Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Long lasting tires with decent performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:17 AM
ninor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long lasting tires with decent performance

I currently have BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 tires on my 08 that I replaced OEM Potenzas at 17k miles. I am at 45k miles now so I got 28k miles out of BFGoodrich's and I need a new set of rears now as middle of the tire is worn down to the wires.

What decent performance tires would you guys recommend that can last a long time? I'm on a budget with buying my first house few months ago so I need something to last me for a good time. I was looking at
Continental ExtremeContact DWS on TireRack and they seem to have mostly good ratings.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Bret86944

Not sure if you plan on tracking your car but high performance all seasons are going to give you longer lasting tires. If you stay with a summer tire your hands are kind of tied.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:04 AM
F34RL355
Banned

try the Hankook Ventus v12s i like em
Old 07-05-2012, 10:10 AM
kickstan

I put on 275/35 19 Conti DWS on my 08 and absolutely love them, tire rating is long wearing, I had Copnti sport 3 summer tires and found they wore out real fast and it's only a daily driver and not abused.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:11 AM
thespottedcow

i like the evo v12s also, cheap, should get similar wear as the kdws.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:25 AM
ninor

Originally Posted by Bret86944
Not sure if you plan on tracking your car but high performance all seasons are going to give you longer lasting tires. If you stay with a summer tire your hands are kind of tied.
I don't track and yea I know that all season tires last longer than summer.. that's pretty common knowledge.. lol

Originally Posted by kickstan
I put on 275/35 19 Conti DWS on my 08 and absolutely love them, tire rating is long wearing, I had Copnti sport 3 summer tires and found they wore out real fast and it's only a daily driver and not abused.
How long are they lasting you so far?

Originally Posted by thespottedcow
i like the evo v12s also, cheap, should get similar wear as the kdws.
Cool. Thanks! You think they can last 25-30k with normal daily driving and some spirited cornering every now and then?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Well Federals are cheap as fawk but i hear they just don't wear and last a long time. But these will be a step down from ur current setup.. I'd stay away from Bridgestone for sure and look into Goodyears
Old 07-05-2012, 11:05 AM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

The Continental DWSes should give you good mileage, but they probably won't perform like a dedicated summer will. Hankook Ventus V12s are great bang for the buck tires, but they're much softer and will wear out quicker.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:13 AM
thespottedcow

Originally Posted by ninor
I don't track and yea I know that all season tires last longer than summer.. that's pretty common knowledge.. lol

How long are they lasting you so far?

Cool. Thanks! You think they can last 25-30k with normal daily driving and some spirited cornering every now and then?

I only got 12k miles out of my kdws, and Im on pace for the same with my hankooks, but I dont exactly baby them, too many canyons nearby. So I would guess if you drive the same as you did on your kdws, the hankooks should be similar in mileage, and if I recall they are like 20$ cheaper a tire, so if they wear out 5k miles sooner youre still not breaking the bank. Hope that helps.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:53 AM
ninor

Originally Posted by VMRWheels
The Continental DWSes should give you good mileage, but they probably won't perform like a dedicated summer will. Hankook Ventus V12s are great bang for the buck tires, but they're much softer and will wear out quicker.
Thanks. How quickly tho? When switching from stock Potenzas to BFG KDW 2, my performance dropped significantly (as I expected) and I'm wondering how much would performance drop by getting DWS.

Originally Posted by thespottedcow
I only got 12k miles out of my kdws, and Im on pace for the same with my hankooks, but I dont exactly baby them, too many canyons nearby. So I would guess if you drive the same as you did on your kdws, the hankooks should be similar in mileage, and if I recall they are like 20$ cheaper a tire, so if they wear out 5k miles sooner youre still not breaking the bank. Hope that helps.
Only 12k? Holy crap.. I don't really baby my tires either but only curves I get here in FL are highway onramps so that might explain how I got 28k out of KDWs..

I would be ok with getting 25-30k out of my next set of tires while not dropping performance from BFG KDW 2.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:32 PM
BTarb24

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

keep in mind that if you're down to the wires on your current tires then you really didn't get 28k out of them. You really got more like 20-22k and then foolishly kept driving on bad tires.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:47 PM
fiteallison

I had Copnti sport 3 summer tires and found they wore out real fast and it's only a daily driver and not abused.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:15 PM
ninor

Originally Posted by BTarb24
keep in mind that if you're down to the wires on your current tires then you really didn't get 28k out of them. You really got more like 20-22k and then foolishly kept driving on bad tires.
Good point. That's what the shop said and I lightly touched down the middle and noticed it was bald, but I don't think it was really down to the wires.. I was in my work clothes so I didn't get down and dirty to check it out. My outside of the tires have plenty of thread tho.. tires go one way so they were never rotated.. maybe that's why.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me know if such a tire exists.

I used Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Positions on my Z. They performed very well, while not being too soft. Harder sidewall to reduce flex, and I got 8k out of them before I sold the car. The tread was still at a good 75% or so. This was with only a few really hard miles, though.

Now, I use Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs on the GTR. I wouldn't recommend these for anything other than track time.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:26 PM
BTarb24

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Good point. That's what the shop said and I lightly touched down the middle and noticed it was bald, but I don't think it was really down to the wires.. I was in my work clothes so I didn't get down and dirty to check it out. My outside of the tires have plenty of thread tho.. tires go one way so they were never rotated.. maybe that's why.
not that it matters much now but usually if they wear down the center and the edges have plenty of tread left it means that they were over-inflated.

if both edges wear down and the center had plenty then they're under-inflated.

and if only one edge is worn then it's alignment. (for regular street driving).
Old 07-05-2012, 08:19 PM
ninor

Originally Posted by Spork
Let me know if such a tire exists.

I used Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Positions on my Z. They performed very well, while not being too soft. Harder sidewall to reduce flex, and I got 8k out of them before I sold the car. The tread was still at a good 75% or so. This was with only a few really hard miles, though.

Now, I use Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs on the GTR. I wouldn't recommend these for anything other than track time.
Lol.. I guess I'm just dreaming then! I'll have to look up those Potenzas, that sounds like a decent mileage on them.

Yeaaa I don't track at all so no need for anything like that lol

Originally Posted by BTarb24
not that it matters much now but usually if they wear down the center and the edges have plenty of tread left it means that they were over-inflated.

if both edges wear down and the center had plenty then they're under-inflated.

and if only one edge is worn then it's alignment. (for regular street driving).
I'll have to check if inside edge is worn out as much as the center, but I had my tires at 35psi which I don't think is over or underinflated.. I could be wrong tho :X

I was getting alignment done every 6 months or so.. I still have 3 year alignment plan from a local car shop.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

KDW's may last for a very long time but the road noise is unbearable

I have had a great experience with Potenzas and will be sticking with them going forward
Old 07-05-2012, 10:57 PM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You could try the General G-Max AS-03, they replaced the Exclaim UHP, which I used to have awhile back. They are not a track tire and or drag tire but as far as wet traction and a little spirited driving they're pretty good. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=G-MAX+AS-03 BTW they're cheap too

Last edited by silverbullet_Z; 07-05-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:32 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Before buying tires take a look at these test results: https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...ml#post3754539

Last edited by davidv; 07-06-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:39 AM
JohnG202

Originally Posted by silverbullet_Z
You could try the General G-Max AS-03, they replaced the Exclaim UHP, which I used to have awhile back. They are not a track tire and or drag tire but as far as wet traction and a little spirited driving they're pretty good. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=G-MAX+AS-03 BTW they're cheap too

I put G-Max's on last year because I was sick of putting new tires on every 10k miles (Dunlop Z1 Star specs). The G-Max's definitely didn't have the same response as the Dunlops but that was to be expected. They are great when it's wet out. They are getting a bit louder now that they have some miles on them but still not as loud as the Dunlops. For an all season tire, I'd put them on again.

Quick Reply: Long lasting tires with decent performance