Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

SSR vs. SSW (TireRack ) Professor SP1

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 08:39 PM
ProfessorKan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSR vs. SSW (TireRack ) Professor SP1

Doing my homework on the SP1's and came upon some info I thought I'd might share.

SSR (Speed Star Racing) from Japan is not the same as SSW (Speed Star Wheel) from Tirerack

From the E46Fanatics
Gary@Tirerack

The SSW wheels are made by SSR, but are not forged nor do they have a clearcoated finish. More :

SSR (Speed Star Racing) versus SSW (Speed Star Wheel)

The SSW line is not manufactured using the Semi-Solid Forging (SSF) process that all of our previous SSR designs used. The SSW wheels do not offer the Clear Coat finish that we specified for the SSR line for use in the US market. SSW wheels have an anodized wheel lip that is easier to damage than the clear coat finish we are used to. Because of this, no finish warranty is offered with the SSW line.
Thats why the specs and offsets shown at SSR's website is not available by SSW on Tirerack. Also SSR wheels always offer color option available for their rims, this is not available for SSW.

I'm not what percentage of this is really made by Speed Star Racing of Japan as many companies buy existing molds and pays a loyalty fee for the rights to produce these rims, using a different process and thus offering a better price.

Just like Racing Hart vs. RH / RH EVO. Two totally diffrent companies, one is made by Hart Company and the other is made by Dazz respectively.

Just an FYI for those looking into rims.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:42 PM
ProfessorKan

From Gruppe-S

Speed Star Racing wheels sold by Gruppe-S are inherently different from Speed Star Racing wheels sold by Speed Star Racing USA and its affiliated distributors, including Tire Rack. SSR wheels sold by Gruppe-S include JDM finishes and styles not available in the United States, and must be warrantied by us.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:31 PM
03Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're confused... Tire Rack are simply trying to separate the two because they have worked so hard to sell the "SSR" Brand logo as a light weight semi-solid forged wheel.

That is why they where hesitant to bring in other SSR wheels that are not forged such as the SP-1/Professor (same thing). When they decided to bring it in, they changed the designation to Speed Star Wheels. The wheels are still great quality and made by the same company, just not a racing line wheel, more of a style wheel.

They aren't offering all the available off-sets and colors since they can only stock so many wheels, so they stick to the more popular and conservative sizes. You can still special order any size made from the official North American importer (Eurosport in Hawaii) which is where Tire Rack get them.

If you don't believe me call Luke or Gary at Tirerack and they will explain the same thing. also check out www.speedstar.co.jp
Old 11-09-2004, 12:20 AM
ProfessorKan

Originally posted by 03Z33
You're confused... Tire Rack are simply trying to separate the two because they have worked so hard to sell the "SSR" Brand logo as a light weight semi-solid forged wheel.

That is why they where hesitant to bring in other SSR wheels that are not forged such as the SP-1/Professor (same thing).
No. I'm not confused and they are NOT the same thing.

That quote is from Gary@Tirerack from the E46 forum.

SSR SP-1 is not the same exact wheel as the SSW (tirerack)Professors.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:13 AM
~~O8>

Originally posted by ProfessorKan
No. I'm not confused and they are NOT the same thing.

That quote is from Gary@Tirerack from the E46 forum.

SSR SP-1 is not the same exact wheel as the SSW (tirerack)Professors.
Sorry to tell you this but O3Z33 is correct. The wheels are from the same manufacturer just labeled differently like he said to differentiate lightweight forged technology wheel and that of their cast line.

From ClubLexus Wheel forum/Vendor Tirerack:

We just had a meeting yesterday with SSR and we are going to be carrying some of their other wheels. They will be called Speed Star Wheels and will be pure JDM with anodized lips and NOT semi-solid forged.

We are going to retain the SSR brand for only the SSF wheels and use SSW for their other popular styles that we will be importing, (read big lips inbound).

The first 2 styles are the SP-1 and a new wheel called the D5R.

We will have GS fitment very soon!
877-522-8473 ext. 287
574-287-2345

I'm not Brandon, but that was part of the post from Clublexus just so no one gets confused.

Last edited by ~~O8>; 11-09-2004 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:27 AM
ProfessorKan

Originally posted by ~~O8>
Sorry to tell you this but O3Z33 is correct. The wheels are from the same manufacturer just labeled differently like he said to differentiate lightweight forged technology wheel and that of their cast line.
Original SSR Professor Wheels from Japan is NOT the same Wheels provided by Tire Rack.

As noted by the main SSR distributors here in the US or give Vick a call at wheel options. He's a good friend of mine.

He'll tell you the same thing, they are NOT the same exact wheels.

If thats not enough ask Gruppe-S.

They'll tell you the same thing also.

They are not identical wheels.

Even your SSR Competition is slightly different then SSR Type-C's available in Japan.

As many distritubtors have noted, one wheel is produced in Japan other wheel is produced somewhere else.

Let's not give potential buyers the false impression, only having to realize they are not the same exact wheels they see D1 cars.

If they are the same wheels, why aren't they available in the same finish, same lip, and same offsets that SSR Japan offers?
Old 11-09-2004, 12:02 PM
kzshin

I hope they are not the same. My SP1 is from Japan, however, seen tire rack selling them makes me felt my wheel's value dropped.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:22 PM
OgreDave

They ARE available in those offsets/finishes .. TireRack won't sell/import them. They are the same product just TireRack selectively carries some.

Have you ever tried to buy custom offsets for your car? TireRack does not want to sell you them because they are not that manufacture spec fit for your car.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:52 PM
ProfessorKan

Originally posted by OgreDave
They ARE available in those offsets/finishes .. TireRack won't sell/import them. They are the same product just TireRack selectively carries some.

Have you ever tried to buy custom offsets for your car? TireRack does not want to sell you them because they are not that manufacture spec fit for your car.

Last time I'm going to say this.

These are not identical wheels Japan SSR carries.

Call wheeloptions, gruppe-s, motorex, mackin, whoever that is reputable.

They will say the same thing.

SSR Professor Sp-1 is not the same exact wheels sold by Tire Rack's SSW Sp-1

Whats different?

JDM
- have a better clear finish.
- different method of manufacturing
- available in more offsets
- color option is available
- SSR identification

US / TIRE RACK
- high clear finish is not available
- color option is not avaailable
- smaller selection in size and offsets
Direct quote from gary@tirerack
" SSW wheels have an anodized wheel lip that is easier to damage than the clear coat finish we are used to "

TIRE RACK / SSW have made these wheels out of a different process to better fit US standards, i.e. wear and tear.

This is nothing new. They did the same for the Competition wheels.

Again this is just my research to help others looking for the original SSR Sp1.

This reminds me of people not being able to understand the difference between RH wheels and Racing Hart wheels.

I'll leave the rest of this thread open. No reason to argue this further as I got all the info needed while looking for SSR Sp1's and just thought I'd share.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:59 PM
ProfessorKan

Don't get me wrong, Tire Rack has a great selection of tires and very fast service. I've bought some tires from them before.

It's just that what they offer at Tire Rack might not always be correct.

Couple years ago I asked for BBS LM's for my S14K. Tire Rack sales thought it was a joke and said that BBS would never make LM's in such a bolt pattern and offset, BBS Lms would not fit Japanese cars. Eventhough BBS LMs at that time was very popular in Japan.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:35 PM
kzshin

Just like Nissan USA or MITSU USA OR SUBARU USA.

Couple years ago, if you ask them about GTR or EVO or WRX/STI
They know nothing about it.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:38 PM
kzshin

by the way, profeesorkan. thanks for the info, and don't expected everyone will understand. Just think that there are people think Axis wheels are one of the top notch wheels, and refused to accept they make knock offs.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

oh boy

there is a host of misinformation in here
Old 11-09-2004, 11:40 PM
OgreDave

Originally posted by ProfessorKan
The SSW wheels are made by SSR, but are not forged nor do they have a clearcoated finish.

TIRE RACK / SSW have made these wheels out of a different process to better fit US standards, i.e. wear and tear.

This is nothing new. They did the same for the Competition wheels.

Again this is just my research to help others looking for the original SSR Sp1.

This reminds me of people not being able to understand the difference between RH wheels and Racing Hart wheels.

I'll leave the rest of this thread open. No reason to argue this further as I got all the info needed while looking for SSR Sp1's and just thought I'd share.
I don't think I was clear in what I said above. Ok, see first line of quote .. SSR makes SSW's, just different method whatever / ok.

This is not even close to the same situation as RH Evo / Pro vs RacingHart. RH Evo / Pro are Dazz products .. RacingHart is RacingHart. What you're implying is that SSW isn't made by SSR, which isn't the case.

And .. ummm "SSW" does not 'make' or 'sell' Competitions ? (at least it isn't showing on TireRack. They're still SSR.) All 3 set's of Type-C's I've owned have been SSR. I still have one of the stickers
Old 11-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

these are 100% the same wheels