Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tire help! Hankook? Falkens? for stock rears? Or other??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 04:36 PM
stevek247

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire help! Hankook? Falkens? for stock rears? Or other??

Currently running Hankook ventus v4 ES H105 in the rears (245/45/18) but they're just about bald now. Put in about 18k miles at least on em (maybe more cause I bought the car used).

I'm looking for a balance of some performance and treadlife and ride comfort. Not really a drag racer, just looking for a commuter tires that'll last me awhile.

How do the Falken ZE912 compare to these? I'm either deciding on the same Hankook's or switchin to the 912 or even thinking the Hankook v12. Looking for something in the $150 a tire price range. This is just for the rears.

Any other suggestions within that range?

I can get the Ventus v4 for $140 and the ZE912 for about $152.

Thanks guys
Old 02-14-2012, 05:11 PM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

I bought the Hankook Ventus V12s a little over a year ago and they have served me well. For the price, they are a great tire. Good overall performance, they are quiet, and affordable. On the downside, it is a summer only tire so if you experience colder weather/snow I would HIGHLY advise you to go with an all-season, along with the fact that they have very soft/gummy sidewalls. If you live in a warmer area like me and can get away with summer tires year round, I think they'd be a good choice.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:16 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hankook V-12'S.Cannot beat e'm for the price.
I personally don't like to mix tire brands on a car.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:39 PM
supraturboman

The Falken tires are absolute junk. I would not put them on anything. Some of the 912 line offers a 65,000 mile tread life warranty. Well, simply put that's not going to happen. I am a service manager at a shop, and that is one tire that we offer. So, all in all go with the Ventus V4.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:50 PM
pbn85

My v12's were getting worn in the front so I replaced them with falken 912's last week. Don't see how they're "junk", as I've had them on my last maxima and they lasted 50k miles. That's why I got them for the Z. Haven't had a chance to try these out in the rain or snow yet though.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:04 PM
supraturboman

The dry pavement traction is ok. Now the rain and snow is the horrible part. Have you pushed your car hard through turns yet? They tend to leave alot to be desired.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

BFgoodrich KDWs all the way.
I have learned to not skimp out on tires. Almost all the Falkens are good tires but they are a bit on the soft side, they heat up quick. Hankook v12s are good for the price. I was a tire installer/ seller for 7 years, alot of how long the tire lasts depends on how often they heat up. When I used to live in Miami I would kill tires in the Atima due to the constant driving (40-60 miles daily commute work and school) now Im in orlando working fulltime doing 3D and my jobs 3 miles from my house, hell everything's 3 miles from my house = Tires dont warm up = almost no wear.

Dont skimp out on Tires, especially on a Z.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:32 PM
pbn85

Originally Posted by supraturboman
The dry pavement traction is ok. Now the rain and snow is the horrible part. Have you pushed your car hard through turns yet? They tend to leave alot to be desired.
I don't drive aggressive with this car at all, so I guess for my application these should feel like the v12's. They were great in the rain when I had them on my maxima, so I'd expect the same on the Z. There are definitely better options out there, but for a commuting tire and for the OP's needs, I think the 912's would be okay.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This tire is rated 540. Should give you superior miles.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:10 AM
n8dog11914

I have the Extreme Contact DW tires. They are the 'more' high performance' version of the DWS tires below. They have excellent ride quality and the grip is nice as well. It just depends on what you honestly will be using the car for everyday.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 AM
MDaniel22

Arent't the Falken 912's more a passenger tire? From experience I've used the Falken 452's and I like them, but they are a soft tire and give me no where near the amount of miles I'd like to get. I'm going with something else next time.

I put the Falken 502's on my wifes Celica hoping they would last longer and they did not. I switched her car to Nitto Neo Gen's over a year ago and they have been amazing both ride and tread life.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VMRWheels
I bought the Hankook Ventus V12s a little over a year ago and they have served me well. For the price, they are a great tire. Good overall performance, they are quiet, and affordable. On the downside, it is a summer only tire so if you experience colder weather/snow I would HIGHLY advise you to go with an all-season, along with the fact that they have very soft/gummy sidewalls. If you live in a warmer area like me and can get away with summer tires year round, I think they'd be a good choice.
This^

I went with Hankook and they have been amazing. Great traction, quiet, and decent ride quality. Great pricing too.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:29 AM
stevek247

Originally Posted by davidv

This tire is rated 540. Should give you superior miles.
not bad at all... i'll be looking into this one as well as my other 2...
Old 02-15-2012, 11:24 AM
MantisMan

This is good news for me since I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a couple V12s. Never ran Hankooks on any of my vehicles so I'm hoping for some decent performance.

Ironicly....I just put a pair of the DynaPro ATM RF10 on my truck this morning so the ones for the Z won't technical be my first Hankooks
Old 02-15-2012, 11:25 AM
neal@tirerack
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Not the best idea to mix the a/s tires you have existing on the car with any of the summer options or different brands. I'd buy two of what you have now or a full set of others so front/rear matches.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:53 AM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MantisMan
This is good news for me since I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a couple V12s. Never ran Hankooks on any of my vehicles so I'm hoping for some decent performance.

Ironicly....I just put a pair of the DynaPro ATM RF10 on my truck this morning so the ones for the Z won't technical be my first Hankooks
For most people, the Hankook Ventus V12s will get the job done at a fair price. When they're pushed hard, they leave a bit to be desired, however for their price point they're great.

Those in search of a more performance oriented tire, check out Bridgestone RE-11s, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, or Hankook R-S3s.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:14 PM
MantisMan

For most people, the Hankook Ventus V12s will get the job done at a fair price. When they're pushed hard, they leave a bit to be desired, however for their price point they're great.

Those in search of a more performance oriented tire, check out Bridgestone RE-11s, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, or Hankook R-S3s.
Seems about what I'm looking for.......the rears were shot when I got the car last summer but the fronts are still in good shape so I was just wanting something decent on there that would be safer than rolling on bald tires.

As mentioned above, I'm not a big fan either of mixing/matching tires sets so I'll probably be in the market for a full set of performance oriented tires (like the ones you mentioned) around this time next year.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:26 PM
stevek247

Ran into this old thread I posted a year ago while looking for new tires again...

I got the Hankook v12's feb 2012 and I'm shopping for another pair already! Lasted about 15k miles I guess.