Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

More than ever, I am very happy I selected HRE wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 07:00 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default More than ever, I am very happy I selected HRE wheels!

I feel one of the greatest purposes of this websites like my350Z is to share information among Z owners.

There are a number of wonderful wheels to choose from. Each Z owner selects a wheel based upon looks, weight, size, strength, fit, cost, and reputation of the company/service.

After 4 months of research on wheels, I purchased HRE wheels. When I first began research wheels, I thought HRE wheels were too expensive. They do cost a lot of money (too much for many) but with that cost you get things in return. Each customer has to decide if the cost for a high end wheel is worth it to them.

After approximately one year of owning my HRE wheels, here is why I am personal happy I bought them:

1. Fitment: Even though I did the research and knew offsets, I did not need to worry about those issues when purchasing my HRE wheels. HRE does custom fitment to each car. Yes, each car and each issue of that car is considered and built accordingly. In other words, you tell them the size tire you want to use and if you are upgrading to a larger brake system. If you are going to lower the car, that is adjusted for by them. They will select the offset for you based on those issues. Because it is a 3-piece wheel, they can adjust to the fit so it is perfect. What this gives you is the perfect fit for your needs. Like Burger King, you “have it your way”.
2. Quality you can count on: I did have two wheels that had a small blemishes on the clear coat of the brushed finish. I took it to HRE, THEY felt it was unacceptable. I did not have to be pushy to get service. They took back all 4 wheels, refinished all of them and fixed (buffed out) 2 lips I had scratched when parking (my error). The bottom line is I just got back all 4 wheels that have been completely refinished and fixed so they are like brand new. Cost = $0. They never argued or questioned anything. They never made me feel like I did something wrong when I had a concern. I was treated like a valued customer and they met and exceeded my needs.
3. Ease or ordering, ease of owning: The entire purchasing process was a joy. They offered expertise beyond my expectation. When I did have a problem, they fixed my problem. Why can’t other companies remember to treat customers like this?

I love a lot of different wheels. I know many of you have other wheels and are happy with your purchases. I just wanted to share my experience. Sometimes it seems like I read so many negative posts regarding the sales and/or service of a product they purchased. I just felt like it would be nice for someone to express their happiness with a product they purchased.

HRE wheels are not the lightest or the cheapest thus they are not for everyone. They are a very high quality 3-piece wheel and they have good customer service. You pay for what you get and sadly, for some, you get what you paid for.

Jeff - zland
Old 01-13-2004, 07:08 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Old 01-13-2004, 07:19 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

ok, by request, pics....

Last edited by zland; 06-05-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:22 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

I can try, but as with all nice wheels, the picture does not capture the machined quaility of a hand built wheel.

Last edited by zland; 06-05-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:34 PM
ZZtopp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful wheels! If it wasn't for Volks, I would have bought HRE's.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:16 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

ZZtop: No arguement from me. Those Volks are beautiful as well. Volks do it as well as anyone for that segment of the wheel market. HRE's likewise.

Jeff - zland
Old 01-13-2004, 08:20 PM
rodH

Jeff, good stuff. I loved your wheels when I saw them as well. HRE does a great job.

I got a similar story from a different company. I have had a small piece about the size of 1/2 of a picky nail that chipped off my wheels. I called Vince at iFORGED and he said he would fix them no problem, and that the guys (original) who painted them would fix them. I went over to have it fixed (it wasn't totally chipped off but just a little delaminated). I took it to the original painters and they really gave me a hassle, I got vince on the phone and he said "let me talk to them", 1 min later the guy was on his hands and knees fixing them. I asked Vince what happens if it happens again, and he said to not worry I will be taken care of. btw, HRE used to get some of thier wheels painted by these same guys, I wonder if yours (jeff) where painted there as well??

Well, now the piece totally chipped off, it was ONLY on one wheel (remember). I call Vince and tell him and I go in to see him, he hooks me up with Jose (shop manager) and Jose said, "bring them in when you can (they were still on the car) and we will re-finish and re-clearcoat the rims at NO charge, no problem. Today I finally got to bring them in (riding stockers now, it sucks). It is so nice to know that Vince has gone with teh SAME painters (speedway) as HRE and Kenises. These painters are supposed to be amazing and I am soooo stoked.

iForged has now moved into a MUCH bigger facility (MUCH), the company is growing big time and now they have the painting issues worked out and the ETAs are down. Sounds like people are much happier now. I have to be honest I was very disappointed that my wheel chipped, but it is nice that they changed painters and are headed in the right direction. FOr all those that have had bad service with Vince in the past, I bet if you were to contact those guys now you'd think totally different of the company.

(ZZtopp, please no flames here bro)
Old 01-13-2004, 08:21 PM
rodH

Originally posted by zland
ZZtop: No arguement from me. Those Volks are beautiful as well. Volks do it as well as anyone for that segment of the wheel market. HRE's likewise.

Jeff - zland
agree, Volks are great, my second choice (Volk GT-C)
Old 01-13-2004, 08:30 PM
failsafe
....for your health

I've been looking at the HRE's if/when I decide to replace my Volks. My buddy owns a wheel shop and it's very tempting ever time I stop by and see the HRE wheel display. Thanks for the review Jeff.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:35 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

RodH:

I am happy you are getting the service you deserve. For those that have not seen RodH's iforged's they are nice. We had our wheels side by side and his are sweet.

There has been many negative posts about iforged and to be honest, it kept me from getting them. Thank goodness they are turning around based on Rod's story.

Rod, I just went through having to drive on stock rubber while mine were getting fixed. I could not believe how much I missed my wheels. I honestly did not drive it much. I got a 4x4 truck I drove instead just so I would not get depressed. Our wheels transform the car so much, I just could not get into the stock set up after having them. In addtion, I could not believe how much nicer the bigger rubber on those toyo's felt.

Oddly enough, when I first put on the aftermarket wheels, I did not notice as big a difference in handling. Now, experincing stock seems like a giant step backwards. Are you expereincing the same thing Rod?

Jeff - zland
Old 01-13-2004, 09:21 PM
J Ritt

Thumbs up

HRE is top notch. They have some beautiful and well-made wheels!
Old 01-13-2004, 09:50 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

J Ritt:

When are you going to put some StopTech brakes on your Z? It seems like the thing to do considering your job...
Old 01-13-2004, 10:11 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

I also have HRE and love them. I had a problem with the clearcoat on one. Get this, I also had a problem with the tire pressure sensors. (not HRE's) fault. Discount mounted them and three of them flew off on a road trip. I had them removed.

Here's the cool part. I talked to HRE and the service was AMAZING. I think i talked to Dave. He said they would take care of it since i didn't trust anyone here to mount them. He sent me boxes and all the stuff to pack them up. I received them in 2 days. I had to take off the wheels and pack them (which sucked a little) I sent them to HRE. They paid for shipping. 140.00. Worst part is driving around on the stock tires and rims after getting used to the HRE with Toyos.

HRE said that there was something wrong with the clearcoat and it should not have peeled. He didn't want to take a chance that the other wheels may have a problem because they were all done at the same time.

Here's what they did. Took of my tires. Had them inspected by Toyo rep to make sure the sensors didn't do any damage when they came off. Refinished, polished and clearcoated All the wheels to make sure they were perfect. Mounted the TPS correctly. Also one of the TPS's was broken. They replaced it free. They remounted and balanced the tires. Shipped them back at no charge.

It was a pain to be without them for almost 2 weeks. They did a great job and everything is perfect now.

I think the extra money you pay for HRE is for peace of mind. Knowing that you are buying a quality product, more importantly, that you are dealing with Quality People.

I almost forgot to mention that the look F'in HOT!
Attached Thumbnails More than ever, I am very happy I selected HRE wheels!-copy-2-of-hre-sm-front.jpg  
Old 01-14-2004, 04:06 AM
zeroday

i'm not trying to start anything by posting these links but i felt a duty to inform members here what can happen if they buy from iforged. obviously not all people that buy from them have problems but it seems that when there is a problem they don't handle it well at all. it sickened me to read this stuff:

http://www.is300.net/modules.php?nam...ght=#133819955

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...hreadid=100714
Old 01-14-2004, 05:19 AM
Audito350Z

About two years ago I was looking at putting a set of HRE 446 on my Audi A4. I called HRE and spoke with Bob for almost 45 minutes. In the end, I mentioned that I'd be near their facility on business and Bob offered to take me on a tour of the facility if I were to visit.

I was unable to make it out there for the tour, but I have always held HRE in high regard because of their attitude and professionalism and high quality product.

Maybe a set of HREs are in order for the 350Z

PeteH
Old 01-14-2004, 05:47 AM
MSOsr

My experience with HRE has been wonderful. Although I bought my wheels from a former poster on this site, they knew the wheels were almost brand new and have treated me like I ordered them from HRE.

Bob at HRE has answered every question I've had. He's referred me to local shops to have minor things done and when I curb rashed one wheel, they fixed it for me for free.

I also want to put in a plug for Discount Tire, whom HRE recommended to mount my tires. The guys at Discount have been terrific, including shipping my curbed wheel to HRE when I had them put on my stock wheels/tires for a driver school. They have also fixed my TPSs when they dislodged after they initially mounted them for me.

If more companies had technical staff like these two companies, they could do away with their customer service branches.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:41 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

And I thought I was the only one!
Old 01-14-2004, 04:31 PM
J Ritt

Zland...
I guess it's time to update my sig! I was just kidding...I don't even work for StopTech. I just thought it would be fun to pretend for a while.

Seriously though, the service experiences you describe are the type of thing that differentiate a great company from a merely decent one. It's VERY hard to maintain that type of attention and focus on each customer on a day-to-day basis...so many distractions, fires to put out, etc. I've met some of the guys over there, and they seem like good apples. The wheels are totally bitchin too.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:58 PM
MSOsr

Originally posted by zland
And I thought I was the only one!
I guess Bob "says that to all the guys."
Old 01-15-2004, 06:41 PM
R1Rider

Since iForged was brought up, I wanted to add my .02, so unless you live within reasonable driving distance to go down and complain to them, don't buy from them. I've had to fix an air leak and re-finish the clear coat on my own. Vince kept blaming the installer and did not seem too concerned to send me any info to return and repair them at no charge to me. When you can spray the clear off with the pressure of a garden hose, it is not the tire installer's fault. Did not have a problem with the clear coat until 2-3 weeks after tire install. Will be getting some GT-C's or GramLights in the spring and make the iForged my winter wheels. Maybe you can say I was not persistant/patient enough with them, but the fact is that they sold me crap and did not seem too concerned with fixing the problem(s) when I contacted them. Enough of my bitchin'. Those with iForged and no problems, consider it luck.

Did not mean to jack your thread. I'm sorry.

Quick Reply: More than ever, I am very happy I selected HRE wheels!