Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

tire suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016 | 08:02 AM
JDMStanced

Default tire suggestion

Could help me with choosing all season tires for under $150?
Low noise but very grippy. No soft sidewall.

i'm looking at Bridgestone potenza s-04 pole position
Pirelli P zero all season plus
Continental extremecontact DW
Bridgestone Potenza re760 sport
BFGoodrich g-force sport comp-2
Falken ziex ze0612+

any suggestions out of these ones or anything else?

thanks
Old 02-14-2016 | 12:17 PM
Spike100

Your question is “choosing all season tires,” but one option you mention in your list of tires is the “Continental extremecontact DW.” The Continental Extreme Contact DW is defined by Continental as a maximum performance summer tire (and thus not an A/S tire).

Continental’s Ultra High Performance All-Season tire is the Extreme Contact DWS. I have this tire on my 350z, and it’s an exceptional A/S tire. It is quiet running and grips great in wet, and moderately well on ice and in soft snow.

Here is the caveat: The Extreme Contact DWS doesn’t grip on dry pavement anywhere near a maximum performance summer tire, and it heats and softens at higher speeds. The softening at higher speeds causes more sidewall flexing and thus hurts the handling.

EDIT: To mention that there is no A/S tire that runs well at high speed. A/S tires are meant to operate in mixed road conditions, and thus will never be an Extreme or Maximum Summer tire.

The Continental Extreme Contact DWS is the best A/S tire I have run, and I’m old and have run a lot of A/S tires over the last 50 years.

Originally Posted by JDMStanced
Could help me with choosing all season tires for under $150?
Low noise but very grippy. No soft sidewall.

i'm looking at Bridgestone potenza s-04 pole position
Pirelli P zero all season plus
Continental extremecontact DW
Bridgestone Potenza re760 sport
BFGoodrich g-force sport comp-2
Falken ziex ze0612+

any suggestions out of these ones or anything else?

thanks

Last edited by Spike100; 02-14-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-14-2016 | 02:20 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Spike100
Your question is “choosing all season tires,” but one option you mention in your list of tires is the “Continental extremecontact DW.” The Continental Extreme Contact DW is defined by Continental as a maximum performance summer tire (and thus not an A/S tire).

Continental’s Ultra High Performance All-Season tire is the Extreme Contact DWS. I have this tire on my 350z, and it’s an exceptional A/S tire. It is quiet running and grips great in wet, and moderately well on ice and in soft snow.

Here is the caveat: The Extreme Contact DWS doesn’t grip on dry pavement anywhere near a maximum performance summer tire, and it heats and softens at higher speeds. The softening at higher speeds causes more sidewall flexing and thus hurts the handling.

EDIT: To mention that there is no A/S tire that runs well at high speed. A/S tires are meant to operate in mixed road conditions, and thus will never be an Extreme or Maximum Summer tire.

The Continental Extreme Contact DWS is the best A/S tire I have run, and I’m old and have run a lot of A/S tires over the last 50 years.
^^^ This.

None but one (the Pirelli) on your list are All Season (AKA "a compromise tire"). The rest are UHP or Max Perf.

Go to tirerack.com and check 'em all out there.

Last edited by MicVelo; 02-14-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-14-2016 | 03:38 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

The BFG G-Force Comp 2 A/S meets OP's requirement on every level. I run a set of these on my '03 track and like 'em a lot.
Old 02-15-2016 | 03:59 PM
Spike100

The BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 tires and the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires receive very similar ratings from owners and professional evaluators. Both tires perform acceptably well at high speed and work just OK(not great) on ice and in snow. I’ve run both and preferred the Continental’s for better ride and less noise.

Neither tire comes close to ratings for extreme or maximum summer performance tires at high speed or studless snow tires on ice or in snow.

I’m in Minnesota where seasons can “stretch” longer than expected. To handle this, I use A/S from April to November, and studless snow tires from December to March.
Old 02-17-2016 | 06:49 AM
rancor

Why are you looking for all seasons, do you want one tire to last you through Michigan winters?

The all seasons that are alright in the snow are not the ones with the best handling. They did just improve the Continental ExtremeContact DWS for better handling so that might be your best choice.

It also might be a good idea to look at snow tires for the winter especially in Michigan, and get a more aggressive 3 season "all season" or summer tire for the rest of the year.
Old 02-17-2016 | 01:32 PM
VenomGT9

Had the DWS on my G during Chicago winters...never had an issue.
Use them on my Audi now while the G sits on PSS.
Moral of the story, if you use the same car year round...use 2 different tire sets. Reason being, once summer hits you'll want a more grippy tire than any A/S can offer.
Old 02-17-2016 | 02:36 PM
Spike100

^^ Are the Infiniti and Audi all-wheel drive?
Old 02-17-2016 | 02:54 PM
VenomGT9

Audi, yes...nothing beats Quattro
G, nope RWD coupayyyyy
Old 02-17-2016 | 03:37 PM
Spike100

Thanks for the reply. I was asking about all-wheel drive because it does make a difference in the tires you can run on ice and in snow.

I tried running the Continental Extreme Contact DWS on my 350z (2003 Performance model) during the winter I didn’t feel confident and had some issues when the snow became deep. This DWS tire was just barely adequate on a 350z in severe conditions during the winter months (I’m in Minnesota).

I changed to Dunlop Studless Snow Tires; I was surprised at how much better studless snow tires performed at very cold temperatures in snow and on ice.
Old 02-17-2016 | 03:58 PM
Spike100

And for sure you are correct... Quattro is the best.

The new all-wheel drive systems on BMW's sedans and the X4 are excellent, but I favor Audi's Quattro. Audi has been doing a performance all-wheel drive longer than anyone and the experience shows.

Originally Posted by VenomGT9
Audi, yes...nothing beats Quattro
G, nope RWD coupayyyyy
Old 03-01-2016 | 10:15 PM
g3rard

If you are considering the DWS, the new DWS 06 might be a better choice since it has better sidewalls and cornering response.