Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

My New 22" SPINNERS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 07:21 AM
zeroday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by syf0n
Have any of you guys heard of Axis having a reputation for making cheap (low quality) wheels? Some ricer on another one of my forums made a really harsh comment about the quality of these wheels being LOW. I was under the impression that Axis made good wheels and stood behind them, and that they have been moving up in the world in terms of quality (approaching Volk). The Hiros seem to be pretty light to me, forged, and are really high quality considering a lot of the utter ricer rubbish I have seen around...

Please enlighten me. Zeroday, what do you think? Are these things Volk quality? I was able to compare my wheels to a set of TE37 and I didn't see any real differences...
well you said it yourself..."some ricer said". the quality of the rims is excellent...but they are not forged. is the quality up to par with volks?; simply because they arent forged i'd say no. but for a cast rim the quality is excellent. send the link to the ricer comment btw..i want to see it.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:21 AM
syf0n

It is a private forum you have to be accepted to. I was under the impression these wheels were forged, oh well. Too bad Volk doesn't make 5-spokes! I woulda bought them in a heartbeat.

Here is what the guy said on the other forum...it pissed me off for a number of reasons but I just got the impression that he didn't think too highly of Axis wheels.

Axis rims?! You have all this money, and you bought a company famed for quality knock offs?
I just ordered a pair of Volk Racing Seamless Forged-Challenge rims, but then again I dont believe in putting anything less than the best on my cars.
Sorry, Im just really biased of nothing but the best, and I just thought that you would have nothing but the best on your car because you are driving one of the best on the market.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:36 AM
zeroday

It is a private forum you have to be accepted to. I was under the impression these wheels were forged, oh well. Too bad Volk doesn't make 5-spokes! I woulda bought them in a heartbeat.

Here is what the guy said on the other forum...it pissed me off for a number of reasons but I just got the impression that he didn't think too highly of Axis wheels.
volk does make 5 spokes..gtc's and sf challenges...but their style is too 'busy' for my taste. when it comes to rims i look for simplicity in design.

that guy sounds like a deuche bag so i wouldnt take his comments too seriously. i assume he drives a ferrari since he only buys 'the best of the best' ? I think axis rims are appropriate rims for the z when you consider how much the car costs. not the best, but def. good enough IMO.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:58 AM
SangWL

Originally posted by zeroday
volk does make 5 spokes..gtc's and sf challenges...but their style is too 'busy' for my taste. when it comes to rims i look for simplicity in design.

that guy sounds like a deuche bag so i wouldnt take his comments too seriously. i assume he drives a ferrari since he only buys 'the best of the best' ? I think axis rims are appropriate rims for the z when you consider how much the car costs. not the best, but def. good enough IMO.
i agree, wheels are wheels, they don't design and produce them if they aren't strong enough for cautious daily driving. Sure weight and specs are important, but i bet 2 % of the z owners here make driving a career.

I work hard everyday, i bought the Z cause i love the tradition and the aesthetics of the car. Sure its fast for stock and its suspension is bar none,

what i'm trying to say is that i agree the guy that commented AXIS wheels. Keep it to yourself, wow you got volks, imo volks are starting to get old, hiro's are brand new. Axis's quality is great, i have had 4 sets now and i loved everyone of them.

Don't bash on wheels that people choose, even though some are really dumb (spinners <--wtf)

i love axis, great choice on wheels man

sang
Old 06-16-2004, 11:31 AM
kzshin

Axis is famous for making knock-off wheels (they copied other company's design). However, their wheels's qualities are pretty goddamong knock-offs. The first wheels they released is actually copy of ADVAN touring. They also copied many designs from various Japanese rims.

Close to Volk/RAY ???? No way. Volk is one of the top wheel makers in Japan. Axis is not even close to 5 Zigen. Volk's wheels has been used for professional racing thru out of world, so does Enkie, Advan, Works, SSR...etc.
When was last time you see a professional racing team use Axis wheels on track in JGTC, WRC, F1, INDY, GP, JAPANESE GP, or even D1 GP drifting.

I am not trying to make harsh comments, but the fact is Axis is a wheel company that makes Knock-off aftermarket wheels, kinda like Velox, and such. If I remebered correctly most of their wheels are made in South East Asia. This is also another reason why their wheels are cheaper.

I am not trying to put you down, but since you asked, I just want to be honest with answer. However, Axis's qualities is pretty good for Knock-offs.

And what's most important is that you like it.

Last edited by kzshin; 06-16-2004 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:22 PM
syf0n

Originally posted by zeroday

Yeah what I meant by 5-spoke was a 5-spoke TE37 or a flat-spoked GTC or something...most volk wheels are too damned busy for my tastes.

I don't have a problem with any of these companies, if they made downright crappy wheels they wouldn't get any service on this forum. I just think it is a bit harsh to rag the crap out of them because they are a newer company or because they borrow design elements from other companies. Every design is inspired by another to one extent or another, and I (as a designer myself) have never looked at a set of Axis wheels and thought "wow those are a complete and utter ripoff".

I guess I just didn't think Axis had a bad rep, or rather that they were at least a step above companies known for blatantly knocking off other brands and making REALLY low quality stuff, such as Motegi.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:46 PM
kzshin

I didn't said AXIS make crappy wheels, but it is well known fact that they can't compare to VOLKS, ENKEI, WORK, SSR, ADVAN, 5 Zigen....etc.

And the fact is, when you inspired, that means you use similare design, but you make some noticeable changes with your own design. However, when you use the exact same design, it is copy, and that's what Axis does.

I have no problem with the company been new, there was a time when Volk was new too, but you don't see them copy other people's rims.

As I said earlier, I am not here to rag the crap out your wheels or AXIS. I am just here to tell the truth, and AXIS does make knock off quality wheel. However, whatever makes you happy is the most important.

Now Motegi is really bad.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:20 AM
ch@mp

those looks tasty, btw what type of spoiler is that? exactly the ones i want, kinda reminds me of the ones i see on celicas (don't mean to offend you btw) peace!
Old 06-21-2004, 10:18 AM
syf0n

It is a NISMO replica spoiler of some sort. The guy I bought the car from already had it installed. I'm thinking of removing it, actually...waiting for the legit NISMO version to come out...
Old 06-21-2004, 04:50 PM
Agop
Banned

Default Re: My New 22" SPINNERS!!!

HAH! I bet you guys thought I was another Rollin' Soldier.

Well, I hate to dissapoint, but I don't have spinners. I do, however, have a nice set of 19" Anthracite Axis Hiros

I took some photos today, yet again utilizing the video camera as I don't have a still camera. The pictures are supposedly 2 or 3MP but the 720x480 part is starting to irritate me.

The tires are Toyo Proxes T1-S. They have much better wet traction than the RE-040s and also give much more audible warning before they let go of the pavement. I haven't had a lot of opportunity to drive in the dry yet but I do not think they hold the road quite as well as the stock tires, which had a much lower treadwear rating.

Supposedly we are using a nice DSLR to take good photos of this car and an S2000 this week or weekend. If any of those photos come out good I will post them.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Richard
YOUR SEATS AND WHEELS LOOK GREAT
MAY I ASK WERE YOU BOUGHT YOUR WHEELS?
AND ALSO YOUR SEATS?
Old 06-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Edretti

haha...I almost fell for it! Looks schweet!!!
Old 06-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Ruhtra

Originally posted by EnthuZiastDrive
YOU SAID SPINNERS!! I WANT SPINNERS!!!! :-)
Lol good thing he didnt go that route , nice wheels
Old 06-21-2004, 10:02 PM
syf0n

Default Re: Re: My New 22" SPINNERS!!!

Originally posted by Agop
YOUR SEATS AND WHEELS LOOK GREAT
MAY I ASK WERE YOU BOUGHT YOUR WHEELS?
AND ALSO YOUR SEATS?
SURE THING

I bought the wheels from wheelstudio.com and the seats from subesports.com ... good luck!
Old 06-22-2004, 06:54 AM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

syfOn,

i was just breezy thru this thread and notice the words, "as a designer myself". What kind of designer are your or what do you exactly design?

Zquicksilver

ps i like your axis rims, whether they were inspired by another or not...
Old 06-22-2004, 08:47 AM
syf0n

quicksilver,

I am a graphic and broadcast designer. I also work in video...