Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Coil Overs? Help Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 03:21 AM
MR-LIGHTWEIGHT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not saying they don't make aftermarket coilovers for m3, nsx, gt3 etc. i'm saying companies like bmw porsche etc. make their cars handle great (street and track) without needing coilovers. OEM suspension of these cars aren't coilovers as far as i know.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:25 AM
Road Warrior

i am still waiting for a reply from z1 performance.....

personally, i have done the spring then shock upgrades....by the time you spend the money to get them dialed in, if you are fortunate enough to find a good combination......you are better off just getting adjustable coilovers. with springs you are limited and they will wear out your stock shocks in a hurry, so you end up having to get aftermarket shocks anyways....why not get coilovers which not only have both, but are designed to work to together as mentioned and gives you adjustability/versatility
Old 04-29-2004, 07:45 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's my own opinion, having not only been on the board a long time, but in the industry a long time. Everyone has their own reasons for buying what they buy - no need to justify it to me (heck, I put food on the table selling parts guys!). It is simply my opinion. Most people's goals with coilovers are to lower the car. the vast majority of people simply pick a rideheight and dampening setting they like, and never change it. Despite this, to some it's a worthwhile upgrade. To other's, it is not necessary, and good set of springs/struts, or often just springs accomplishes what they want at a fraction of the cost. I feel the same way about big break kits honestly, but we sell em nearly every day.

IMHO, the vast majority of people would derive alot more benefit from taking a series of driving schools than they would installing coilovers. I know for myself, I have been racing for a bit over 10 years now, yet my Z is the first set of coilovers I have ever owned. I have just never felt I was a good enough driver to actually warrant their use on my own car - especially a street car. Does that mean there is no place for them? Absolutely not. I just hate seeing people unnecessarily spending money on the car, if I know deep down that it's not what they want or need. I will never talk someone into the more expensive option, unless I truly know (from talking with them) that it's the better choice for what they need.

In any event, yes coilovers need maintenance. Most important I have found is simply keeping them clean. You don't need to get **** with it, but I have found that simply rinising them down with the hose when you wash the car once every week or two helps out alot - especially with protecting the threads, and getting road grime, etc, off, which over time can eat through the rubber boots, seals, etc.

Coilovers also need to be retorqued as well. How odten depends on your driving style, and more importantly, the road conditions. I usually recommend our customer simply go over everything when they do their oil changes. It takes no time at all, and it gives you a chance to catch a potential problem as early as possible. Springs on the other hand are a more install and forget it setup, though over time, they may tend to wear the stock shocks sooner. However, time will be the real indicator on the Z. I know many of our customers are nearing 30k miles on their Z's with several brands of aftermarket springs, and the stock struts so far are doing just fine.

Bilstein does not make shocks for a Z (at least that are offered in this country) as far as I am aware. Only ones out right now are Koni yellows, and Tokicko are coming out this summer IIRC.

Some coilovers weigh significantly less than the stock struts/springs (Cusco Zero 2 Ti's for example). Overall though, weight is pretty similar. Remember, we are not talking about a light car in the first place.

As for the higher end cars mentioned above, you are right, they don't have coilovers from the factory for a couple reasons. 1 is warranty claims. 2 is liability. These are the best examples of road legal cars that also excel at the track. If the firms produced strictly racing versions of these cars, you can bet they would come with coilovers (or without anything at all, allowing 100% user choice).

All in all, there are inherent advantages and disadvantages to each setup - the idea is to weight each against your own needs. This requires that you are honest with yourself about your own habits, driving style, and use for the car. To many, a setup like the Tein Basic is a perfect choice for the Z, as it allows the single adjustment most people want (ride height adjustability), and is very affordable. For others, a harder core setup like the dampening adjustable coilovers are more in step with what they need. For others still, their real reason for buying "x" part is to increase the amount of mods they list in their signature. All are legitimate reasons IMHO mind you - but just because it's legitimate, does not mean it's the best. Much in the way that just because it's sold, does not mean it is worth buying. Remember guys, I own a Z, and have these parts literally at my disposal - if I wanted it on the car, it would be on the car. My goal with any buildup of any car of my own is never the biggest mod list -it's addressing my needs and the car's weak points in a practical manner.

Personally, I have coilovers now on my Z, and I could not be happier. The only reason I have them is because my sponsor (Cusco) insisted on it. I installed them recently, and they are terrific. However, I don;t have plans to track my car, and it literally serves as my daily driver (basically to and from work and some spirited drives on the weekends). However, I do not have any desire nor intention of ever adjusting my rideheight or dampening settings from where they are. So, for all practical purposes, springs (which I had before - RSR), would have been the better choice overall for me, coupled with a set of sway bars (which do make a dramatic difference on the car, and are truly beneficial for guys who like those sprited drives!). Howver in my case, it was more a business decision, though it has worked out very well!

Adam

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 04-29-2004 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:21 AM
MR-LIGHTWEIGHT

Thanks for the reply Z1 performance. It's great to see ppl in the industry and in the forum who do not push certain products because they make more profit on them or because it's very expensive and stylish and its brand xyz but instead they address the problem and find a solution accordingly.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:04 AM
Road Warrior

thank you z1 for that post...very honest and informative

i think the main thing is to figure out what you want to do with the car in the beginning. usually, one would start out with springs and be good to go for the average daily driver...but as time wears on you want more...then you are stuck with replacing the stock struts. so, IMO, why not just get the best of both worlds right off the bat with coilovers. this way, you can grow into them so to speak. anyways, its all about what you want to do with the car as in now and in the future....peace out
Old 04-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I hear you Road Warrior- that is certainly one approach you can take towards it as well. It's to all of our benefits that there is such an array of products out there, as it allows us to pick and choose according to needs, wants and most importantly, budgets
Old 04-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Road Warrior

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
It's to all of our benefits that there is such an array of products out there, as it allows us to pick and choose according to needs, wants and most importantly, budgets
that is well said....nice website btw
Old 04-29-2004, 02:30 PM
bixby

You guys are a wealth of knowledge. I appreciate everyones input.

I absolutely need to take a ride to deside. One other factor for me is I really don't want to lower the car which, at least all the springs I've seen, do. The coilovers are from 0" to 3 or 4" depending on brand correct?

Don't get me wrong, If I have to lower the car up to an inch to get the ride I want then so be it. I like the look but hate bottoming out in the drive way & such.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

any coilover is going to lower the car a bit....the least drop is (I';d have to do some research on this) in the -.5 inch range give or take.

Road Warrior - thanks!
Old 05-05-2004, 10:00 AM
GY-Z

just wondering if a coilover(not Ti or aliminum ) needs to be reoil to prevent rust?
my mechenics told me that it does, just want to make sure.
Thanks
Old 05-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

a light coating of WD40 every now and again won't hurt, thats for sure. many of the newer ones are actually coated to prevent rusting.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:51 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
a light coating of WD40 every now and again won't hurt, thats for sure. many of the newer ones are actually coated to prevent rusting.
any recomendation for how long should i be coating this>?