Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

05 Base model Wheel upgrades thos

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 05:05 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Zero offset... Your mounting surface would be centered in the wheel.

You can visualize what this would look like by looking at any of the pictures of people with stock wheels and 30mm spacers. About what you need for flush fitment.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:10 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

And a 18x8 with 0 offset would still be 4 mm further in then a 18x9.5 +15 in case you were wondering.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:21 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Then it would look like one of those railroad trucks that can ride on the tracks
Old 10-03-2017, 06:10 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Zkiwi
see, this is where I feel the residents have got it all wrong. The equiry was never answered. "What is stock 18" rims looking like?".

The link is about offset and it's a hoot. To find an unknown offset measure down from straightedge and subtract half the overall. Or find where it's stamped on there.

How did the first response get to 10.5's? Answer the question asked then discuss why it's not an appropriate question. I happen to think it's an entirely appropriate one since 2005 was the start of staggered stock rims.

It's my guess Nissan brought in wider rear rims and increased the offset so it stayed looking stock. That would have narrowed the track at the rear. No change on front.

I haven't read anything to say why 18x8.5 30p 245/45 rear, 18x8.5 30p 225/45 would be wrong. That's the stock tyres with option to go wider.

Not ONE person said the OP was inappropriate for asking the question.

The original post asked about 18" wheels and what the recommended offset should be - more or less for best fit.

To wit: "not sure if those are right which is why i'm here. i wanna buy some 18" but i'm not sure what's more reccomended not better, a lower or higher offset and is the staggering required when it comes to 350z wheels?"

There was no stipulation as to whether he wanted OE 18s or aftermarket so the answers given gave the oft-most recommended solutions. 8.5/9.5 or 9.5/10.5 with recommended best offsets in the +15 to +25mm range. These are time honored upgrades and have withstood said test of time since the car was introduced 15 years ago.

Yes, you are correct that scrub radius is affected - of course it is since ANY change in offset from OE does so - but functionally, only minimally because as you move the offset to a lower value, keep in mind that the increase in width and track also helps in keeping the effects of slightly positive scrub radius to a minimum.

Minusing out 15mm from stock offset and adding an inch or more of width still allows for the Z's well known and proper, quick turn-in, return to center, and straight ahead tracking (so long as accompanied by appropriately performing tires of course). There are little downsides to that decrease in offset. Going below that, yes, going above stock offset, yes. But this is the sweet spot range.

IOW, the hot tip on a Z33 is going to a lower offset wheel yielding slight bit more positive scrub radius. The Z suspension - particularly those with proper modifications to support the wheel change, e.g. proper alignment and roll stiffness is very receptive to such changes. I and many others have made this point for years.

FYI, The 8.0/8.5 staggered Track wheels have been on the car since '02 introduction and even the stock 8.0 square 17/18 have always run 225/235 and 225/245 stagger. And there's a good reason for it....to minimize the possibility of unanticipated rear breakaway as most drivers are safer in a slight understeering car. (And of course, Nissan doesn't want to be liable for selling an "unsafe" car.)

And for those people that understand the concept and application of throttle induced oversteer, that can easily be accommodated through alignment, tire settings (measurement and pressure) and/or adjustable roll stiffness. IOW, modifications to suit the driver.

So I'm not really sure what the complaint is here since the question(s) were answered. I mean, I do not see anywhere where the OP asked about how 18s "looked on the car".

I won't go so far as to say they're "cheerios" but OE wheels do have a "less aggressive, sunken in" appearance vis a vis a more aggressive offset and width set of wheels.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:04 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I have stock size tires and wheels on my Z along with 25 mm spacers. They look fine to me and not sunken.
Attached Thumbnails 05 Base model Wheel upgrades thos-20170901_171405.jpg   05 Base model Wheel upgrades thos-20170901_171820.jpg  
Old 10-08-2017, 10:35 PM
Zkiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Not ONE person said the OP was inappropriate for asking the question.

The original post asked about 18" wheels and what the recommended offset should be - more or less for best fit.

To wit: "not sure if those are right which is why i'm here. i wanna buy some 18" but i'm not sure what's more reccomended not better, a lower or higher offset and is the staggering required when it comes to 350z wheels?"

There was no stipulation as to whether he wanted OE 18s or aftermarket so the answers given gave the oft-most recommended solutions. 8.5/9.5 or 9.5/10.5 with recommended best offsets in the +15 to +25mm range. These are time honored upgrades and have withstood said test of time since the car was introduced 15 years ago.

Yes, you are correct that scrub radius is affected - of course it is since ANY change in offset from OE does so - but functionally, only minimally because as you move the offset to a lower value, keep in mind that the increase in width and track also helps in keeping the effects of slightly positive scrub radius to a minimum.

Minusing out 15mm from stock offset and adding an inch or more of width still allows for the Z's well known and proper, quick turn-in, return to center, and straight ahead tracking (so long as accompanied by appropriately performing tires of course). There are little downsides to that decrease in offset. Going below that, yes, going above stock offset, yes. But this is the sweet spot range.

IOW, the hot tip on a Z33 is going to a lower offset wheel yielding slight bit more positive scrub radius. The Z suspension - particularly those with proper modifications to support the wheel change, e.g. proper alignment and roll stiffness is very receptive to such changes. I and many others have made this point for years.

FYI, The 8.0/8.5 staggered Track wheels have been on the car since '02 introduction and even the stock 8.0 square 17/18 have always run 225/235 and 225/245 stagger. And there's a good reason for it....to minimize the possibility of unanticipated rear breakaway as most drivers are safer in a slight understeering car. (And of course, Nissan doesn't want to be liable for selling an "unsafe" car.)

And for those people that understand the concept and application of throttle induced oversteer, that can easily be accommodated through alignment, tire settings (measurement and pressure) and/or adjustable roll stiffness. IOW, modifications to suit the driver.

So I'm not really sure what the complaint is here since the question(s) were answered. I mean, I do not see anywhere where the OP asked about how 18s "looked on the car".

I won't go so far as to say they're "cheerios" but OE wheels do have a "less aggressive, sunken in" appearance vis a vis a more aggressive offset and width set of wheels.
my choice of "look like" was poor for an American audience, I meant the OP asked what were the STOCK 18 sizes for his car, as in "what's that looking like when it's at home?". That is an appeal for more information in the rest of the Brit settled world.

This was not answered.

I think if one doesn't natively understand throttle steering one has no business owning a sports car.

What happens to the stock handling when 8.5 22p wheels go on the front?