRONT LEFT #1 wheel is going the Same Direction only on the FRONT RIGHT Position.

The illustrations display the Number Box on the INSIDE of the tire. The Arrow shows the Direction of the tire.

This technique can not be done with Asymmetrical Tires like the BF Goodrich KD TA.

This technique CAN be done with the OEM Tires to get more life out of them as well as popular tires like, TOYO T1S, POTENZA S0-3, BFG KDW 1 & 2, and other Directional Symmetrical Tire.

Sorry about the chicken scratch images, I do not have photoshop at home at the moment...
Now my question which is what are the dangers of flipping them like that? My inners on all 4 tires are worn, to the point were its just starting to show chord, the outsides look almost brand new. Would it be too dangerous to flip these? My car is lowered about 1.5 inches.

Also, another question...the guys at discount tire told me that getting a camber kit would cause the sidewalls to rub against the fender when hitting bumps in the road. The don't rub now, but would a camber kit really cause the tires to potentially rub? Thanks for the input guys. Heres a pic of the front and rear tires.

Front tire:

Rear tire:

Thanks for the input guys. I'm sorry if its a repeat question. I already bought some new tires, but wanted to see if it was worth squeezing some extra life out of these before I toss em

Last edited by RedlineAZ; 11-25-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:47 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Corded tires need to be replaced. End of story.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:47 PM
-Trav-

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you offered me a ride Id probably take the bus instead...

Theyre pretty much bald anyway, not worth the safety risk.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:51 PM
RedlineAZ

Thanks for the reply guys! I haven't driven the car since I noticed the chords were showing this week. It crept up on me pretty quickly, they didn't last too long. So if these would have been flipped just before the chords were showing it would've been good?

As for getting a camber kit, was the discount tire guy right when he said it would cause the tires to rub? I'm pretty low, but I don't know if adjusting the camber would cause a tire that doesn't rub now, to rub?
Old 11-25-2011, 04:27 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Once you get down to flat rubber, i.e. no more siping, that's the time to flip them.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:55 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

So your lowered 1.5 inches, what is the offset, width of wheel and tire size. Pics would also be nice, we can figure if you can remove some front camber. Same with the rear, you may be able to remove some there too.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:52 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I flip tires. Its smart. Will distribute wear and extend tread life.

When to flip? I flip it at half of tread life. Say life of tire is 25,000 miles, I flip at 12,500.

If you wait until after 12,500, as this example, its too late. Damage is already done.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:05 AM
RedlineAZ

Originally Posted by terrasmak
So your lowered 1.5 inches, what is the offset, width of wheel and tire size. Pics would also be nice, we can figure if you can remove some front camber. Same with the rear, you may be able to remove some there too.
Thanks for the help man!Here's a few pics to show you how they sit on the car. I believe they are 20x9 +32 and 20x10.5 +42 and I'm running 255/30/20 and 285/30/20 tires. I'm lowered on Tein springs, heres the pics of my wheels.

and heres some close ups of the rear to give you an idea of how much room there is. I am only going to do a camber kit in the rear.

Basically what the manager at discount tire said was that if I get a camber kit, when I carry people in the car or go over a dip/bump, that the quarter panels will rub the tread instead of the smooth sidewall, causing damage to my quarter panels. I know the wheels aren't that aggressive, so what do you guys think?

Last edited by RedlineAZ; 11-26-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:34 AM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude i got the same exact tires as you and im planning to flip them soon also. The inside of my rear are wearing almost near the "indicator" bar.. The outside aint so bad though, I can probably get it for another 10k miles out after flipping.

my front is wearing normal, no camber, but my rear is pretty negative. Im running 275 size front and 295 size rear. Get the SPL camber kit from vendor here, its cheap and easy to install. I have them.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:20 PM
RedlineAZ

Originally Posted by *ICE*
dude i got the same exact tires as you and im planning to flip them soon also. The inside of my rear are wearing almost near the "indicator" bar.. The outside aint so bad though, I can probably get it for another 10k miles out after flipping.

my front is wearing normal, no camber, but my rear is pretty negative. Im running 275 size front and 295 size rear. Get the SPL camber kit from vendor here, its cheap and easy to install. I have them.
Do the 350z/G35 camber kits fit the G37? I will flip em next time for sure before its too late.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:01 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You lowered the car and put wide wheels and tires on it. It looks cool.

Tire life is shiit. Fenders are damaged.

Cant have it both ways.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:09 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

You can remove some camber out of the rear, Discount tire guys are typically clueless. As the suspension moves you gain camber, typically that will help you from hitting the fender. In a case like your i would install camber arms, remove the rear springs , compress the suspension , set the camber where you clear, then take it for an alignment to set the toe. You can easily remove camber up front if you were to buy the proper arms.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Ak48z

The safe bet would be to get camber arms either way.... Then adjust them as much as you can without rubbing... might take a few tries... or a bunch of friends to sit on the back to see where the fenders sit under compression.

From the pictures it seems like you have plenty of room to correct your camber issue.