Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

proper procedures for lifting all 4 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 10:57 PM
LeMansZCa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proper procedures for lifting all 4 wheels

So... i bought a decent husky floor jack and 4 stands and the plastic block thang from JC whitney... i did search in the forum and found the location for lift oint and jack placement... saw some worries about lifting $30K car on 4 wheels on 4 stand...

I just want to paint my break caliper using the G2 system... the paint hardens in 30 min after mixing according to the instruction...
and my local garage wanted $160 to do the job....

Is it worth it to get the shop to use a real lift and have them paint it....
or
do it myself... but never put a $30k car on 4 jack stand before...

so.. what is the procedure for lifting all 4 tires off the ground without having a heart attack???

If i use the jack point in the front center of the car, does that lift up both side on the front?i did notice there isn't enough room to work the jack handle...or does that only lift up one side of the car...?? same question on the lifting pt on the back...

any suggestions are appreciated!!! Thanks!
Old 05-25-2004, 06:08 AM
Audito350Z

I put my Track model up on 4 jack stands almost every other weekend... how is lifting the car and putting it on jacks gonna hurt it?

There is no lifting point in the front center of the car (or the back, for that matter). If you look under the side of the car, you will see where the jack is meant to go. You can lift one side of the car from this one location. Stick the head of the jack under the side of the car, just behind the wheel opening.

Once you have the car lifted, you will see where the lower control arms attach to the underside of the car... this is where I put the jack stands, front and rear.

Go do the same on the other side and you are done.

Don't forget to loosen the lugnuts before you lift the car... unless you are using an impact wrench to remove them.

PeteH
Old 05-25-2004, 07:03 AM
arizzee

Default Re: proper procedures for lifting all 4 wheels

Originally posted by LeMansZCa
So... i bought a decent husky floor jack and 4 stands and the plastic block thang from JC whitney... i did search in the forum and found the location for lift oint and jack placement... saw some worries about lifting $30K car on 4 wheels on 4 stand...

I just want to paint my break caliper using the G2 system... the paint hardens in 30 min after mixing according to the instruction...
and my local garage wanted $160 to do the job....

Is it worth it to get the shop to use a real lift and have them paint it....
or
do it myself... but never put a $30k car on 4 jack stand before...

so.. what is the procedure for lifting all 4 tires off the ground without having a heart attack???

If i use the jack point in the front center of the car, does that lift up both side on the front?i did notice there isn't enough room to work the jack handle...or does that only lift up one side of the car...?? same question on the lifting pt on the back...

any suggestions are appreciated!!! Thanks!
According to the service manual, there are two floor jack lift points: For the rear, use the differential case. Be sure to use the flat spot and not on the cover. In the front (and this is hard to describe) there's a 2" dimple in the center line of the front axle. I try sending you a .pdf of the service manual diagrams. This will also show you where to place your jackstands ( I would not use suspension attachment points).

As far as the low clearance goes, I drive the onto 2x6 planks to give enough room for the floor jack in the front. Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:44 AM
D_Nyholm

What arizee said. WHat I do is drive up on my ramps, then jack the car up and put the jack stands under it. YOu can get to the rear jack point without lifting the car at all first.

BTW, those jack points will lift both sides of the car, not just one.