Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Help me get rid of my squeak please....

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 06:08 PM
03 Z for ME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me get rid of my squeak please....

After my last mod, I seem to have develpoed an annoying SQUEAK.

I installed Eibach Pro Kit Springs and Hotchkis Sport Sways at the same time. I can't tell for sure what's squeaking, but I can definitely tell the following...

It's coming from the front end.
It only happens on concrete hiways that aren't all that smooth
it's definitely a metal on metal type of sound. It's nothing like a grind or a crunch, it's most certainly a SQUEAK...

I can't notice the sound when I have the stereo on, (most of the time) but it's annoying to know it's there.

Where should I start? I made sure I properly greased the sways before I installed them, it's my opinion that the noise is from the springs....

Anyone have the same issue or know how to quiet the squeak?

By the way, I LOVE the handling of the Z with the Springs ans sways. It also looks MUCH better with the Eibach drop!
Old 04-10-2004, 07:45 PM
apsilon

IMO it's unlikely to be the springs. The bushings on sways are known to squeak so I'd look at those first. You can lube them with grease but I recommend teflon tape (the stuff plumbers use on taps etc). Just wrap the sway where the bushing sits. Lasts longer than grease etc. May as well do the front and rear while you're at it.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:53 PM
03 Z for ME

Originally posted by apsilon
IMO it's unlikely to be the springs. The bushings on sways are known to squeak so I'd look at those first. You can lube them with grease but I recommend teflon tape (the stuff plumbers use on taps etc). Just wrap the sway where the bushing sits. Lasts longer than grease etc. May as well do the front and rear while you're at it.
You may be right, the reason I had thought it might be the springs though is that the stock springs have some sort of plastic around the firt few coils. I did NOT remove this and put it on the Eibachs. (The instructions I read on the net said they weren't needed...)

Anyone else have a similar SQUEAK?
Old 04-10-2004, 08:23 PM
350ZOWNZ

Originally posted by 03 Z for ME
You may be right, the reason I had thought it might be the springs though is that the stock springs have some sort of plastic around the firt few coils. I did NOT remove this and put it on the Eibachs. (The instructions I read on the net said they weren't needed...)

Anyone else have a similar SQUEAK?
Well i had my springs installed and while the guy was installing them he took the plastic stuff off and put it on the new springs. I asked him what that was and he said he wasnt quiet sure but he thought it was there so the springs dont make noise or something..

So maybe that could be it?