Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Coil Overs? Help Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 10:04 AM
bixby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coil Overs? Help Please!!

Okay, Went for a drive this weekend and my wife did nothing but complain about the ride. I mentioned that a I thought a set of coil overs would improve the ride substantially and she said "GET THEM!". I have just a few questions though:

1. What exactly are they?
2. Do they replace my existing suspension?
3. Who makes the best ones?
4. How much are they?
5. Who can/should install them & how much?
6. How reliable are they?
7. How do you adjust them?
8. Will they reduce or improve handling performance?
9. Do I need any other upgrades or mod's?

Thanks for the assistance!

David
Old 04-12-2004, 12:14 PM
MrDemon

u are taking the p1$$ right?

1: what are they? if you dont know u don't need em nuff said.

D
Old 04-12-2004, 12:31 PM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'll second this request

Though I do have a decent idea of what the coil overs will do, I am at a loss when trying to make a selection.

This will be my next mod I think... probably sometime toward the beginning of summer. Since I can't do a forum search right now, how about some opinions on Nismo vs JIC vs TIEN vs whatever else is out there.

What's best and why, in your opinion?
Old 04-12-2004, 12:34 PM
lanzzor

Tein Basics for around $700 are just hard to beat....They ride much better than stock and stop the "Bounce"...They are also adjustable...
Old 04-12-2004, 12:52 PM
bixby

Originally posted by MrDemon
u are taking the p1$$ right?

1: what are they? if you dont know u don't need em nuff said.

D
Gee, thanks for THOSE words of wisdom. Your 1st post to this forum & you've already given so much.

If you can't give me an answer then why did you respond to my thread?

Everyone else, Thank you for the info so far. Greatly appreciated.

Last edited by bixby; 04-12-2004 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:46 PM
Trent@MVP

Tein is more of an entry coilover. They have some great kits as have already been mentioned with the Basic kit and they also offer some more race specific kits too.

JIC also makes them as well. JIC has more of a high end cost, but you definitely get what you pay for with them. They make some great kits and offer quite a variety depending on your needs.

Last but certainly not least, is my favorite, the HKS Coilover setup. By far my preference with any car. They make hands down, some of the best off the shelf coilover kits out there. Both of our race cars, both owners cars, my car, and two other employees cars here all use them. They are a fantastic setup. Never once have we had a warranty or replacement issue with them and all our customers have nothing but great things to say about them.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:30 PM
ElvishasaZ

Originally posted by Trent@MVP
Tein is more of an entry coilover. They have some great kits as have already been mentioned with the Basic kit and they also offer some more race specific kits too.

JIC also makes them as well. JIC has more of a high end cost, but you definitely get what you pay for with them. They make some great kits and offer quite a variety depending on your needs.

Last but certainly not least, is my favorite, the HKS Coilover setup. By far my preference with any car. They make hands down, some of the best off the shelf coilover kits out there. Both of our race cars, both owners cars, my car, and two other employees cars here all use them. They are a fantastic setup. Never once have we had a warranty or replacement issue with them and all our customers have nothing but great things to say about them.
which hks coilovers are you talking about and are they adjustable? And who sells them at a decent rate ?
Old 04-13-2004, 04:45 PM
bixby

Originally posted by Trent@MVP

Okay, I looked at the TEIN flex 16 pos with an add on unit that lets you adjust from the drivers seat. Are these still "entry level"? Kinda price (around 2,100 with the adjusting device). I'll take a look at the HKS setup as well. I still have a lot of unanswered questions though. One that I forgot is; Does it have any effect on VDC?

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2004, 11:06 PM
GY-Z

Default Re: Coil Overs? Help Please!!

Originally posted by bixby
Okay, Went for a drive this weekend and my wife did nothing but complain about the ride. I mentioned that a I thought a set of coil overs would improve the ride substantially and she said "GET THEM!". I have just a few questions though:

1. What exactly are they?
2. Do they replace my existing suspension?
3. Who makes the best ones?
4. How much are they?
5. Who can/should install them & how much?
6. How reliable are they?
7. How do you adjust them?
8. Will they reduce or improve handling performance?
9. Do I need any other upgrades or mod's?

Thanks for the assistance!

David
1.most of them are basically suspensions with adjustable height and spring rate.
2.dont get wat ur asking
3.can't answer this question and there is no certain answer.but i personally like zeal's.(from a performance point of view)
4.the price verys.
5.most of shops can do that, the cost depends.
6.this one is pretty interesting, most of them should be as reliable as stock suspension?haha(dono how to answer)
8. hard to say, but most of them improves handling.
9.if u got a whole setz of coil over.that should be the only thing u need.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:50 AM
whatever
Veteran

9. maybe some sway bars.

anyways, any aftermarket suspension upgrade (coil over, springs, shocks, etc.) should improve from stock. Though you have to be careful on what your expectation are for your suspension modification. Many of the aforemention brands' higher end models are gear more for performance than comfort. I heard far too many stories of people getting some high end coil-overs thinking that the ride will improve but in reality, the ride was even harsher then the stock, but it did improve the handling. The Tein CS or Flex with EDFC are good compromise considering that you can adjust the damper on the fly inside instead of getting out and adjusting them. Even at the softest setting for the Tein Flex, the ride is still stiffer than the stock. The best way to see how each suspension works is try to get a ride in someone's car with it done to see if you like it or not.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:22 AM
speedform

I agree with 'whatever'. Find some of the shops in your area that sell said products (Tein, JIC, HKS, etc.) and ask for a demo ride. That said I've driven a JIC FLT2 equipped Z and it rode pretty stiff. Great for the track (where I drove it) not so much on the street. Lately I've been hearing great things about the HKS Hypermax II setup but have yet to try them out.
a side note: I've had great success staying ahead of other highly tuned Z's with expensive coilover setups on the track. Me: I'm just running Eibach 's spring and swaybar setup. I have yet to find a reason to throw a lot a green at a car that is already set up beautifully. But that's just me. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2004, 08:54 AM
bixby

Thanks everyone! Lots of good info.

So even with the TEIN's 16 settings It may not ride soft enough for my wife?

I like the idea of a test ride. Hopefully I'll be able to do that. I've done the spring/strut upgrade on my Z31 (eibach/tokico) and produced very little body roll and a much stiffer ride, which is what I was going for but my wife never rides in that car.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:04 AM
Trent@MVP

bixby, unfortunately just about any coilover at their softest setting is probably going to be stiffer than your current setup. If your wife doesn't like the ride now, she probably will hate it afterwards.

Also note: The Tein Flex with the EDFC is only dampening adjustable from inside the car. You can not raise and lower the car with the EDFC. You still adjust height the same way you do on all the other Tein coilovers.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:13 AM
lanzzor

My tein basics ride much better than stock...They are softer than the softest settings on the tein flex....
Old 04-14-2004, 09:28 AM
bixby

Okay, so I understand the EDFC deal but does the hight adjustment work in conjunction with the dampening and overall feel or is it just a look thing?

It sounds like a test ride is a must in order for me to make a choice.

Any bay area Z's with coilovers out there? I'd like a ride in your car please!
Old 04-14-2004, 09:36 AM
whatever
Veteran

Originally posted by bixby
Thanks everyone! Lots of good info.

So even with the TEIN's 16 settings It may not ride soft enough for my wife?

I like the idea of a test ride. Hopefully I'll be able to do that. I've done the spring/strut upgrade on my Z31 (eibach/tokico) and produced very little body roll and a much stiffer ride, which is what I was going for but my wife never rides in that car.
a shameless plug
if you come out to the Hearst Castle meet, I'm sure some of the members wouldn't mind giving you a ride. I know there should be a Tein Basic, Tein Flex with EDFC, JIC FLT2, Eibach spring only, etc...
Old 04-14-2004, 09:41 AM
bixby

Originally posted by whatever
a shameless plug
if you come out to the Hearst Castle meet, I'm sure some of the members wouldn't mind giving you a ride. I know there should be a Tein Basic, Tein Flex with EDFC, JIC FLT2, Eibach spring only, etc...
I wish I could but the timing is off for me. I'm booked up pretty much every weekend for the next 3 months.

I've been wanting to go on a meet for some time now. Sounds like I've got to try & get that Napa run going again huh.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:56 AM
failsafe
....for your health

Bixby- I have the Tein Flex setup. On the softest setting they are a little stiffer than stock- but the "infamous bounce" of the stock suspension is gone.
I'm not sure if your wife is complaining about the suspension being to firm or if it's the bounce issue that she doesn't like. Almost any coilover setup will remedy the bounce (as will most springs). But if you're wife is hoping for a luxury ride a la Mercedes, Lexus etc then she will probably be disappionted with any setup you go with.
If we ever meet up at one of the bay area meets I can take you for a spin in my car.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:00 AM
mcduck

Also note: The Tein Flex with the EDFC is only dampening adjustable from inside the car. You can not raise and lower the car with the EDFC. You still adjust height the same way you do on all the other Tein coilovers.
Which kits allow you to adjust ride height from inside the car?

I was originally just looking at springs and sways, but started considering coil overs so I could drive and adjust my car's ride height to clear road obstacles (speed bumps, angled drives, etc). The Nismo front end already sits pretty low and lowering the car more means I risk lots of scrapping if I can't raise the car an inch or two when it is needed.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:26 AM
bixby

Originally posted by failsafe
Bixby- I have the Tein Flex setup. On the softest setting they are a little stiffer than stock- but the "infamous bounce" of the stock suspension is gone.
I'm not sure if your wife is complaining about the suspension being to firm or if it's the bounce issue that she doesn't like. Almost any coilover setup will remedy the bounce (as will most springs). But if you're wife is hoping for a luxury ride a la Mercedes, Lexus etc then she will probably be disappionted with any setup you go with.
If we ever meet up at one of the bay area meets I can take you for a spin in my car.
I think her complaint is really the bounce. She loves driving/riding in the Z32 & it has some pretty "stiff" suspension. Since she has given me the "green light" to remedy it, I'd like to take advantage of the situation & get the best possible upgrade.

Quick Reply: Coil Overs? Help Please!!