Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

SSR Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 01:50 PM
Jergens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSR Problems?

Hey guys, I was just talking to the boys at wheelexperts.com about SSR Competition wheels and they told me that they no longer carry them. Apparently people were complaining that the rims bent all the time and were apparently just crap. Which is unfortunate because I had a set of SSR GT1's on my BMW and they seemed just peachy to me. Wanted to know if anyone has heard or had first hand problems with SSR and if anyone has some alternatives.

~Josh
Old 01-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Ultimateone

Ive always heard of many problems with the Comps, Turner Motorsport threw away 40 sets on Comps
Old 01-27-2004, 05:15 AM
Jason Bourne

Originally posted by Ultimateone
Ive always heard of many problems with the Comps, Turner Motorsport threw away 40 sets on Comps
I thought this was common knowledge...

Yes, there have been incidents (Turner's is the most well known) of bent Comps at the track.

However, the SSR comp wheel is as popular a track wheel for BMW club members as the Volk TE37 is a popular street wheel for the members of this forum and most report no problems. So I think that while they may be a little soft, you need to do a lot of curb-bashing to actually bend them - regular (hard) track work without going over all the curbs should not hurt the SSRs.

Jason
Old 01-27-2004, 05:54 AM
Audito350Z

SSR now makes two versions of the Comp. The SSR Comp-H is designed for heavier cars, 3000 lbs and up. The SSR Comp is for lighter cars, less than 3000 lbs.

The Comp-H uses two rim halves that overlap each other about 2" and are welded. This overlap adds considerable structural rigidity to the wheel. It also makes the wheel a little heavier.

The Comp does not have the overlap. It's lighter and can bend a little more easily if you bang kerbs of hit potholes.

I'm guessing SSR added the redesigned Comp-H because of the problems some people were having with the wheel.

PeteH
Old 01-27-2004, 07:28 AM
Loren04G35

I have a set of 17x8.5" SSR Comps with 245's and all I can say is it sounds like a load of cr*p. I've got some chips in the powder coat, but no problems bending with track use. I know a lot of people running them on DSMs, Miatas and MR2s for autocrossing and track use with them and no one has a problem with them. If you look at the rim section of the wheels, despite their low weight(my 17x8.5" wheels weight 15.1 lbs with the center caps attached) the rim section is actually very thick. The spokes are also thicker than they appear in the front and the hats are pretty beefy as well. They are in fact stronger in the rim area that the BBS wheels that weighed twice as much that they replaced. These wheels were designed specifically for the purpose of track racing and are well known for their strength, so to get this feedback as a general known is rediculous. Pot holes are not an issue with them. But if you curb any rim hard enough, you can bed or break them. Personally, I just don't hit any curbs. Please note, that there are a couple cheap copies out there and not all SSR comps have decals on them. Mine never had the decals on them. Real SSR Comps will have "SSR" imprinted in the alloy between the spokes.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:54 AM
516_wrx

that's when people say when the wheels company drops them...just like a famous wheel distributor i know (name withheld) that said HRE wheels were crap when the real reason is HRE wheels wanted nothing to do with them
Old 01-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Jergens

Hey thanks guys that sheds some light on the issue. I noticed Comp-H and was thinking "What the hell ... what is the H for?" Now I know . Thanks for the feed back.. made my life that much easier

~Josh
Old 01-29-2004, 05:29 AM
morefaster

Default Re: SSR Problems?

Sounds pretty rediculous to me My GT3's are holding up great.
I guess if you abuse them they will bend, but not any more likely than any other wheel. I still think SSR has a pretty good quality product.