I Just Don't Understand...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 05:57 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts
Thumbs down I Just Don't Understand...

So I'm looking at Stance Nation's Dominican show coverage and noticed 90% of the wheels on these cars are knockoffs. I'm thinking to myself that Stance Nation has everything to do with wheel/suspension setups and if I were to follow their coverage I would want to see real wheels...wheels that are hard to obtain, rare or at least thinking outside the box. I understand the real vs. knockoff debate is neverending but come on. I remember reading Import magazines back in the day and seeing featured cars using high end parts...giving people something to build towards or desire.

Nowadays, you can buy knockoff wheels and get just as much, if not more, media exposure than the guys supporting the pioneers of the aftermarket community.

Case in point, as a TE-37 lover for many years I finally bought my first set of TEs last year. From the moment I mounted them to the moment I sold them, I never really felt like I had something different than the rest. I think the replica companies have diluted that feeling for me. I have since moved on to Work Equips...which are now going to be replicated by XXR...

At any rate, I'm not knocking people who can't afford the real deal or saying knockoffs are crap, blah blah blah. But, I am saying that if the show coverage, featured cars, magazine articles, etc. are showing you pictures of parts that are so easily obtained, then the bar has been substantially lowered...kind of like the resale value of the Z
Old 12-07-2013, 06:21 PM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

I feel you bro. But maybe you should take pride that your car is a real deal. True car guys know that.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:30 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by RUNWDVL
I feel you bro. But maybe you should take pride that your car is a real deal. True car guys know that.
Don't get me wrong, it matters to me personally but it's discouraging that the social media's majority of coverage doesn't support it. At first I understood where high end wheel owners came from...blaming people who chose to go the lesser route for whatever reason. But now, what do future wheel enthusiasts have to look forward to? Limited edition Varrstoens? Because that's all they are seeing in show coverage.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:36 PM
datsunHEAD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I was the only one that noticed,Those cars look like cars regular cars around my town lol, I think alot has to do with importing them in too I think there more expensive even for reps,the S30 engine set up was nice tho!
Old 12-07-2013, 06:38 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by datsunHEAD
I thought I was the only one that noticed,Those cars look like cars regular cars around my town lol, I think alot has to do with importing them in too I think there more expensive even for reps,the S30 engine set up was nice tho!
I agree. It actually took me way too long to realize those "Meisters" had center caps.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:41 PM
RCL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The people who have real parts do stand apart from those that don't. It does get a lot more respect and if you notice, magazines like super street and D sport don't feature cars with crappy/replica parts. Take pride in yourself and your build and buy real!
Old 12-07-2013, 09:23 PM
blue350zed

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel you Advan. It's not just the wheels either. You're starting to see more and more feature cars with rep body kits and exhausts, etc. There's still a good portion of us out there supporting the OG manufacturers though.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:48 PM
1sickveilsidez

What I don't understand is how people think they have hooked up cars when all they have is wheels, slammed and maybe a lip? Usually all off brand parts too.

Seems like no one does nice audio setups anymore, real engine work and dress up, upholstered interior, big brake kits etc.

Civic = 350Z & Integra = G35

Sad, but true especially as they get older and more affordable.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:59 PM
BEBO'S ZEE

Originally Posted by RCL
The people who have real parts do stand apart from those that don't. It does get a lot more respect and if you notice, magazines like super street and D sport don't feature cars with crappy/replica parts. Take pride in yourself and your build and buy real!

When I see someone rolling on reps I dont really care. When I see authentic parts I'm like because I know they come with a hefty price tag.

Face it we're like women. We know we can get that fake Louis Vuitton bag anywhere, yet we would still much rather pay the big bucks just to say we have a real one.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:06 PM
BEBO'S ZEE

Originally Posted by 1sickveilsidez
What I don't understand is how people think they have hooked up cars when all they have is wheels, slammed and maybe a lip? Usually all off brand parts too.

Seems like no one does nice audio setups anymore, real engine work and dress up, upholstered interior, big brake kits etc.

That is why I don't really follow those stance sites. I feel like they lead people on to believing wheels and being slammed is a "built" car
Old 12-08-2013, 02:36 AM
JCITY
Banned

Reps are here(all products!)because people don't have the money for the real thing.
Some originals are a rip off.They jack up the price due to the name.It depends what you are buying.In A a lot of things,you get what you pay for.
However,there are exceptions to this rule.
There are always gonna be knocks offs.Something gets popular,the Chinese
are building a copy.THats just business.
Real car guys want the best.THey are willing to pay the price.
To me,you put one cheap piece on your car,the entire car suffers.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:22 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

That's exactly why I'm getting a custom set of wheels for my CC.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:42 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Look on craigslist for people selling imports(Zs,Gs MR2s etc) Title will state Stanced JDM goodies. I click on the link just to look and they got Vars stretched tires SLAMMED and ebay stuff. Yea lots of JDM and stance.......
Old 12-08-2013, 05:08 AM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
Look on craigslist for people selling imports(Zs,Gs MR2s etc) Title will state Stanced JDM goodies. I click on the link just to look and they got Vars stretched tires SLAMMED and ebay stuff. Yea lots of JDM and stance.......
Haha, I see the same $hit.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:39 AM
AmateuRN

This is the "scene" nowadays.. I keep seeing it more and more.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:14 AM
secwind

The best part is the knock off guys get offended when you don't give them the same attention as the car with authentic goodies.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 AM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

^^^ They just want "stance" in the cheapest way possible... Chinese coils & knockoff wheels FTL.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:51 AM
DCJodon

Originally Posted by 1sickveilsidez

Cars that are overly done-up are not everyone's cup of tea. Believe it or not, people like a clean, OEM look vs. Tokyo Driftish with everything modified. Audio setups are not a characteristic of "built" cars either. A lot of the fitment guys don't try to flaunt a "built" or fast car, and if they do they have no clue what they're talking about. Our cars are daily drivers and modifications are done around the wheels. No offense, but a purple veilside z with giant subs is ricier than a slammed, cambered, oem+ z. It's my opinion and you can take it how you want. But if you're gonna have a "built" car with "real engine work", take it to the track, not the detailer every sunday.

Last edited by DCJodon; 12-08-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Kcee91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blue350zed
I feel you Advan. It's not just the wheels either. You're starting to see more and more feature cars with rep body kits and exhausts, etc. There's still a good portion of us out there supporting the OG manufacturers though.
Totally agree with all of you on that. I remember people saying awhile back, "Why haven't you changed anything exterior-wise on the Nismo Z?" I said "There's no point because it's as good as it gets." Am I wrong? I don't think so, but some people have different opinions.

Still though, it's hard to get some of the OG JDM stuff like Amuse, Top Secret, and Mine's. I haven't seen much pop around for a group buy or what not.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 AM
AmateuRN

Hard to get that stuff because there are 4 replicas of each. Why would Top Secret make a new style diffuser today for the Z, only to sell 10 before Strafe gets a hold of one, copies it, and offers it for 80% less.

If you think Varrstoen hasn't hurt Volk, you're wrong. If you think mastergrade didn't effect Top Secret, you're wrong.
They've all felt it and respond by not making things for that platform anymore. Even TS stopped making the widebody for the G35...

I can't even find an authentic Gialla or Kenstyle bumper for the G35 anymore - most new guys buying the car don't even know who really makes these parts. They call them "K-style" or "Type G". I feel bad being one of the first to bring a particular part to the US because as far as I know only 2 have been sold in the US and ALREADY I was PM'd by someone to get it and make a replica of it... **** off... you serious?

Last edited by AmateuRN; 12-09-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Quick Reply: I Just Don't Understand...