Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Will This Wheel Combo Work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Bernardo Z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Will This Wheel Combo Work?

Hello everyone. I am shopping for wheels and tires right now. I have the wheels in mind. I'm thinking about going 18x10.5 +22 in the rear and 18x9 +20 in the front. I would go 9.5 in the front but the wheels I want do not come in that size unfortunatly. How will this size wheel run with stock ride height? Also what tire size would you guys recommend with this wheel setup? I am not going to track the car or anything like that. I want it only as a daily. I don't want any tire stretch, rub, fender roll etc. Will 9' F and 10.5'R affect handling in a bad way? Sorry if this has been discussed but I've searched and can't find anyone with this setup Thank you everyone I appreciate the help and input! Hope everyone had a great easter!
Old 04-05-2018, 03:32 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernardo Z33
Hello everyone. I am shopping for wheels and tires right now. I have the wheels in mind. I'm thinking about going 18x10.5 +22 in the rear and 18x9 +20 in the front. I would go 9.5 in the front but the wheels I want do not come in that size unfortunatly. How will this size wheel run with stock ride height? Also what tire size would you guys recommend with this wheel setup? I am not going to track the car or anything like that. I want it only as a daily. I don't want any tire stretch, rub, fender roll etc. Will 9' F and 10.5'R affect handling in a bad way? Sorry if this has been discussed but I've searched and can't find anyone with this setup Thank you everyone I appreciate the help and input! Hope everyone had a great easter!
Well, that depends.

On whether or not these wheels will match your door handles.

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...th-wheels.html

OK, just busting your chops. Those sizes will work fine. While the extra half inch on the front would be nice, it's not going to affect anything negatively that drastically, handling wise, so long as you outfit with the proper (size and type) tires.

How it all fits at stock ride height ALSO depends on your tire choices. Keep the stock HEIGHT/DIAMETER (which you SHOULD for other reasons) and it won't look any different in the elevation (side) view. It will look very different from the fore/aft and 3/4 views though because width and depth are changed. (Fairly obvious, yes?)

Physical fit should be fine with no interference from inside or outside edges/components.

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-05-2018 at 03:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bernardo Z33 (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 05:30 PM
No_name

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Piling on to Mic's comments...

18x10.5 +22...18x9 +20
Good offsets. As noted, would prefer a 9.5 up-front but "it is what it is" if that's all the Mfgr markets in the wheels ya' want.

How will this size wheel run with stock ride height?
No issues with your wheel choice specifically. Its the combination of those wheels and the tire size/profile you pair them with that you focus on. See below for a reasonable/common choice.

what tire size
If I were making that decision it would be 245/40-18 & 275/40-18 (aligns to OEM diameter and recommended section-width specs). Others may suggest different options/sizes but will be in the same ball-park.

don't want any tire stretch, rub, fender roll etc.
Can't guarantee you anything but...the above tire sizes paired with those wheels...some minor stretch out-back but still a good sidewall profile (visual). More importantly...that combo is an upgrade that will provide solid performance and that's what matters. Doubt you will need a roll (no rub, will still have OEM "gap" but looks better because your filling the wheel well out). Generally front & rear should appear "flush."

Will 9' F and 10.5'R affect handling in a bad way?
We could "get into the math" but its not worth debating nor should it impact your decision.

FWIW I run the following in comparison on a stock suspension, a very adequate street setup and not too different than where your heads at (mine is not a DD).
  • (F) 255/40-18 on 9.5 +22
  • (R) 275/40-18 on 10.5 +18

Go here and run the numbers to see the similarity between these and what your considering.
The following 2 users liked this post by No_name:
Bernardo Z33 (04-05-2018), MicVelo (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 09:02 PM
Bernardo Z33

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Well, that depends.

On whether or not these wheels will match your door handles.

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...th-wheels.html

OK, just busting your chops. Those sizes will work fine. While the extra half inch on the front would be nice, it's not going to affect anything negatively that drastically, handling wise, so long as you outfit with the proper (size and type) tires.

How it all fits at stock ride height ALSO depends on your tire choices. Keep the stock HEIGHT/DIAMETER (which you SHOULD for other reasons) and it won't look any different in the elevation (side) view. It will look very different from the fore/aft and 3/4 views though because width and depth are changed. (Fairly obvious, yes?)

Physical fit should be fine with no interference from inside or outside edges/components.
haha actually speaking of that they are silver and are quite close to the door handle color haha! Thanks again for the help! So if I wanted to keep the per say stock ride height look which size tires should I get on these wheels?
Old 04-05-2018, 09:06 PM
Bernardo Z33

Originally Posted by No_name
Piling on to Mic's comments...

Good offsets. As noted, would prefer a 9.5 up-front but "it is what it is" if that's all the Mfgr markets in the wheels ya' want.

No issues with your wheel choice specifically. Its the combination of those wheels and the tire size/profile you pair them with that you focus on. See below for a reasonable/common choice.

If I were making that decision it would be 245/40-18 & 275/40-18 (aligns to OEM diameter and recommended section-width specs). Others may suggest different options/sizes but will be in the same ball-park.

Can't guarantee you anything but...the above tire sizes paired with those wheels...some minor stretch out-back but still a good sidewall profile (visual). More importantly...that combo is an upgrade that will provide solid performance and that's what matters. Doubt you will need a roll (no rub, will still have OEM "gap" but looks better because your filling the wheel well out). Generally front & rear should appear "flush."

We could "get into the math" but its not worth debating nor should it impact your decision.

FWIW I run the following in comparison on a stock suspension, a very adequate street setup and not too different than where your heads at (mine is not a DD).
  • (F) 255/40-18 on 9.5 +22
  • (R) 275/40-18 on 10.5 +18

Go here and run the numbers to see the similarity between these and what your considering.
Thank you!! You don't know how much this helps I really appreciate it!