Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Nissan Announcement To Fix "roaring Sound" Issue Made By Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 03:42 AM
naptime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The roaring of the tires was getting too much to handle so I took my car in yesterday to have it checked and I was told that I would be getting new tires. The dealer will align it also and correct the camber all at no cost. The guy told me that they will have the toe-out to the max(?) I guess to compensate for the cupping on the outside of the tires. The tires will have the directional arrows pointing to the front of the vehicle instead of how it came from the factory(arrow pointing towards the rear). Bridgestone/Firestone is only releasing the tires ONLY to NISSAN owners -so anyone that's not a nissan owner and they want the potenzas of the same size/ spec, they can't get it. They CAN get it but it's on backorder(several months). Z owners will get it 3-4days.
I have almost 14,000 miles on my '03.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:35 AM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by naptime
The roaring of the tires was getting too much to handle so I took my car in yesterday to have it checked and I was told that I would be getting new tires. The dealer will align it also and correct the camber all at no cost. The guy told me that they will have the toe-out to the max(?) I guess to compensate for the cupping on the outside of the tires. The tires will have the directional arrows pointing to the front of the vehicle instead of how it came from the factory(arrow pointing towards the rear).

Are you sure about all that? First of all, there is no camber adjustment to be made, unless they are putting on aftermarket adjustable control arms at their cost. Also, the toe should be set
in , not out. Toe out was what they initially blamed the feathering problem on. If they do toe it out, it will move the feathering from the outside to the inside of the tires, but it will not eliminate it. And as far as the tire directional arrows go, they need to be oriented with the actual forward rotation of the tire. So if the arrow is at the top of the tire, it should be pointed to the front. Running the tires in reverse rotation would not be good, they are not designed to work properly that way.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Zlife-000

Yeah I agree with him.

Runing direction tires the reverse way...yeah thats probably the most ubsurde thing I have heard about this entire issue. LOL
Old 06-13-2004, 12:02 PM
jbum

people... can i ask exactly what is the problem with the Z?

the toe is out too much and causes excessive road noise and tire wear? some people where seem to have toe neutral settings. don't most sports cars have toe out for handling though?
Old 06-14-2004, 05:59 AM
Zlife-000

Originally posted by jbum
people... can i ask exactly what is the problem with the Z?

the toe is out too much and causes excessive road noise and tire wear? some people where seem to have toe neutral settings. don't most sports cars have toe out for handling though?
Please read this...it explains everything on who it effects and what they are going to do about it. But this only applies to 2003's in the bulletin..I have a 2004 Track Z and I do experiece tire roar.
To my knowledge this does not effect G35's (You bastards ). Anyone feel free to correct me on the G thing because, I am not positive on that.

Nissan Service Bulletin
Old 06-14-2004, 06:06 AM
Zlife-000

Default 2004 Roar

Oh and wish me luck guys, my car is going in for tire roar service here soon at 6000 miles. I will push for news tires...they better put new tires on it, those bastards....I really do not feel comfortable with the procedure on this fix...I mean i do but I don't. Basically I don't believe this will fix it for those us who have this problem. I believe this to be something physically wrong with they suspension geometry and can be only fixed with a replacement part, not bringing in the damn toe. Sorry if I am not convinced but hell I will get free tires for life if they don't want to do the right thing...its fine by me.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:53 AM
naptime

8 days later and I'm still waiting for my damn tires to come in. The dealer hasn't called to tell me that they've come in. Maybe I need to call those bastids!
Old 06-17-2004, 04:07 AM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

let me tell you guys my experience with tire feathering.

few months ago at just over18k miles i went in to the local nissan dealer because I discovered my car's feathering one day when I parked my car without straighting the wheel. anyways I then came on this forum and saw wow there are plenty of others with the same problem and apparently at that time only a fortunate few got their tires replaced and close to none have had their alignment issues resolved. well when i first pulled up to the service station the guy came out, staring at me funny *maybe because i'm in my early 20s. i mentioned all of the above and here's my reply,

"There are a lot of Z's that have been having this problem. But because you are over the 18k limit we cannot replace the tires."

at that time the TSB wasn't announced and 18k seemed to be the magic number so I was not too upset about it. but assuming that the alignment issue is a defect I requested to have my car realigned to proper specs... this is when i got pretty upset. the guys says very rudely,

"Well your mileage is over the 18k as i said so therefore we will have to charge you for the alignment"

basically i was turned down without reguard of customer satisfaction. naturally i became fustrated and left the dealership. ever since then I have not been back to another dealership for this problem and I just found out about the TSB and furthermore I am now at around 22k miles which is over the 21k specified on the TSB. I'll be happy for them to cut me a check for partical credit.

but i really do not understand how a alignment issue has to do with mileage driven. while at the same time i was never noticed personally by Nissan and I had to visit the internet to find a resolution. I think replacements are replacements. Everyone should get the same amount of reinbursments as we are all Nissan customers whom which bought their product out of faith of the company's name.