Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

More than ever, I am very happy I selected HRE wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 07:54 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by R1Rider
Since iForged was brought up, I wanted to add my .02, so unless you live within reasonable driving distance to go down and complain to them, don't buy from them. I've had to fix an air leak and re-finish the clear coat on my own. Vince kept blaming the installer and did not seem too concerned to send me any info to return and repair them at no charge to me. When you can spray the clear off with the pressure of a garden hose, it is not the tire installer's fault. Did not have a problem with the clear coat until 2-3 weeks after tire install. Will be getting some GT-C's or GramLights in the spring and make the iForged my winter wheels. Maybe you can say I was not persistant/patient enough with them, but the fact is that they sold me crap and did not seem too concerned with fixing the problem(s) when I contacted them. Enough of my bitchin'. Those with iForged and no problems, consider it luck.

Did not mean to jack your thread. I'm sorry.
when did you buy your wheels???
Old 01-15-2004, 08:09 PM
R1Rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got in on the group buy at the end of last Jan or Feb. I'll give them a little credit. They e-mailed me the torque specs for the bolts that hold the center to the rim pieces.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:32 PM
rodH

Got in on the group buy at the end of last Jan or Feb. I'll give them a little credit. They e-mailed me the torque specs for the bolts that hold the center to the rim pieces.
sounds like you had the old crappy painters that did iForged and some HRE wheels, I am surprised you had such a hard time getting them to fix them on thier dime, Both Vince and Jose where very willing to fix my wheels. Sorry to hear that.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:41 PM
R1Rider

Live and learn, as the saying goes. Hey, iForged could ship me 4 new wheels with return shipping labels that I could send the crappy one's I have back to them and I might become a satisfied customer. I'm really dreaming on that one.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:17 PM
rodH

Live and learn, as the saying goes. Hey, iForged could ship me 4 new wheels with return shipping labels that I could send the crappy one's I have back to them and I might become a satisfied customer. I'm really dreaming on that one.
have you tried contacting them lately???
Old 01-16-2004, 05:47 AM
2003z

I wish I went with HRE. I ordered a replacement wheel from iforged on 10/31 and still haven't seen it. They told me a couple weeks ago that it was sent back to the old painter, not the new one, and that it would be done, BUT, they were moving, so don't know when they will get around to shipping it.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:00 AM
DURSO

Had iForged...Got money back and went with HRE. Best money I have spent on my car.

Seems like 'rodh' is the only one on this board that likes iForged? He lives close to them, and has the time to stay on them, and it sounds like he has gotten them to act on his behalf.

As earlier stated in this thread, if you dont live close to them, you will have problems.

I tried to warn everyone last year about iForged and their clearcoat problems. All I can say is I told you so.

HRE is clearly the winner of this war. Hands down.
Attached Thumbnails More than ever, I am very happy I selected HRE wheels!-12l.jpg  
Old 01-16-2004, 06:25 AM
R1Rider

Called them several times the first 30 days I had the wheels. Got nothing but crap about my installer messing them up from them. E-mailed both Vince and customer service. Was told I could ship them back (at my expense) and they would evaluate the problem and charge me accordingly. I argued that most of the clear had fallen off all 4 of the wheels, and the right front leaked air and that there is nothing to evaluate. I never received any return shipment information and I sure wasn't going to just stick them in boxes and ship them to iForged without any kind of documention. I spent over 2K on these things and I'm not giving another cent to iForged. Late summer, I sent an e-mail to their tech support asking the recommended torque for bolts and the type of silicone used to seal the peices together. I got that info back quickly and fixed the air leak my self. I've also stripped the clear off of them. What didn't come off with the garden hose (mainly around the bolts), came of with high pressure air. Just takes a little extra cleaning to keep them looking good. I get nothing but compliments on my car, so the lack of clear coat goes un-noticeable to 98% of the people that look at them. So, to sum it up, I'm done with iForged, unless they remember me and my issues and ship me 4 new wheels and include return info to ship back what I have.

And back to the original thread topic: HRE's look great, anyone that got them made a wise choice, wish I'd forked out the extra cash and got them to begin with and I would not be talking about all of this iForged crap.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:29 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by DURSO
Had iForged...Got money back and went with HRE. Best money I have spent on my car.

Seems like 'rodh' is the only one on this board that likes iForged? He lives close to them, and has the time to stay on them, and it sounds like he has gotten them to act on his behalf.

As earlier stated in this thread, if you dont live close to them, you will have problems.

I tried to warn everyone last year about iForged and their clearcoat problems. All I can say is I told you so.

HRE is clearly the winner of this war. Hands down.
DURSO:

You are the only person on this forum that has had both HRE and iforged. Could you be more specific in your opinion why they are HRE is the better choice betwen the two? Is it service, quailty of the wheel, ???? I know you paid much more for the HRE's.

When I looked at RodH's wheels, they were beautiful so IMO, iforged do look good. I am just asking for others that might be debating between buying one or the other in the future. I have HRE's and had great service so of course I am happy.

Jeff - zland
Old 01-16-2004, 07:08 AM
DURSO

Originally posted by zland
DURSO:

You are the only person on this forum that has had both HRE and iforged. Could you be more specific in your opinion why they are HRE is the better choice betwen the two? Is it service, quailty of the wheel, ???? I know you paid much more for the HRE's.

When I looked at RodH's wheels, they were beautiful so IMO, iforged do look good. I am just asking for others that might be debating between buying one or the other in the future. I have HRE's and had great service so of course I am happy.

Jeff - zland
From a thread a while back....IForged GroupBuy #1 - Happy with the order process? Started by mcduck on 4-15-03.

At first glance, and after waiting 8 weeks for my wheels from iForged they did look beautifull. I was just stoked to finally have something in my hands after the crappy service, attitude, BEING HUNG UP ON BY VINCE, and having paid in full the day I ordered (against iForged own Terms and Conditions). I had made 2 payments on my credit card before I even took delivery of the product. Once I recieved the product, there was 2 center caps that were reverse imaged, so I know there was no QA done on them before they shipped. I have the emails to and from Vince to prove all of this. I am sure that other members frustration (lack of return of Phone calls, Direct emails, 14 weeks for delivery!) is a tell all that iForged is working on a shoestring budget, and is understaffed to provide a decent product, or customer service. Why else would they need to charge in full upon the order date???? Probably to buy the supplies to get the orders started, or to make payroll???
Vince was not assisting in the least to help expedite my 4th wheel that was lost in shippment (not iForged fault). I just fell to the back of the list, and he could not/would not commit to finish date. Per Vince's own words, he told me that they were having problems with their painter, and he did not know what he was going to do about getting it resolved. He said that the painter screwed up 120 centers. He never did send me out the replacement caps for the reverse imaged ones either. After closer inspection of the 3 wheels I did get, you could visibly see that the clearcoat was peeling off. If you accept that as quality, then that is your mess. I didnt feel like waiting another 14 weeks to have them re-painted. I could build a whole car faster than that.
After seeing HRE's, next to iForged, there is a definite quality issue. iForged is just not in the same arena as HRE, of course there is a price difference as well. That price difference buys you peace of mind in knowing that you will be treated like you are spending alot of money (by name), not like a #. HRE has never hung up on me, not even once. Also, it buys quality, and whether you are spending 3 or 5 grand, it is the end result that makes or breaks companies. iForged is going to have to step up if they intend on being a competior to HRE. Plain and simple. You get what you pay for!
If you find it beneficial to defend a company with a bad reputation for customer service, and quality, more power to you. It is a 'buyer beware' scenario. So if you are willing to gamble, and accept mediocrity in your final product, then iForged is the place for you. Check other forums (Audi,BMW,Mercedes) for how reputable iForged really is. You may be surprised to find out that these bazarre bussiness antics by iForged are not just going on with 350z'ers.
If you dig up any dirt on HRE's customer service/Quality....Let me know.
P.S. you will probably find most of the info. on HRE on forums such as Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, or any other highline car manufaturer.
Tony
Old 01-16-2004, 07:53 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Tony/DURSO:

Maybe the reason for getting a lot of money up front is they know they will not keep their promises on when they will get done and if they have your money up front, they know it will be hard for you to get it back/refund?

As they say, possession is 99% of the law. Once they got your money, maybe they are happy and it is you that has the problem. Anyways, it makes me sad to know some consumers are not happy but there are some that are happy.

Jeff - zland
Old 01-16-2004, 12:45 PM
2003z

My only issue with iforged is customer service, not the quality. It would have been worth the extra money for HRE to not have the headache.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:29 PM
rodH

Originally posted by 2003z
My only issue with iforged is customer service, not the quality. It would have been worth the extra money for HRE to not have the headache.
ya, it isn't a quality issue, I do know that. Yes, there where some clearcoat issues, but from the sound of some of the original posts on this thread, HRE has had a few of them also. I once learned something in grad school (Physical Therapy). They say that the more you get along with your patients and make them like you the less chance you will get a mal-practice law suit, even if you do do somehting wrong. I think this may apply here, HRE is not perfect either, but they have had great customer service, that seems to make a difference.

I do know that some changes have been made recently with iforged in how things are handled, who handles them, etc....Frankly, I don't have a problem with them at all, Vince always remembers who I am and takes time out to talk with me. I am not sure why I seem to be the only one to be getting special service??? is it because people that get great service are a little less likely say things (customers are always more willing to complain VS compliment), but I am sure there are some valid arguements.

On the quality issue, MY best freind was getting his graduate degree in Metalergy (sp?), I spent a TON of time with him using CAD and CAM machines as well as CNC machines. I can tell you iForged uses 1st rate stuff and the materials they use are good as well. I just hope they truly do have the service thing turned around.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:53 AM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

Well, here I go again. Short history first. Got HREs took them to discount tire to have tires and tps/bands mounted. Three of the bands let loose, 1 tps broken. Sent them directly to HRE. THey were great, fixed mounted replaced the broken sensor. This was 3 mos and 800 miles ago.

Now last week I go to get an oil change and I go under to look for tire wear and F*********!!!!! The drivers side front and back wheels have something rattling around inside.....hmmm wonder what that could be.

I called HRE and they were not quite as nice this time. They said to ship it to them and they will check it out. He said if it's their fault that they would take care of it but he didn't see how it could be their fault because there are about 1000 tires with the banding system and I seem to be the only one with the problem. I asked how I may have done something wrong since I SENT THEM TO YOU AND YOU DID ALL THE WORK WITH YOUR PARTS!!!
He said that he didn't know. He thought maybe the stem broke off the sensor and came loose or something.

Well I am waiting to hear from them. Anyone care to speculate the outcome?

Also If the stem broke off that would have to be due to the way it was mounted and therefore HREs responsibility wouldn't it?

I need a beer...or three..........
Old 03-06-2004, 10:01 AM
MSOsr

I had my TPSs fall off a few times just using the bands. I had Discount Tire mount them with the bznya/plywood clip method several weeks ago and everything has worked perfectly since.
{knocking on wood}
Old 03-06-2004, 12:31 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

Wow same rims too. i wonder if there is something to that. What is the bznya/plywood clip method? How much did it cost to due? Do they guarantee their work?
Old 03-06-2004, 04:48 PM
MSOsr

Look here: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....0&pagenumber=1

I had Discount do mine the way that Jak suggested on pg. 3 of the thread. You need the bands and TPSs, which you already have. You also need the plywood clips (I think I got 7/16" clips from Home Depot -- only need 4, but they come in a bag of 50 for less than $3) and, in my case, a hair dryer (to heat the wheel so the double sided tape Jak mentioned sticks to the wheel -- it was chilly in FL the morning they did mine). Shouldn't charge you more than $100-$150 to do all 4.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:31 AM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

Well I heard back from HRE. They said the banding failed. They don't know why. They are working on a fix and I sent them the link with the plywood clips to look at. Only problem is Discount Tire here in Albuquerque won't touch this type of job. HRE said they will try to talk to Discount about doing the work. We'll see. Until then, still no Z to drive.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:42 AM
MSOsr

Isn't it nice that HRE is taking the bull by the horn and doing something about the problem? I've been totally impressed with their attitude during my ownership experience.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:25 AM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

If only Nissan were as good.

Quick Reply: More than ever, I am very happy I selected HRE wheels!