Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

lug nut NOOB questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 02:15 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Default lug nut NOOB questions

Hi Group:

Just bought a nice set of Rays LM-GT4's for my '08, and I'd like to buy some new lug nuts for them. OEM studs in place, no spacers. I'd like something black or maybe dark gray, and something reasonably difficult for thieves to remove. This car is my daily driver, I only take the wheels off for normal maintenance (pads, bleeds, etc.), and I want lugs that will be durable and still look good a few years from now. Questions are:

Any advantage to spline-drive, like the Muteki or McGard?

If spline-drive, do I still need locks? (the splined McGards come with locks)

Open-end versus closed-end (I think I prefer the latter)?

Anything else I need to know about?

Thanks in advance for your advice. If you can provide some direct links to recommended lugs, that would be extra helpful.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:27 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

In all honesty, if someone wants to steal your wheels... They will. No matter what type of safeguards you have. But you have LMGT4's that most "thieves" wouldn't consider stealing (no offense meant, they're great wheels it's just that thieves go after Work/Volks/Gram Lights/conventional Rays/etc.)

That being said, there is no real "advantage" to spline-drive. Many people think they make their wheels more secure but anyone can purchase spline drive heads just like they can most lock lug heads.

And either way, I would always purchase a set with locks.

Since you aren't running extended studs I would stick with close-ended lugs, also open-ended lugs are notorious for rusting in the inner barrel.

What is your price range?
Old 01-27-2014, 02:49 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Rays Duralumin.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:34 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dean, you and I have the same wheels

They came with these when I bought them new back in 2008, you would need to buy 20 so $60 total:

http://www.nissanraceshop.com/produc...125-40222rn700

I now run these Muteki's:

Amazon.com: Muteki (Close End Black 12x 1.25) Super Tuner Nuts Light Weight Wheel Lug Nut: Automotive Amazon.com: Muteki (Close End Black 12x 1.25) Super Tuner Nuts Light Weight Wheel Lug Nut: Automotive
Old 01-27-2014, 06:18 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by pyshin
In all honesty, if someone wants to steal your wheels... They will. No matter what type of safeguards you have. But you have LMGT4's that most "thieves" wouldn't consider stealing (no offense meant, they're great wheels it's just that thieves go after Work/Volks/Gram Lights/conventional Rays/etc.)

That being said, there is no real "advantage" to spline-drive. Many people think they make their wheels more secure but anyone can purchase spline drive heads just like they can most lock lug heads.

And either way, I would always purchase a set with locks.

Since you aren't running extended studs I would stick with close-ended lugs, also open-ended lugs are notorious for rusting in the inner barrel.

What is your price range?
^ Excellent points.
And +1 to Advan's suggestion since you're rolling on lmgt4's. What color are they btw?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:03 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Another +1 for Rays Duralumin... Most of the time if you can afford to match the wheel/lug, I say do it.

If you want to go more economical... I agree with Waizzz with the Muteki's he posted... They are great quality for the price.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:43 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I have Gorilla lugs and love them. Acorn closed black extended type. They have held up well.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:44 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

UPS just delivered the wheels, and damn, these things are beautiful. I got the 18" silver staggered setup.

As for the lugs, I think the Muteki's Waizzz recommended will fit the bill, although I'm still considering the Rays. It seems like there are some huge variations in price, and I know there are some knock-offs out there, which I don't want to get involved with. AliExpress has them for $29.42/set shipped If I can find a black or gunmetal set for ~$150, I might go for those.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-set...021975188.html

I know you can't stop a thief from taking wheels (or the car), if they're serious about it, but I don't want to make it too easy. My Z is almost always parked at home or in the garage at the hospital where I work, so generally it's safe. I never take it to movies, dinners, entertainment events, or where it will be parked for hours at a time. A friend has a Roush Mustang and a few years ago he had his lug nuts stolen one night, but not the wheels. This was on the roof of the garage at a different hospital and the only reason we noticed was that it was ~7AM and the sun was low and reflecting off the wheels. I can only guess at the mess having the wheels fall off would have made, but we found some nuts at a local Pep Boys to use temporarily.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the advice, and I'm stoked about getting these wheels mounted.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:53 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm on my second set of Muteki closed-end lug nuts....the first ones were the red color spline-drive type, and the current set are neon-chrome color with a simple hex shape. Like you, I tend to not leave my car parked any places where I think anyone would even think about stealing anything. And for $40 for the set, for something that looks decent and does its job (i.e. stays torqued and holds the wheel in place), the Muteki offering is adequate for me. I suppose Project KICS or RAYS brands would be a fancy touch, but I'd rather not spend the money on it.