Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

I Just Don't Understand...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Welcome to the instant gratification era. I had them all Volks, XXR's and now some AME's. What I will say about the XXR's is that I didn't give 2 F's about them compared to my Volks and current AME's. It was nice to have the grip I wanted with the look and not care about curbage or whether or not they'd be there in the AM. Can't say the same about my Circular specs. So they have been removed and garaged for the winter. Kinda like New sneakers vs old favs that you'd use for working out or yard work. With the old favs it's all business vs not wanting to dirty the New kix. Now I think it's silly to spend for knockoffs since the mkt place is flooded with sick deals.. You can easily get a set of 3K wheels for 1500 or less in great condition.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:23 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RCL
The people who have real parts do stand apart from those that don't. It does get a lot more respect and if you notice, magazines like super street and D sport don't feature cars with crappy/replica parts. Take pride in yourself and your build and buy real!
This. I was confused when I opened a magazine(Modified I believe) and the cars were on rep wheels this and knockoff that.

Originally Posted by blue350zed
I feel you Advan. It's not just the wheels either. You're starting to see more and more feature cars with rep body kits and exhausts, etc. There's still a good portion of us out there supporting the OG manufacturers though.
Indeed. It's very unfortunate when people have to ask if the parts on your car are real or fake. Very annoying.

Originally Posted by 1sickveilsidez
What I don't understand is how people think they have hooked up cars when all they have is wheels, slammed and maybe a lip? Usually all off brand parts too.

Seems like no one does nice audio setups anymore, real engine work and dress up, upholstered interior, big brake kits etc.

Civic = 350Z & Integra = G35

Sad, but true especially as they get older and more affordable.
Well in today's world, a show car is pretty much wheels and drop in most cases
Old 12-09-2013, 05:34 PM
J 0 K 3 R

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

personally im completely for knockoffs. its like arizona/levies jeans vs designer john v. or 7 jeans. i dont give 1/2 a s#!t if im wearing a 300$ pair of jeans. i just care about the look and fit. these new 'rep' wheels are looking better and having better, more aggressive sizes and that leads to more inovative, and better looking cars.
also for 4k i would never buy wheels. i can get a nice 240, sc 300, or muscle car project for that. i want my cars to look nice but i need the price to make sense.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:52 PM
07maximan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally understand what you're saying about real vs. replica. Sadly, for me I can't afford the real deal. The problem is no one cares if you have the real deal or not. Sure "real car guys" know but to be honest who cares. Do you know how many real car guys I run into in a day or even a week....maybe one or some times none. I build my car so it looks nice. I don't use the most expensive stuff,but not the cheapest either. In this economy people don't care about quality any more, it's all about price.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:31 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Fake or real parts, it doesn't matter... just modify within your budget. What I cant stand is craiglist yupppies try'na pass their cheap/mediocre parts as if it's really real thing when selling their car. To the average person who doesn't do their homeowork or know cheap/quality parts in general will think this is a good buy when it isn't. Sure "looks good," no doubt but price accordingly.

People getting ripped off isn't my problem but it's the principle. It's easy to get compliments from a random person off the streets/gas station/stop lights etc. but it doesn't mean anything to me because I know they're not on my level knowledge wise about modifying a 350z. It's more meaningful when it's coming from someone who knows just as much (if not more) than you IMO.

I've learned a lot through this forum and quality build have dwindled over the years but it's not a **** contest, not trying to impress anyone.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:37 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Most cars in stancenation look pretty bad anyway fake or not. No?
Old 12-09-2013, 07:54 PM
DCJodon

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
Most cars in stancenation look pretty bad anyway fake or not. No?
Stancenation/Stanceworks/Canibeat are IMO low-quality fitment blogs. If it's not knockoff parts, they're featuring ego maniacs who are a part of some special crew (ex. dapper). The best cars come from guys who couldn't give a sh*t about efame and just build it for themselves. The internet ruined the car scene in the past couple years.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:32 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by J 0 K 3 R
personally im completely for knockoffs. its like arizona/levies jeans vs designer john v. or 7 jeans. i dont give 1/2 a s#!t if im wearing a 300$ pair of jeans. i just care about the look and fit. these new 'rep' wheels are looking better and having better, more aggressive sizes and that leads to more inovative, and better looking cars.
also for 4k i would never buy wheels. i can get a nice 240, sc 300, or muscle car project for that. i want my cars to look nice but i need the price to make sense.
Thinking Levi's are the real deal and all other jeans regardless of brand are simply knock offs. Levi's were the first jeans and have been around for over 100 years.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:10 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Of course you would and your car is proof of this forum going to ****.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:43 AM
graffkid732

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Bingo.

I prefer a girl with real boobies than fake boobies
But to sit there and say fake ***** are just as good as natural because there's something there and they look good, is stupid in my opinion.

Olive Garden will NEVER be as good or even close to any "real" or "legit" Italian Restaurant. There's no comparison just like there is no comparison between real/authentic/legit parts to knockoffs/fake/replica parts.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:35 AM
radiocrash

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DCJodon
The internet ruined the car scene in the past couple years.
this.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:48 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by DCJodon
Stancenation/Stanceworks/Canibeat are IMO low-quality fitment blogs. If it's not knockoff parts, they're featuring ego maniacs who are a part of some special crew (ex. dapper). The best cars come from guys who couldn't give a sh*t about efame and just build it for themselves. The internet ruined the car scene in the past couple years.
This was on point. I never thought about them in terms of blogs. On the other hand, that is where a majority of people look at cars. I don't subscribe to any car magazines these days but from the past few issues of Super Street I've picked up, it seems they still keep it true with properly built cars.

Again, this thread wasn't meant to be a real VS. replica thread, I just think "lesser budget" parts do not have a place in featured car articles. There's a reason not everyone is a doctor and drives an exotic triple digit-priced car.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:23 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,600 Likes on 2,056 Posts

It's bs.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanZ33

Again, this thread wasn't meant to be a real VS. replica thread, I just think "lesser budget" parts do not have a place in featured car articles.
I can dig this statement 4 sure. Slapping on vardawgs, brotas or XXR's on a drift missile makes sense but trying to be a feature with a project car with straight up knock offs does muddy the waters and takes away from the guy who sacrifices to have the real deal.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

J O K E R is a prime example of where this forum has gone… he's been a total douchebag since his FIRST post and he's the type of person idolizes Aussie Mick's garbage set up who is another garbage individual.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:07 PM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

^ I never understood Aussie set up. Admit to have HKS knockoff with Megan coilovers while having a cosworth plenum and whole paint job and fabrication.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:31 PM
TSG-Z

I agree with the OP, but moreso in line with what another posters reply. What did happen to the total car concept? Everything now is retartdedly low suspension sitting on ill fitting rims with ugly @$$ stretched tires. I recall a while back a respected member here wouldnt share his offsets with someone that inquired. I thought it was the saddest more hilarous moment of this whole craze! Having a cheap suspension on cheap wheels on a otherwise stock car = fan boy love.

* That last line wasnt a reference to the member who wouldnt share his offsets.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:55 PM
dvo

Just saw the coverage of it. While i'm all for doing what you want with your car, It does sadden me when I see more and more "knock-off" wheels out there on show coverage or magazine features.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:07 PM
J 0 K 3 R

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
says the guy driving some econobox pos corola thing, and not a z.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:22 PM
graffkid732

says the guy driving some econobox pos corola thing, and not a z.
Joel had one of the most well put together Zs out there regardless of what his car is now. Kind of hard to argue about this topic with people who take the time and spend the money for quality parts over the people who buy parts just to have parts and try to claim they have a properly or well built car.

Quick Reply: I Just Don't Understand...