Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Custom made 35 mm Spacers. bad Idea? need to know ASAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Daewoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom made 35 mm Spacers. bad Idea? need to know ASAP!!!

Hey guys I just spoke with a Fearless Fred Goeske (big drag racer from the 60-70s. and he is willing to make me a set of 35 mm hub cenetered aluminum spacers.

That would be really close to the size I need to fake the bigger wheel for my wide body.

What are the negatives associated with running 35mm as aposed to 20 mm. I mean really what does extra 1/2 in do. I would be running my car like this for about 100 days (time needed to make custom wheels.

Please advise me of the negatives.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 11:22 AM
adanande

um spacers suck, its a new car screw it. Unless your gonna be runing around with a widebody and skinny wheels that even sucks more. By the way what widebody kti are you usind and if it is custom could you get me a deal or refer me to the guy, i live in California. I really want a whidebody kit. UHH basically to answer your question istill would not us spacers on and if i did i would drive as if i had four doughnuts. I know it seems a little rash but you never know, they the rotor bolts have to be changed and the z has a lot of tourque and i would not have faith in a spacer, also the spacer and the sheel coud rotate with respect to each other but still be connected to the bold causing a shake while your drive, if this persists fame or suspension pieces might bend due to uneven/ unintended force distribution throughout the body and supension of the car and even motor mounts. If motor mounts are damaged then response fades and or leaves, car become sloww and eventually tranny and engine are out of sync unless they both have equally dapaged mounting hardware whiich is almost out of the question due to their differential positioning withing the chassis( is that speeled right?)

peace and don't get spacer they are not safe YOU dount want you wheels falling off at 80 mph and spinning into a retaining wall under a freeway bridge then bounching off unto the path of an 18 wheeler and die do you. Sorry i had to scare you because i love oyu and that almost happened to me once but it was after an onramp and had nothing to do with spacers just bad oversteer predicion.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:47 PM
HanZolo

Damn Adanande, yourpostaresooannoyingtoreadThankGodthereisanignorelist!!..!

Daewoo, I hope you plan on getting some longer studs for those spacers. The lugs nuts will not have much to grab onto with a 1.37" spacer.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:55 AM
Daewoo

Adanande -- thanks for the horror story. Dude I am on the other side of the country sorry. I am installing a Veilside 3 wide body kit.

HanZolo - these are hub centered spacers with extended studs.

Can anyone else offer more insight. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:05 AM
Topics II

I run 18mm bolt on style spacers on my Z. No problem. I have hit rumble strips hard enough to fold the lip over on my racing harts, and the spacers are totally fine. Nothing wrong with running bolt on spacers. just a lil less lip, and a lil bit of weight.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:12 AM
speedform

You may have some added wear on the wheel bearings. I guess as long as your not pounding the hell outta' them (track events, etc.) they should be ok.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:34 AM
Daewoo

thanks guys I think I will give them a try. if I F*** something up I will report back.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:53 AM
Daewoo

Question - If I put the wheel on (with no tire) and there is about 2 inches of space btwn the wheel and the outer wheel well. How much will the tire stick out from the wheel? I am going with 305s or 295. I am guessing about 1/2 inch so I am going to get 35 mm spacers.

Thoughts?
Old 06-09-2004, 12:02 AM
bastard

The spacers that bolt on to your stock lugs and then supply their own lugs are probably fine as long as they're hub centered on both the hub and wheel side. The cheap ones at auto parts stores that just get sandwiched between the wheel and hub are a very, very, very , ... , very bad idea. Instead of the hub center holding the weight of the car, the lugs now have to. This greatly weakens the whole assembly, as the shear strength for bolts is nowhere near what the tensile strength is.

Also, do not forget that a good rule of thumb is to have AT LEAST the width of the stud inside the lugnut. I would personally want a hell of a lot more, as that's near the ragged edge. Why do you think the NHRA has rules about stud length? I think they want something like an inch sticking out past the lugnut.

My advice: run the stock stuff until you get your custom wheels; losing a wheel while driving is a bad deal (understatement).