Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

$1,000 for perfect mirror finish wheels 360 degrees?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 03:37 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default $1,000 for perfect mirror finish wheels 360 degrees?

I can buy this machine for $15-25,000. That doesn't include the polishing media used in the process per wheel. It would take about 24 hours (or more depending on wheel size/design) in machine labor. I need to gauge interest in if people would pay $1,000 to get their wheels fully polished to a literal perfect mirror shine. Who would, no **** pay $1,000 for a set of 4 wheels to come out like this? I might just start a small business if I can get 30 or so committed people.

$1,000 would not include shipping. Finished product would be raw aluminum, requiring maintenance, unless you had it clear powder-coated - which you would have to do elsewhere.

So would anyone be SERIOUSLY interested in this? I'm located in Pensacola, FL.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:54 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

IMO, there are other ways to get a similar look, that costs less than $1,000 for 4 wheels. This is where your clientele would ask themselves, why this process over other cheaper alternatives?
Old 08-09-2013, 04:20 PM
mcarther101

Ya, I get that. I honestly am thinking about this because I came to this understanding that for a particular look I am after, this is one of two options, and the lesser expensive of the two for the look I want personally.

You can currently:
1. Paint wheels - cheapest option, least durable, least exotic.
2. Powder coat wheels - cheaper option, more durable, more exotic.
3. Hand polish wheels, DIY - cheap, but extremely laborious, and will not yield perfect results, nor 360 degrees of coverage
4. Metal plate wheels through electroplating - most expensive, hard to find service available, most exotic.

This would be sort of a 5th option:
1. Machine polish 360 degrees to mirror finish, expensive, perfect, can be used to acheive unique-looking finishes in combination with translucent powder coat finishes (similar would be super chrome powder coat, with a translucent powder color on top, but it would not be as natural or brilliant looking... it would look less like metal plating, less exotic)

Edit: Looks like this is such an expensive option, and so small a market that I'm not interested in starting this as a side business/hobby. Unless I can find a bigger market for it somewhere else.

Last edited by mcarther101; 08-09-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Feedback looks uninspiring here/facebook...
Old 08-09-2013, 11:03 PM
freddys 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why did they blur out the belt sander?
Old 08-10-2013, 01:50 AM
AmateuRN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Limiting yourself on wheels. Should do any and all engine pieces, paintball guns, metal racing steering wheels, roll bars, home appliances, tools, etc. etc etc. I've seen you post this on facebook, but should really break away from the automotive world.

Any company I've dealt with for coatings - their main customers are not automotive.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:45 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The best wheels I have ever seen on a car or even just stacked on their own are the RAYS GRAM LIGHT 57SPro RMC with TITANIUM LIPS. These just have to be seen to be believed. They're like chrome but like a flipped chrome where different light on them gives a slightly different color. The best of it was that they were on a Daytona Blue 350Z. I just wish I'd had my camera/phone with me.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:42 AM
mcarther101

Originally Posted by AmateuRN
Limiting yourself on wheels. Should do any and all engine pieces, paintball guns, metal racing steering wheels, roll bars, home appliances, tools, etc. etc etc. I've seen you post this on facebook, but should really break away from the automotive world.

Any company I've dealt with for coatings - their main customers are not automotive.
I might just do that. I know how to build one, but obviously a home made one wouldn't come with a 6 year warranty. I'm sure the motor would burn out often considering I wouldn't put much R&D into it. Also, I can't find a properly shaped bowl like container large enough to fit a wheel in... I got a tractor tire and truck tire I was going to try and modify, but they're still not big enough to fit my 18x9.5's the width of the wheel (height of the bowl) is the problem with using a tire as a container.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:50 AM
datsunHEAD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or.....just spit balling here give me the $15,000-$20,000 and bet on black!

seems like a good idea but the hardest part would be advertising to get your name out there and like the other member said not limiting yourself just on automotive side.

whats a gamble without a gamble?goodluck