Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

B+G Drop makes Joust Happy

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 12:35 PM
silverstoneTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much on average does it cost to install new springs?
Old 04-01-2004, 12:51 PM
DrCold

Originally posted by wutafobb
hey dr cold, is ur friends black z lowered? both sweet cars! sorry im a bit off topic!
Yes, that is JmanZ's car. He used the Eibachs and they have sagged pretty bad. I do not like how his tires are tucked up into the wheel well.

I was hoping to order these or the Teins today, but I guess I'll wait for a few more replies. I just want to make double sure that I get exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:57 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DrCold
Yes, that is JmanZ's car. He used the Eibachs and they have sagged pretty bad. I do not like how his tires are tucked up into the wheel well.

I was hoping to order these or the Teins today, but I guess I'll wait for a few more replies. I just want to make double sure that I get exactly what I'm looking for.
Dr,

I know what you mean, I too didn't want it "too tucked" I happen to win a set of Hotchkis springs at a Z meet, I installed the rears and the fronts are getting done soon. The rear lowers it .75" and the fronts .50". Mine is not even close to as tucked as these, it just depends what you are looking for. If you looks at my sig, this is before I put my springs on, but my rear has as much clearance as my front in those sig pics, just for an idea.

If I were you I would go S-tech (see bats car) or hotchkiss if you don't want as much tuck
Old 04-01-2004, 03:35 PM
DrCold

Originally posted by rodH
Dr,

I know what you mean, I too didn't want it "too tucked" I happen to win a set of Hotchkis springs at a Z meet, I installed the rears and the fronts are getting done soon. The rear lowers it .75" and the fronts .50". Mine is not even close to as tucked as these, it just depends what you are looking for. If you looks at my sig, this is before I put my springs on, but my rear has as much clearance as my front in those sig pics, just for an idea.

If I were you I would go S-tech (see bats car) or hotchkiss if you don't want as much tuck
Thanks for the advice. So far I'm leaning towards the S-techs. But I'd like to see a couple more pics of Joust's car first. Maybe some side pics and some up close pics of the top of the tire and fender (front and rear). I figure if the tires aren't tucked up inside (I like them pretty close to flush, if not just a little space. which is why I'm looking at the S-techs), and they are said not to sag, I'll get them instead. Ugh, its so hard to choose.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:46 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Joust, revisiting your previous thread you posted last month regarding the 19's and performance issues (see below). Did the springs correct any of these issues? Are you still on the same tires? Were the agility issues possibly related to the ride height?

#1 braking. I have the stock track Brembo Brakes with ss lines. Pedal effort is noticeably higher. I have to press the brakes harder to stop in the same distance. I have no doubts about this. The added rotational mass is harder on the brakes.

#2 As I said before the car sticks, but it is just noticeably less agile. I am not as sure about this as I am about the braking but I do notice it.

#3 Acceleration. Going from the heavy stock 17s and 18s to the lighter 19inch TE37s would probably be a seamless transition but going from 18lb trackers to the TEs made a huge difference in acceleration. My car basically feels like I am carrying 250lbs of extra weight. The throttle does not feel as responsive because of this extra rotational weight. I noticed this as soon as I put the wheels on. Again, the difference here is quite obvious.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:57 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Originally posted by DrCold
Thanks for the advice. So far I'm leaning towards the S-techs.....I figure if the tires aren't tucked up inside (I like them pretty close to flush, if not just a little space.
DrCold, I just got some volks at 9.5/10.5 +22 and feel the same way. I really can't stand the sagged look and prefer a small gap up top to contrast with the gaps on the sides (avoiding the whole lowrider look). In this case, Anything 1" or less should be perfect with 19's.

I just ordered the s-techs but another choice was the RSR (similar drop but they're linear, which I assume will make the ride rougher than the s-techs). If ride quality isn't as much of an issue you may also want to look at those.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:41 PM
vics350

Originally posted by rodH
Dr,

Rod, do you have any pictures of your car with the new drop that you can post?
Old 04-01-2004, 05:30 PM
rodH

Originally posted by vics350
Rod, do you have any pictures of your car with the new drop that you can post?
not yet, I still have to get the fronts done (this sat I hope) and a few other mods before I want to post more pics of my car .

In the rear I now have about a 1 1/2 finger gap from the tire to the wheel well, in the front it is 2 fingers, BUT since the rear tires are so much taller, the distance from the very top of the rear rim lip to the wheel well is a tad under 3 3/4 inches, while the front is a tad under 3 1/2 inches (remember, we are talking Hotchkiss rear and stock fronts, the fronts should be .5" lower when I install hotchkiss).

Last edited by rodH; 04-01-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:45 PM
CatastrophZZ

i think that you dropped the front too low joust75, cuz it leaves too much space between the edge of the tire and the mud gaurds. too much gap! minimize it with a skirt or something. IMO!
Old 04-01-2004, 09:19 PM
Jsn350Z

I think they may be tucked in so far because of the offset on his wheels.

joust75, what are your offsets? If they are +22 all around I may hold off on installing my eibachs..
Old 04-02-2004, 12:49 AM
35oZephyR

Damn Jules...your car is dropped! Very noticeable difference and a very aggressive looking stance. Diggin it!

Like Dr. Cold, I've decided on the S-techs too but taking alot of other alternatives into consideration. I'm hoping your B+G will hold up after awhile.

And what Zxsaint stated: Did it correct any issues you mentioned in your TE review?
Old 04-02-2004, 01:23 AM
joust75

Originally posted by CatastrophZZ
i think that you dropped the front too low joust75, cuz it leaves too much space between the edge of the tire and the mud gaurds. too much gap! minimize it with a skirt or something. IMO!

Im gonna KILL you ^^

ZX saint:

#1 my brakes are fine now. When they put in my ss lines they also put an air bubble into the lines. Brakes are awesome.

#2 My car is agile as a hummingbird now. I think more tire gives the road more english on the suspension so the stiffer springs equalized this. The car feels planted but steering inputs are instantly felt. I think sway bars will add to this effect. It is like a totally new car. Driving at speed down a windy road is so much more fun because the car feels like its glued to the road.

#3 Before I put the springs on It seemed my car was back to normal. i dont know if I am being stupid, but it seems as if maybe my ECU was tripping over the diameter of the wheels.
I dont know if this is even possible but my car seems it is as fast as it was before. Did the ECU figure things out or is it just me?
it sounds stupid to say the ECU had anything to do with it, but I definitely noticed a drop in power for a few days after i put on my wheels! i dont know what else it could be.

you are doing the Track to TE37 switch. let me know what happens with you!

BTW ZX Saint, You mentioned going with Teins. Blue Batmobile has these and said handling is improved minimally.
I highly reccomend going with B+B. They wont sag like Eibachs and I for one am tremendously happy with their performance.

ZLand has these too. This convinced me to get them. I didnt want a ghetto drop and saw Zlands car in person. He has had no sag and the drop was just right!

I was considering Tein S TEchs and I am soooo happy I went with B+B. this mod is worth the money and then some.

Last edited by joust75; 04-02-2004 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:41 AM
joust75

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
I think they may be tucked in so far because of the offset on his wheels.

joust75, what are your offsets? If they are +22 all around I may hold off on installing my eibachs..

+29 front +34 rear. The +34 rears yield a nice 2 inch lip. It was that or get 10.5 +22 and I dont like the idea of rolling fenders.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:00 AM
joust75

Originally posted by 35oZephyR
Damn Jules...your car is dropped! Very noticeable difference and a very aggressive looking stance. Diggin it!

Like Dr. Cold, I've decided on the S-techs too but taking alot of other alternatives into consideration. I'm hoping your B+G will hold up after awhile.

And what Zxsaint stated: Did it correct any issues you mentioned in your TE review?
Thanks for the compliments Antoine! i think before you get the S-Techs you need to talk to ZLAnd for a confirmed opinion.

First off the Teins dont improve performance much. The B+Gs do. I would have gotten Eibachs but they settle so much that the drop looks a little ghetto with 19s.

Zland has had his springs for a while with NO settling therefore I knew i could count on B+G to give me a 1 inch drop and no more.

I'm telling you this drop is perfect. No problems with scraping, and handling that i cant stop talking about.

Whichever way you go, call HOPUP because they have Hawt deals on both springs!

<----- this is Jules first time lowering a car. and he loves it!!

CatastropheZZ, The darkness around the wheel obscures the tire making the gap look large when its not. (it took me a while to figure out what you meant) Besides you notice things like gas caps 1/1000 off color, so I am not worried!
Old 04-02-2004, 02:03 AM
joust75

Originally posted by slay2k
Also, I'm concerned about the camber/toe effects being out of spec since the drop is 1".. any input on that ?
I learned through another member that the effects of the slightly off camber after alignment are almost negligeable!
Old 04-02-2004, 02:22 AM
350 PILOT

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joust75
Im gonna KILL you ^^

#3 Before I put the springs on It seemed my car was back to normal. i dont know if I am being stupid, but it seems as if maybe my ECU was tripping over the diameter of the wheels.
I dont know if this is even possible but my car seems it is as fast as it was before. Did the ECU figure things out or is it just me?
it sounds stupid to say the ECU had anything to do with it, but I definitely noticed a drop in power for a few days after i put on my wheels! i dont know what else it could be.

I never considered the ECU thing you just mentioned. I know exactly what you mean. When I got my 19's it almost felt like wearing boots instead of running shoes. I also pealed out more (with wider tires?) finally decided it was due to the different rubber. But after a few weeks it seemed to get much, much better. Thought I was crazy.

Two other things I also got with the 19's were (1) Cross winds pushed me around more on the turnpike and (2) Bounce. Forget about the wind thing, but the bounce sometimes is really bad. Your new spings got rid of the bounce?

Skirts are going on in a couple of weeks that drop the sides maybe 1 1/2". I don't want a lowrider. Can you get those springs in a different size so there is no drop?

Last edited by 350 PILOT; 04-02-2004 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:40 AM
joust75

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 350 PILOT

I never considered the ECU thing you just mentioned. I know exactly what you mean. When I got my 19's it almost felt like wearing boots instead of running shoes. I also pealed out more (with wider tires?) finally decided it was due to the different rubber. But after a few weeks it seemed to get much, much better. Thought I was crazy.

Two other things I also got with the 19's were (1) Cross winds pushed me around more on the turnpike and (2) Bounce. Forget about the wind thing, but the bounce sometimes is really bad. Your new spings got rid of the bounce?

Skirts are going on in a couple of weeks that drop the sides maybe 1 1/2". I don't want a lowrider. Can you get those springs in a different size so there is no drop?
ADRs are kinda heavy. This higher unsprung weight will give you more bounce. This weight could also be sapping your performance. Let me know if your power comes back! Springs will kill this but you need to drop at least 1/2 an inch.

Get the TEin S techs. .7 drop in front, .6 rear. Check Blue Batmobiles thread. The springs ridded him of his bounce!

AFAIK no springs are made that offer extra stiffness with no drop.

Last edited by joust75; 04-02-2004 at 02:42 AM.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:11 AM
DrCold

Hey Joust, do you think you could get some up close pics of the wheels and fender? Its hard to tell how close it is from so far away. Thanks man.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:50 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Originally posted by joust75
you are doing the Track to TE37 switch. let me know what happens with you!
Already did it -- I felt the same way you did, lost power and agility, feels gummy (but with a rough ride) while my track wheels & stock tires felt solid.

Loss of performance is there and i'm not suprised since i'm on S03's @ 285/30/19 in the back. I got a great deal on these wheels+tires off someone so it was well worth it, but i'm going with toyo's next since they're *much* lighter.

I just weighed my stock track wheels with the re040's and they're 45lb. My 19" wheels @ 9.5 and 10.5 +22 are probably at least 2-3lb heavier than the 18" rays -- and I calculated the tires are approx 3lb heavier as well. I believe that 5-6lb unsprung weight on 4 corners well accounts for the difference in performance. As far as the ECU adjusting, I'm pretty sure it was just you getting used to it, as I am now.

Handling is definitely better, but there's definitely more bodyroll because of the center of gravity being raised a bit. I'm riding higher with 19's -- and the drop should fix this.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:46 PM
03Brickyard

Quick Reply: B+G Drop makes Joust Happy