Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

1pc. or multi-piece wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 08:10 AM
350zguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1pc. or multi-piece wheel

Since I'm relatively new to the 350z I was wondering if there was a good reason as to why everyone chooses a multi-piece wheel instead of the 1pc. wheel when going aftermarket. Is it because of the width that one can get when going with a multi-piece? The reason I'm asking is because I'm wanting to get some aftermarket wheels and I wanted to get some answers on this before I buy. Thanks
Old 01-08-2004, 08:35 AM
islandsnow

i bought a supposedly multi-piece wheel because i thought if i ever bent the rim, i can just buy the outer part and re-assemble the whole thing. I like how multi-piece rims look too with the bolts on the center hub attaching it to the rim. Even though mine is repairable, it's also a multi-piece wheel that is welded. A true multi-piece wheel is probably a pain to maintain too, probably have to make sure all bolts are torqued and stuff like that. So even though some of the newer rims say multi-piece they really aren't in the true sense that you can buy an outer rim pieces and the center hub that all bolts together. So with that said, mine is like a single piece rim even though the construction was multi-piece. How do i know? I called the distributor when i curb scratched the rim and wanted to replace just the outer, they said it isn't worth it to unweld it and repair it again for a scratched rim.
So i guess it really depends what you like, if you like the multi-piece rim look go for it, but i bet it'll be like mine, welded probably for more strength. So if you find a single piece rim that you like buy it, it will save you money.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Audito350Z

Tirerack has good info that will get you started...
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/wheeltech.htm

True two- and three-piece wheels offer the manufacturer flexibility in sizing the wheels. They can offer fitments for any vehicle and wil build the wheels specifically to that application.

You can also order custom offsets and backspacing and widths.

Also, multi-piece wheels tend to be stronger since the center section is typically a forged piece.

There is no user-defined maintenance on multi-peice wheels... you do not have to worry about the torque of the fasteners, for one thing. If you damage the rim, you can send it back to the manufacturer where they will remove the center section and replace the rim. This is not something you can or should do yourself. Same if you damage the center section... the manufacturer can disassemble the wheel and refinish the center section. This is usually a lot cheaper than buying a new wheel... expecially considering most multi-piece wheels like Fikse, Kinesis, HRE and Compomotive can run $1,000 or more PER WHEEL.

One-piece wheels are usually cast aluminum, although some are forged. The forged are stronger, but more expensive. Manufactures will make various diameters and widths and PCDs, but the centerbore is not uniqie to the application. In this case, you must run hub-centering rings to make the wheel fit your car.

It comes down to budget and user-preference....

Hope this helps.

PeteH
Old 01-08-2004, 11:29 AM
350zguy

Thanks alot for the info. This should be very helpful when it comes time for me to get new wheels.