Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Nismo S-Tune < VNH

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 03:07 PM
shortcut3d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Nismo S-Tune < VNH

I recently had the dealer install the entire S-tune package (Nismo S-tune coilovers, sway bars, and exhaust). Plus, I had the aero package installed (OEM front chin deflector and spoiler).

I have not had a chance to push the S-tune suspension; therefore will not comment on its track ability.

The point of this review is to comment on Vehicle Noise Harshness.

Immediately after taking delivery of my 350Z I was shocked with the VNH. I previously drove an IS300 5MT, which had stiff suspension for a sport sedan. The IS300 would shrug off freeway seam joints and potholes. Occupants would feel the bump and hear a thud. Overall experience was not concerning.

However, the 350Z exhibited poor road manners. I was under the impression that this was a result of driving a pure sports car with stiff chassis and stiffer suspension. Upon critical thinking and research, I came to the conclusion this was a poor excuse. First, stiffer frame and chassis should result in less VNH because the body panels and interior will flex less. Stiff chassis will allow the suspension to work more efficiently. Second, properly vavled dampers and matched springs should not deliver SHARP jolts to the passenger compartment.

The correct solution for Nissan engineers was sitting with NISMO. I cannot praise the NISMO S-tune suspension enough for its ride. With the S-tune suspension the car transmits less extraneous shock into the passenger cabin. The VNH is also greatly reduced. Sharp jolts were transformed into thuds. Concerning cracking and creaking noise is now gone with the S-tune suspension. Plus, extra body motion from uneven pavement is gone. Poorly maintained road only present themselves as louder not harsh rattling.

Clearly, the NISMO S-tune suspension is better engineered. The valving of the shocks is better and spring rates are appropriately matched. Compression and rebound are much more controlled than stock suspension. The addition of the sway bars means less fatigue for the driver. Turn-in is enhanced and body roll is reduced for more responsive and easier steering.

Exhaust. The NISMO exhaust is louder than factory exhaust when accelerating below 3500RPM. The tone is deeper and smoother. In my opinion after 3500RPM the exhaust is more acceptable tone and pitch than the OEM system. The car runs smoother at higher RPMS. Again, NISMO S-tune line has decrease VNH, but this time only over 3500RPM.

Conclusion. The NISMO S-tune package is worth the additional cost. It maintains manufacturer warranty, has superior build quality and craftsmanship, has superior engineering, and has superior real world performance benefits. Not to mention better overall visual appearance with a more aggressive stance and line complimenting exhaust tips.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:01 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like it when people review things like you have, your imput is appreciated. Only thing and this is a nit pick, isn't it noise vibration and harshness NVH.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:41 AM
shortcut3d

Could be NVH, but I have always heard VNH. I guess thats what all the WRX guys call it. Anyway, its the same point. Less vibration and noise with the S-tunes.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:49 AM
scubasteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Nismo S-Tune < VNH

[QUOTE
Conclusion. The NISMO S-tune package is worth the additional cost. It maintains manufacturer warranty........ [/QUOTE]

Just found out from NNA that the will not cover the feathering issue after installing my S-Tune suspension!!!! I will deifnately be pursuing this further!
Old 05-28-2004, 11:25 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Well written review. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2004, 11:48 AM
shortcut3d

Originally posted by scubasteve
[QUOTE
Conclusion. The NISMO S-tune package is worth the additional cost. It maintains manufacturer warranty........

Just found out from NNA that the will not cover the feathering issue after installing my S-Tune suspension!!!! I will deifnately be pursuing this further!
[/QUOTE]

Search the repairs forum. Someone posted the TSB that describes how Nissan addresses NISMO S-tune parts with regard to the tire growl / feathering TSB. Nissan will even pay for tires you had replaced on Nismo rims.

The S-tune suspension should not cause tire feathering in the future. I was told the new dampening of the S-tunes correct the problem.

Nissan does not want to admit new shocks correct the TSB because then they would have to recall all 2003 - 2004 Z and replace the shocks. Ouch! They are sticking to it being an alignment issue. From experience, 04s once aligned do not have the issue return.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:35 PM
TheLex

Hey, great write up! Thanks!!!

FWIW, Nissan is apparently backing away from warranty coverage on Nismo S-tune. See this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=75743

I would think that anyone who shelled out extra big bucks for the promise of factory support is going to be really really sore.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:16 PM
doc3763

Nissan does not want to admit new shocks correct the TSB because then they would have to recall all 2003 - 2004 Z and replace the shocks. Ouch! They are sticking to it being an alignment issue. From experience, 04s once aligned do not have the issue return. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have had 2 alignments on my '04 and the issue has returned. Only at roughly 1500 miles after alignment.